Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Effect of In-situ Moisture Conservation Methods on Growth and Yield of Pigeonpea In Semiarid Conditions of Karnataka
Broad bed furrow(BBF) and tied ridging (TR) were evaluated in ten farmer’s fields during rainy-winter (Kharif-Rabi) seasons of 2018-19 and 2019-20 in Vertisols at Vijayapur, Karnataka. Adopting BBF and tied ridging increased the grain yield by 24.64, 11.68 per cent for 2018-19 and 26.27, 11.21 per cent for 2019-20, respectively. The increase in grain yield indicates that BBF is effective for in-situ rainwater conservation and improving profile soil moisture in Vertisols. However BBF technology conserved higher soil moisture as compared to tied ridging and farmer’s practice over the entire crop growth period. Higher gross and net returns with greater B:C ratio was observed with layout of farmers fields with BBF technology.
Pigeonpea, Broad Bed Furrow, Vertisols
- Devi, M.U., Santaiah, V., Rao, S.R., Rao, A.P. and Rao, M.S. (1991). Effect of conservation tillage practices and nitrogen levels on moisture and residual nitrogen in Alfisol under rainfed castor. J. Oilseeds Res.,. 8(1): 40-45.
- Gomez, K.A. and Gomez, A.A. (1984). Statistical Procedures for Agricultural Research. 2nd Edn., John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York, USA., pp: 13-175.
- Ejieji, C.J. and Adeniran, K.A. (2010). Effects of water and fertilizer stress on the yield, fresh and dry matter production of grain Amaranth (Amaranthus cruentus). Aust. J. Agric. Engg., 1(1) : 18-24.
- Jadhav, S.B., Tekale, D., Pawar, S.N. and Kalbande, S.R. (2008). Comparison of ICRISAT and conventional methods of groundnut cultivation under sprinkler irrigation. Internat. J. Agric. Sci., 4 : 646-648.
- Mathukia, R.K. and Khanpara, V.D. (2009). Effect of in-situ moisture conservation and zinc fertilization on soil properties and productivity of castor (Ricinus communis L.). Indian J. Dryland Agric. Res. &Dev., 24 (2): 94-95.
- Maurya, N.L. and Devadattam, D.S.K. (1987). Proc. 23rdannual conven. Indian Society of Agricultural Engineers, Jabalpur, India, 9-11 March, pp. 77-85.
- Nagavallemma, K.P., Wani, S.P., Reddy, M.S. and Pathak, P. (2005). Effect of landform and soil depth on productivity of soybean-based cropping systems and erosion losses in Vertic Inceptisols. Indian J. Soil Conservation, 33 (2): 132–136.
- Patil, S.L. and Sheelavantar, M.N. (2004). Effect of cultural practices on soil properties, moisture conservation and grain yield of winter sorghum (Sorghum bicolar L. Moench) in Semi Arid Tropics of India. Agric. Water Manage., 64 : 49–67.
- Rao, C.S., Steiner, J.L. and Mayeux, H.S. (2007). The Role of World’s Agricultural Lands for Future Food Security in India, In Book on Challenges and Strategies for Dryland Agriculture (Ed. Barbarick, K.A. and Co-Ed. Rao, C.S and John Ryan), pp. 1–10.
- Sharda, V.N. and Juyal, G.P. (2007). Rainwater harvesting, groundwater recharge and efficient use in high rainfall areas. In: Ensuring Water and Environment for Prosperity and Posterity Souvenir. 10th Inter-Regional Conference on Water and Environment (ENVIROWAT 2007), 17–20, October, pp. 59–70.
- Singh, H.P., Sharma, K.D., Subba Reddy, G. and Sharma, K.L. (2007). Dryland Agriculture in India, In Book on Challenges and Strategies for Dryland Agriculture (Ed. Barbarick, K.A. and Co-Ed. Rao, C.S. and John Ryan), pp. 67–92.
- Singh, M.V. (1999). Current status of micro and secondary nutrients deficiencies and crop response in different agroecological regions. Fertilizer News, 44 (4): 63-82.
- Singh, P., Alagarswamy, C., Pathak, P., Wani, S.P., Hoogenboom, G. and Virmani, S.M. (1999). Soybean- chickpea rotation on Vcrticlnceptisols I. Effect of soil depth and landform on light interception, water balance and crop yields. Field Crops Res., 63: 211-224.
- Somasundaram, J., Lakaria, B.L., Saha, R., Sinha, N.K., Jha, P., Chaudhary, R.S., Singh, R.K., Manadal, D., Hati, K.M.,Ramesh, K., Vassanda, C., Biswas, A.K., Dey, P., Sammi Reddy, K. and Subba Rao, A. (2014). Management of stressed soils of dryland agriculture in semi-arid tropics-A review. Indian J. Soil Conserv., 42 : 178–187.
- Suryawanshi, M. W., Jadhav, G. S., Jadhav, P. D. and Jagtap, P. B. (2008). Influence of land layouts and irrigation schedules on yield and water-yield response function of groundnut. J. Soils &Crops, 18 : 112-116.
- Venkateswarlu, B. and Shanker, A.K. (2009). Climate change and agriculture: adaptation and mitigation strategies. Indian J. Agron., 54 : 226–230.
- Wani, S.P., Pathak, P., Sachan, R.C. and Pande, S. (2005). Conservation tillage for enhancing productivity and protecting environment: ICRISAT experience. Conservation AgricultureStatus and Prospects, pp 176–90. Abrol, I P., Gupta, R. K. and Malik, R.K. (Eds). Centre for Advancement of Sustainable Agriculture, NationalAgriculture Science Centre Complex, New Delhi. Indian J. Soil Conservation, 33(2): 132–6.
Abstract Views: 9
PDF Views: 0