Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Effect of Tool And Operational Parameters on Performance of Tillage Implements
This article reviews the basic relationships between the soil parameters, tool geometry and operational parameters on the nature of soil disturbance and draft of the tillage tool. These relations will assist designers and operators of tillage implement or tillage tool in selecting the optimal design of the soil working elements and their supporting frame.
Tool Geometry, Operational Parameters, Tillage Tools, Soil Disturbance, Rake Angle, Draft
- A1. bbaspour-fard, M.H., Hosein, S.A., Aghkhani, M.H. and Sharifi, A. (2014). The behavior of tillage tools with acute and obtuse lift angles. Spanish J. Agric. Res., 12(1):44-51.
- Abbaspur-Giladeh, Y., Alimardani, R., Khalilian, A., Keyhani, A. and Sadati, S.H. (2006). Energy requirement of site specific and conventional tillage as affected by tractor speed and soil parameters. Internat. J. Agric. & Biol., 8(4) : 499-503.
- Ademosun, O.C. (1990). The design and operation of a soil tillage dynamics equipment. Nigerian Engg., 25(1):51-57.
- Alelko, O.B. and Seig, D.A. (2000). An experimental investigation of the characteristics and conditions for brittle fracture in two dimensional soil cutting. Soil Tillage & Res., 57 : 143-157.
- Al-Janobi, A.A. and Al-Suhaibani, S.A. (1998). Draft of primary tillage implements in sandy loam soil. Appl. Engg. Agric., 14 (4) : 343-348.
- Al-Suhaibani, S.A., Al-Janobi, A.A. and Al-Majhadi, Y.N. (2006). Tractors and tillage implements performance. Written for presentation at the CBSE/SCGAB. Annual conference Edmonton Alberta. July 16-19.
- Al-Suhaibani, S.A., Al-Janobi, A.A. and Al-Majhadi, Y.N. (2010). Development and evaluation of tractors and tillage implements instrumentation system. American J. Engg. & Appl. Sci., 3(2) : 363-371.
- Al-Suhaibani, S.A. and Ghaly, A.E. (2013). Comparative study of the kinetic parameters of three chisel plows operating at different depths and forward speed in a sandy soil. Internat. J. Engg. & Sci., 2(7): 42–59.
- Arvidsson, J., Keller, T. and Gustaffsson, K. (2004). Specific draft for mould board plough, chisel plough and disc harrow at different water contents. Soil Tillage & Res., 79 : 221-231.
- ASABE Standards (2009). ASAE D497.6, Agricultural machinery management data.
- Badegaonkar, U.R., Dixit, G. and Pathak, K.K. (2010). An experimental investigation of cultivator shank shape o draft requirement. Archives Appl. Sci. Res., 2(6): 246-255.
- Bowers, C.G. (1989). Tillage draft and energy requirements for twelve southeastern soil series. Transactions ASAE, 32(5):1492-1502.
- Chancellor, W. (1994). Friction between soil and equipment materials. ASAE paper no. 94-1034, 1-21. St. Joseph. MI, ASAE.
- Chen, Y. (2002). A liquid manure injection adopted to different soil conditions. Transactions ASAE, 45 : 1729-1736.
- Chi, L. and Kushwaha, R.L. (1990). A non linear 3-D finite element analysis of soil failure with tillage tools. J. Terra Mechanics, 27(4) : 343-366.
- Collins, B.A. and Fowler, D.B. (1996). Effect of soil charecteristics, seeding depth, operating speed and opener design on draft force during direct seeding. Soil Tillage & Res., 39(3-4):199-211.
- Desbiolles, J.M., Godwin, R.J., Kilgour, J. and Blackmore, B.S. (1999). Prediction of tillage implement draught using cone penetrometer data. J. Agric. Engg. Res., 73 : 65–76.
- Despande, S., Shirwal, S. and Basavaraj (2015). Studies on operational parameters of selected tillage tools in soil bin. Internat. J. Latest Trends Engg. & Technol., 5(3):381-389.
- Dinglinger, E. (1932). The cutting of sand. Engg., 134:116-118.
- Fard, S.A. Hoseini, Aghkhani, Mohammad Hossein and Sharifi, Ahmad (2014). The behavior of tillage tools with acute and obtuse lift angles. Spanish J. Agric. Res., 1 : 44-51.
- Gavrilov, F.I. and Koroschkin, E.N. (1994). The underside chamfer of plough shares. Selkhozmashina, 3:18-21. Illus[national. Institute of Agricultural Engineers, Engineering Transaction. 21].
- Gill, W.R. and Vanden Berg, G.E. (1967). Soil dynamics in tillage and traction.Handbook No. 316, U. S.D.A. 511pp.
