Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Relevance of Fast Track Integrative Approaches for the Control of COVID-19
The current global pandemic of COVID-19 has spread over 212 countries with marked morbidity and substantial mortality. This has resulted in colossal burden on the worldwide healthcare system. Globally the management of this new disease is primarily supportive and resuscitative. Vaccine and anti-COVID-19 drugs are still under development. Oriental medicine of India and China and the medicinal plants offer a potential for a fast track development of phytopharmaceuticals. In the present overview we have shortlisted the following Indian medicinal plants, based on their traditional usage and scientific rationale: Phyllanthus amarus Schum and Thonn., Berberis aristata DC., Swertia chirata and Androgaphis paniculata (Burm. f.). These medicinal plants and the phytoactives can be rapidly evaluated for anti-COVID-19 activity through reverse pharmacology.
COVID-19, Reverse Pharmacology, Medicinal Plants, Antiviral Activity, Phytopharmaceuticals.
- COVID-19 situation update worldwide, as of 12 May 2020. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geographical-distribution-2019-ncov-cases
- Rosa SGV, Santos WC. Clinical trials on drug repositioning for COVID-19 treatment. Rev Panam Salud Publica. 2020; 44:e40. https://doi.org/10.26633/RPSP.2020.40
- Guo YR, Cao QD, Hong ZS, Tan YY, Chen SD et al. The origin, transmission and clinical therapies on coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak- an update on the status. Military Medical Research. 2020; 7:11.
- Li Y, Liu X, Guo L, Li J, Zhong D et al. Traditional Chinese herbal medicine for treating novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pneumonia: protocol for a systematic review and metaanalysis. Syst Rev. 2020; 9:75.
- Nussbaumer-Streit B, Mayr V, Dobrescu AI, Chapman A, Persad E et al. Quarantine alone or in combination with other public health measures to control COVID-19: a rapid review. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020; 4:CD013574.
- Tillu G, Chaturvedi S, Chopra A and Patwardhan B. Public Health Aprroach of Ayurveda and Yoga for COVID-19 prophylaxis. J Alteren Complim Med. 2020; 10:1-5.
- Luo H, Tang QL, Shang YX, Liang SB, Yang M, Robinson N, Liu JP. Can Chinese Medicine Be Used for Prevention of Corona Virus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)? A Review of Historical Classics, Research Evidence and Current Prevention Programs. Chin J Integr Med. 2020 Apr; 26(4):243-250.
- Nikhat S, Fazil M. Overview of COVID-19; its prevention and management in the light of Unani medicine. Sci Total Environ. 2020 Apr 22; 728:138859.
- Vaidya AB, Roy A, Chagutur R. How to rekindle drug discovery process through integrative therapeutic targeting? Expert Opin Drug Discov. 2018; 13(10):893-898.
- Sharma SK, Sheela MA. Pharmacognostic evaluation of leaves of certain Phyllanthus species used as a botanical source of Bhumyamalaki in Ayurveda.Ayu. 2011; 32:250-253.
- Patel JR, Tripathi P, Sharma V, Chauhana NS, Dixit VK. Phyllanthus amarus: Ethnomedicinal uses, phytochemistry and pharmacology: a review. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011; 138:286-313.
- Venkateswaran PS, Millman I, Blumberg BS. Effects of an extract from Phyllanthus niruri on hepatitis B and woodchuck hepatitis viruses: in vitro and in vivo studies. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1987; 84(1):274-8.
- Doshi JC, Vaidya AB, Antarkar DS, Deolalikar R, Antani DH. A two-stage clinical trial of Phyllanthus amarus in hepatitis B carriers: failure to eradicate the surface antigen. Indian J Gastroenterol.1994; 13(1):7-8.
- Notka F, G.R. Meiera GR, Wagner R. Inhibition of wild-type human immunodeﬁciency virus and reverse transcriptase inhibitor-resistant variants by Phyllanthus amarus. Antiviral Res. 2003; 58(2):175–18.
