Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
An Investigation on the Anti-Corrosion Characteristics of Stainless Steel Cladding
Cladding through GMAW can be done on surfaces of components and structures exposed to corrosive environment to raise their service life. Corrosion resistant materials are clad up on to a corrosion prone material up to a desired thickness. Since clad materials are basically of different compositions, they are dissimilar in nature. In the present work, cladding of austenitic stainless steel (316) is done on to low alloy steel specimens under varying parametric combinations. Clad quality including metallography is studied on clad specimens at different locations of it. Corrosion tests performed on clad specimens show substantially less corrosion pits present on the surface of clad portions than that on the surface of unclad portion. At a weld voltage of 26 V, weld current of 145 A, and weld speed of 535.8 mm/min, with a heat input of 0.338 kJ/mm, corrosion rate is observed to be the minimum among the experiments conducted, and hence, can be recommended to adopt.
Cladding, Austenitic Stainless Steel, Corrosion, Welding, GMAW, Heat Input.
- [ I ] Alam N, Jarvis L, Harris D and Solta A (2002); Laser cladding for repair of engineering components, Australian Welding Journal, 47, pp.38-47.
- Ratkus A, Torims T and Gutakovskis V (2012); Research on bucket bore renewal technologies. Proceedings of the 8th Int. DAAAM Baltic Conference, Tallinn, Estonia, pp.1-5.
- Kumar V, Singh G and Yusufzal MZK (2012); Effects of process parameters of gas metal arc welding on dilution in cladding of stainless steel on mild steel, MIT International Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 2(2), pp.127-131.
- Murugan N and Parmar RS (1994); Effects of MIG process parameters on the geometry of the bead In the automatic surfacing of stainless steel. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 41, pp.381s-398s.
- Kannan T and Yoganandh J (2010); Effect of process parameters on clad bead geometry and its shape relationships of stainless steel claddings deposited by GMAW, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 47, pp.1083-1095.
- Sabiruddin K, Das S and Bhattacharya S (2013); Selection of appropriate process parameters for gas meatal arc welding of medium carbon steel specimens. International Journal of Analytic Hierarchy Process, 5(2); pp.252-267.
- Sreeraj P, Kannan T and Maji S (2013); Prediction and control of weld bead geometry in gas metal arc welding process using simulated annealing algorithm. International Journal of Computational Engineering Research, 3(1), pp.213-222.
- Sarkar A and Das S (2011); Application of grey-based taguchi method for optimizing gas metal arc welding of stainless steels, Indian Welding Journal, 44(1), pp.37-48.
- Palani PK and Murugan N (2007); Optimisation of weld bead geometry for stainless steel cladding deposited by FCAW, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 190, pp.291-299.
- Ghosh PK, Gupta PC and Goyal VK (1998); Stainless steel cladding of structural steel plates using the pulsed current GMAW process. Welding Research Supplement, Welding Journal, pp.307s-314s.
- ChakrabartI B, Das H, Das S and Pal TK (2013); Study on clad quality of duplex stainless steel by gas metal arc welding process. Transactions of Indian Institute of Metals, 66(3), pp.221-230.
- Kannan T and Muguran N (2006); Effect of flux cored arc welding process parameters on duplex stainless steel clad quality. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 176, pp.230-239.
- Nouri M, Abdollah-Zadeh A and Maiek F (2007); Effect of welding parameters on dilution and weld bead geometry in cladding. Journal of Materials Science and Technology, 23(6), pp.817-822.
- Palani PK and Muguran N (2006); Development of mathematical models for prediction of weld bead geometry in cladding by flux cored arc welding. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 30, pp.669-676.
- Khara B, Mandal ND, Sarkar A, Sarkar M, Chakarbarti B and Das S (2016); Weld cladding with austenitic stainless steel for imparting corrosion resistance, Indian Welding Journal, 49(1), pp.74-81.
- Verma AK, Biswas BC, Roy P, De S, Saren S and Das S (2013); Exploring quality of austenitic stainless steel clad layer obtained by metal active gas welding, Indian Science Cruiser, 27(4), pp.24-29.
- Rao NV, Reddy GM and Nagarjuna S (2011); Weld overlay cladding of high strength low alloy steel with austenitic stainless steel structure and properties. Materials and Design, 32, pp.2496-2506.
- Tsal WT and Chen JR (2007); Galvanic corrosion between the constituent phases in duplex stainless steel. Corrosion Science, 49, pp.3659-3668.
- Mondal A, Saha MK, Hazra Rand DasS (2016); Influence of heat Input on weld bead geometry using duplex stainless steel wire electrode on low alloy steel specimens. Cogent Engineering, 3(1), p. 1143598.
- Funderburk RS (1999); Key concepts in welding engineering. Welding Innovation, 16(1), pp. 1-4.
- ElmerJW, Allen SM and Eager TW (1989); Microstructural development during solidification of stainless steel alloys. Metallurgical Transactions A, 20A, pp.217-231.
- Martins M and CastelettI LC (2005); Heat treatment temperature Influence on ASTM A890 GR 6A super duplex stainless steel microstructure. Materials Characterization, 55(3), pp.225-233.
Abstract Views: 53
PDF Views: 6