- Gill, W.R. and Vanden Berg, G.E. (1968). Soil dynamics in tillage and traction. Agricultural handbook 316, Washington DC.: USDA agricultural research service.
- Godwin, R.J. (2006). A review of the effect of implement geometry on soil failure and implement forces. Soil Tillage & Res., 97:331–340.
- Godwin, R.J. (2007). A review of the effect of implement geometry on soil failure and implement forces. Soil Tillage & Res., 97(2) : 331-340.
- Godwin, R.J. and O’Dogherty, M.J. (2007). Integrated soil tillage force prediction models. J. Terra Mechanics, 44(1):314.
- Godwin, R.J. and Spoor, G. (1977). Soil failure with narrow tines. J. Agric. Engg. Res., 22(3) : 213-228.
- Grisso, R.D., Yasin, M. and Kocher, M.F. (1996). Tillage implements forces operating in silty clay loam. Transactions ASAE, 39(6) : 1977-1982.
- Guptha, C.P. and Surendranath (1989). Stress field in soil owing to tillage tool interaction. Soil Tillage & Res., 13:213-228.
- Harrigan, T.M. and Rotz, C.A. (1994). Draft of major tillage seeding equipment. American society of agricultural engineers, paper no. 94-1533, Michigan, USA.
- Horn, R. (1993). Mechanical properties of structured unsaturated soils. Soil Technol., 6 : 47-75.
- Ibrahmi, A., Bentaher, H., Hamza, E., Maalej, A. and Mouazen, A.M. (2015). Study the effect of tool geometry and operational conditions on mouldboard plough forces and energy requirement: part 1 experimental validation with soil bin test. Computers & Electronics Agric., 117 : 258-267.
- John, O., Ayotamano, B.M. and Folorenso, A.O. (1987). Compaction characterization of prominent agricultural soils in Borma State of Nigeria. Transactions ASAE, 30(6): 1575– 1577.
- Jori, I.J. and Radics, P. (2011). Shank selection for disc ripper. J. Agric. Sci. & Technol., 1:532-539.
- Kaburaki, H. and Kisu, M. (1959). Studies on cutting charecteristics of plows. Kanto-Tosan Agriculture Experiment Station Journal (Konosu Japan), 12:90-114.
- Kepner, R.A., Bainer, R. and Barger, E.L. (1978). Principles of farm machinery. Text book.
- Kiss, G.C. and Bellow, D.G. (1981). An analysis of forces on cultivator sweeps and spikes. Canadian Agric. Engg, 23(2):77-83.
- Kushwaha, R.L. and Linke, C. (1996). Draft-speed relationship of simple tillage tools at high operating speeds. Soil Tillage & Res., 39 : 61-73.
- Manuwa, S.I. and Ademosun, O.C. (2007). Draught and soil disturbance of model tillage tines under varying soil parameters. Agricultural engineering international: the CIGR E-journal, vol-9.
- Manuwa, S.I. (2009). Performance evaluation of tillage tines operating under different depths in a sandy clay loam soil. Soil Tillage & Res., 103 : 399-405.
- Marakoglu, T. and Carman, K. (2009). Effects of design parameters of a cultivator share on draft force and soil loosening in a soil bin. J. Agron., 8(1):21-26.
- Mathur, S.M. and Pandey, K.P. (1992). Influence of system parameters on performance of reversible hoe typefurrow opener for animal drawn seed and fertilizer drills. Proceedings of the international agricultural engineering conference. Asian institute of technology, Bangkok, Thailand, pp:143-150.
- McKibben and Reed, I.F. (1952). The influence of speed on the performance charecteristics of implements. Pager, SAE national tractor manufacturing Milwaukee, Wis., pp. 5. Illustrated.
- McKyes, E. and Maswaure, J. (1997). Effect of design parameters of flat tillage tools on loosening of a clay soil. Soil Tillage & Res., 43(3-4):197-206.
- Mouazen, A.M. (2002). Mechanical behavior of the upper layers of a sandy loam soil under shear loading. J. Terra Mechanics, 39 :115-126.
- Mouzen, A.M. and Ramon, H. (2002). A numerical- statistical hybrid modeling shceme for evaluation of draft requirements of a subsoiler cutting a sandy loam soil, as affected by moisture content, bulk density and depth. Soil Tillage & Res., 63 :155-165.
- Muysen, Wouter Van, Govers, Gerard, Oost, Kristof Van and Rompaey, Anton Van (2000). The effect of tillage depth, tillage speed and soil condition on chisel tillage erosivity. J. Soil & Water Conservation, 3(3) : 354-363.
- Naderloo, L., Alimadani, R., Akram, A., Javadikia, P. and Khanghah, H.Z. (2009). Tillage depth and forward speed effects on draft of three primary tillage implements in clay loam soil. J. Food, Agric. & Environ., 7(4) : 382-385.
