Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Drying Characteristics of Bael Pulp Using Different Drying Methods and Different Varieties
Drying is an essential process in the preservation of agricultural products. Various drying methods are employed to dry different agricultural products. Each method has its own advantages and limitations. Choosing the right drying system is thus important in the process of drying agricultural products. An experimental study was performed to determine the drying characteristics of bael pulp subjected to drying in open sun, hot air oven at 60°C and 70°C and cabinet tray dryer at 60°C and 70°C with different varieties Pant Aparna (V1), Pant Shivani (V2) and Pant Urvashi (V3). The entire drying process took place in the falling rate period. Drying curves were constructed using non-dimensional moisture ratio (MR) and time. Drying is the most widely used and a primary method for preservation. According to the experimental result this study revealed that the V1 (Variety Pant Aparna) sample required lower drying time than the other Varieties sample. The drying time decrease with increase of drying air temperature. It was observed that drying process took place in falling rate period. The result indicated that the cabinet tray dryer at 70°C was found better drying characteristics compare to other drying temperatures and methods.
Bael Pulp, Sun Drying, Tray Drying, Hot Air Oven Drying, Moisture Content, Moisture Ratio, Drying Rate
- Alibas, I. (2012). Microwave drying of grapevine (vitisvinifera L.) leaves and determination of some quality parameters. J. Agric. Sci., 18 : 43-53
- Ayhan, A. and Alibas, K. (2005). Determination of dehydration parameters of some agricultural products dehydrated by vacuum. Master’s thesis Uludag University, Bursa Ceylan, I., Aktas, M. and Dogan, H. (2006). Apple drying at kiln by solar energy. J. Polytechnic, 9 : 289-294.
- Chaudhary, V., Kumar, V., Sunil, Kumar, R., Kumar, V. and Singh, B. (2019). Studies on drying and rehydration characteristics of osmotreatedpineapple slices using different tray drying temperatures. Internat.J. Agric. Engg., 12(1):25-30,
- Chaudhary, V., Kumar, V., Sunil, Chandra, S., Samsher and Singh, B.R. (2019). Effects on drying characteristics of osmotic dehydrated pineapple (Ananascomosus) slices using different drying temperatures. South Asian J. Food Tech. & Environ., 5(1): 778-784.
- Chundawat, B.S. (1990). Arid Fruit Culture. Oxford & IBH Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd. , New Delhi, India. Congress, 8, 730-731.
- Doymaz, I. (2004). Effect of pre-treatment using potassium metabisulphite and alkaline ethyloleate on the drying kinetics of apricots. Biosystems Engineering, 89:281-287.
- Er, T. and Akbulut, M. (2011). Effects of different drying temperature on some physical and phyto-chemical properties of red beet. Master’s thesis Selcuk University, Konya.
- Geetha, R. and Sarojoni, G. (1998). Macronutrient and micro mineral composition of home processed dehydrated foods. Indian Fd. Industry, 17(6): 357-360.
- Guine, R.P.F. and Barroca, M.J. (2012). Effect of drying treatments on texture and color of vegetables (pumpkin and green pepper). Food & Bioproducts Processing, 90 : 58-63.
- John, L. and Stevenson, V. (1979). The complete book of fruit. Angus and Robertson Publishers Sydney.
- Kapoor, B.L. (1998). Dehydrated industry in India- status and constraints. Indian Food Packer, 52 (5): 40-41.
- Kumar, A., Singh, S., Singh, B.R., Chauhan, N., Mishra, D.K. and Singh, G.R. (2017). Drying characteristics of ginger slices using different drying methods and pretreatments. Prog. Agric., 17 (2): 205-211.
- Rai, M., Gupta, P.N. and Dewedi, R. (1991).Variability in Bael germplasm. Indian J. Plant Genetic Resources, 40: 86-91.
- Ranganna, S. (1995). Handbook of analysis and quality control for fruits and vegetable products.2nded, Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Company Limited, New Delhi, India Rapusas, R.S. and Drisoll, R.H. (1995). Thermophysical properties of fresh and dried while onion slices. J. Food Engineering, 24 : 955-963.
- Rocha, T., Lebert, A. and Marty-Audoin, C. (1992). Effect of drying condition on color of mint (menthaapicatahuds) and basil (oumunbasilium). In A.S. Muyumber (Ed), (13):60-66.
- Roy, S.K. and Singh, R.N. (1981). Studies on ripening of bael fruits (Aeglemarmelos). Punjab. Hort. J., x 21(122):74-82.
- Roy, S.K. and Singh, R.N. (1979). Bael fruit (Aegle marmelos) a potential fruit for processing. Econ Bot., x 33(2):203-212.
- Sahay, K.M. and Singh, K.K. (2004).Unit operations of agricultural processing. Vikas publishing House Private Limited, New Delhi, India.
- Wu, L., Orikasa, T., Ogawa, Y. and Tagawa, A. (2007).Vacuum drying characteristics of eggplants. J. Food Engg., 83: 422-429.
- Anonymous (2015).National Horticulture Board. http://apeda.in/agriexchange/India%20Production/India_Productions.aspx?cat=frut&hscode=1041
Abstract Views: 10
PDF Views: 0