- Choi J, Kim YS, Kim JH, Hwan-Suck Chung HS. Antiviral activity of ethanol extract of Geranii Herba and its components against influenza viruses via neuraminidase inhibition. Scientific Reports. 2019; 9(1):1-12.
- Harikumar KB, Kuttan G, Kuttan R. Inhibition of Viral Carcinogenesis by Phyllanthusamarus. Integrative Cancer Therapies. 2009; 8:254-25.
- Bhava Mishra, Bhavprakash nighantu. The Vidyotini Hindi commentary. Ed. By Bhavshankar Mishra and Rupali Vaisya; Chaukhamba Sanskrit Sansthan. Pg no 118-120.
- Enkhtaivan G, Muthuraman P, Kim DH, Mistry B. Discovery of berberine based derivatives as anti-influenza agent through blocking of neuraminidase. Bioorg Med Chem. 2017; 25:5185-5193.
- Yan YQ, Fu YJ, Wu S, Qin HQ, Xiao Zhen X et al. Anti‐influenza activity of berberine improves prognosis by reducing viral replication in mice. Phytotherapy Research. 2018; 32:25602567.
- Wang Q, Qi J, Hu R, Chen Y, Kijlstra A, Yang P. Effect of berberine on pro inflammatory cytokine production by ARPE-19 cells following stimulation with tumor necrosis factor-α. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012; 53:2395-2402.
- Kumar R, Nair V, Gupta YK, Singh S, Arunraja S. Berberis aristata Ameliorates Adjuvant Induced Arthritis by Inhibition of NF-κB and Activating Nuclear Factor-E2related Factor 2/hem Oxygenase (HO)-1 Signaling Pathway. Immunol Invest. 2016; 45(6):473-489.
- Chunekar KC. Hindi Commentary on Bhavprakash Nighantu by Bhavamishra. Edited by Pandey GS. Choukhambha Bharati Academy, Varanasi. Reprint. 2018:70.
- Verma H, Patil P R, Kolhapure R M, Gopalkrishna V. Antiviral activity of the Indian medicinal plant extract, Swertia chirata against herpes simplex viruses: A study by in-vitro and molecular approach. Indian J Med Microbiol. 2008; 26:322-326.
- Zhou NJ, Geng CA, Huang XY, Ma YB, Zhang XM et al. Antihepatitis B virus active constituents from Swertia chirayita. Fitoterapia. 2015; 100:27–34.
- Chunekar KC. Hindi Commentary on Bhavprakash Nighantu by Bhavamishra. Edited by Pandey GS. Choukhambha Bharati Academy, Varanasi. Reprint. 2018:73.
- Vaidya BG. Nigantu Adarsha,Vol. II, edn. Varanasi: Chaukhambha Bharati Academy; 2009:229-230.
- Ramsey C, Kumar A. H1N1: viral pneumonia as a cause of acute respiratory distress syndrome. Curr Opin Crit Care. 2011; 17:64-71.
- Chen JX, Xue HJ, Ye WC, Fang BH, Liu YH, Yuan SH et al. Activity of andrographolide and its derivatives against influenza virus in vivo and in vitro. Biol Pharm Bull. 2009; 32:1385-1391.
- Chao W, Lin B. Isolation and identification of bioactive compounds in Andrographis paniculata (Chuanxinlian). Chin Med. 2010; 5:17. https://doi.org/10.1186/1749-8546-5-17.
- Jayakumar T, Hsieh CY, Lee JJ, Sheu JR. Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology of Andrographis paniculata and Its Major Bioactive Phytoconstituent Andrographolide. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013; 2013:846740.
- Bhatt A. Clinical trials during the COVID-19 pandemic: Challenges of putting scientific and ethical principles into practice. Perspect Clin Res. 2020; 11:59-63.
Abstract Views: 15
PDF Views: 1