- Nichols, M.L. (1925). The sliding of metal over soil. J. Agric. Engg., 6 : 80-84.
- Nichols, M.L. and Reaves, C.A. (1958). Soil reaction: to sub soiling equipment. J. Agric. Engg., 39:340-343.
- Nichols, M.L. (1931). The dynamic properties of soil. J. Agric. Engg., 12(8):1-4.
- Nichols, M.L., Reed, I.F. and Reaves, C.A. (1958).Soil reaction: to plow share design. J. Agric. Engg., 39 : 336-339.
- O’collaghan, J.R. and McCoy, J.G. (1965). The handling of soil by mould board ploughs. J. Agric. Engg. Res., 10 : 23-35.
- Onwualu, A.P. and Watts, K.C. (1998). Draught and vertical forces obtained from dynamic soil cutting by plane tillage tools. Soil Tillage & Res., 48 : 239-253.
- Payne, P.C.J. (1956). The relationship between the mechanical properties of soil and the performance of simple cultivation implements. J. Agric. Engg. Res., 1:23-50.
- Payne, P.C.J. and Tanner, D.W. (1959). The realtionaship between rake angle and the performance of simple cultivation implements. J. Agric. Engg. Res., 4(4) : 312-325.
- Payne, P.C.J. (1956). A field method of measuring soil metal friction. J. Soil Sci., 7 : 235-241.
- Ranjbarian, S., Askari, M. and Jannatkhah, J. (2015). Performance of tractor and tillage implements in clay soil. J. Saudi Society of Agric. Sci., 16(2) :154-162.
- Raper, R.L. and Sharma, A.K. (2002). Proc. 25th Southern conservation tillage conference.
- Raper, R.L. (2002). Force requirements and soil disruption of stright and bent leg subsoilers for conservation tillage system. ASAE annual international meeting. Chicago, Illinois, USA, July 28-31.
- Rashidi, M., Lehmali, H.F., Fayyazi, M., Akbari, H. and Jaberinasab, B. (2013). Effect of soil moisture content, tillage depth and forward speed on draft force of double action disc harrow. American-Europian J. Agric. & Environ. Sci., 13(8) : 1124-1128.
- Rathje, J. (1932). The cutting of sand. Engg., 134:116-118.
- Sahu, R.K. and Raheman, H. (2006). Draught prediction of agricultural implements using reference tillage tools in sandy clay loam soil. Biosystems Engg., 94(2) : 275-284.
- Sapkale, P.R., Sharma, A.K., Bastewad, T.B. and Mahajan, J.B. (2010). Effect of tool shape and operating parameters on soil disruption of cultivator sweeps in sandy loam soil. Internat. J. Agric. Engg., 3(2):192-198.
- Shinde, G.U., Badgujar, P.D. and Kajale, S.R. (2011). Experimental analysis of tillage tool shovel geometry on soil disruption by speed and depth of operation. International conference on environmental and agriculture engineering. Vol.15, Singpore.
- Smith, L.A. and Williford, J.R. (1988). Power requirements of convetinal, triplex and parabolic subsoilers. Transactions ASAE, 31:1685-1688.
- Soehne, W. (1960). Suiting the plow body shape to higher speeds. Grundlagen der land technik. 12:51-62. [national institution agricultural engineering translation].
- Spoor, G. (1969). Design of soil engaging implements. Farm Machine Fesign Engg., 3 : 22-26.
- Swick, W.C. and Perumal, J.V. (1988). A model for predicting soil tool interaction. J. Terra Mechanics, 25(1):43-56.
- Tanner, D.W. (1960). Further work the relationship between rake angle and the performance of simple cultivation implements. J. Agric. Engg. Res., 5:307-315.
- Telischi, B., McColly, E.F. and Erickson, E. (1956). Draft measurement for tillage tools. Agr. Engr., 37(9): 605-608.
- Upadhyaya, S.K., Williams, T.H., Kemble, L.J. and Collins, N.E. (1984). Energy requirements for chiseling in coastal plain soils. Transactions of ASAE, 27 : 1643-1649.
- Van Muysen, W., Govers, G., Van-oost, K. and Van Rompaey, A. (2000). The effect of tillage depth, tillage speed and soil condition on chisel tillage erosivity. J. Soil & Water Conservation, 55(3):355-364.
- Wiesmer, R.D. and Luth, H.J. (1970). Performance of plane cutting blades in clay. ASAE paper no. 70-120.
- Zelenin, A.N. (1950). Basic physics of the theory of soil cutting 353 pp illus. Mascow.
Abstract Views: 10
PDF Views: 0