Open Access Subscription Access
Dalits Position and Development
One of the prominent aspects of economic, political and social relations revolves around the issues of inequality based on class, caste, race and gender. In the context of India, caste based politics has always remained in the forefront. But during the last two decades, the assertion of the people from low castes including the Dalits has assumed unprecedented significance. The Dalit question is one of the most important questions in today’s political and academic debates in India. Dalit assertion, Dalit leadership and voting pattern of the Dalits etc., are the elements of these debates. This paper is also an attempt to understand the social structure of our society and the legal and social position of Dalits in reference to the time period.
Indian Social System, Varna Vyawastha, Shudras, Dalits, SC/ST.
- O' Malley L.S.S., Indian Caste Customs, Vikas Publishing House Pvt. Ltd. Delhi, p.137
- In the Punjab Census Report for 1911.
- Simon Commission Report (1930), vol-I, pp. 39, 67
- Forbes, James.(1834) Oriental Memoirs, vol. I, p.254
- Vide E. Thurston (1909) Castes and Tribes of South India, Vol.III, p. 428.
- Craddock, Sir Reginald (1929) The Dilemma in Indian p.24.
- Itolland, W.E.S (1926) The Indian Outlook, pp.76-80.
- Michel S.M Dalit Vision of a Just Society in India vision & Values, Second edition, Sage Publications Chapter 4, p. 108.
- Omvedt, Gail., (1996) Dalit Vision. The Anti-caste Movement and the Construction of and Indian Identity. New Delhi : Orient Longman, Tracts for the Times/8
- O'Hanlon, Rosalind (1985) Caste, Conflict and Idelogy. Mahatma Jotirao Phule and Low Caste Protest in Nineteenth-Century Western India. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- Baxi, Upendra (1994) 'Emancipation as Justice : Babasaheb Ambedkar's Legacy and Vision', in Ambedkar and Social Justice, Vol. 1. Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India.
- Das, Bhagwan and James Massey (1995) Dalit Solidarity. New Delhi : The Indian Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge (ISPCK).
- Godbole, Madhav (1997) Crime and Punishment : Trying Times for Tribal Peoples, The Times of India, 14 February, p. 14 (Mumbai).
- Alam, Javed (2001) 'Is Caste Appeal Casteism ? Oppressed Castes in Politics', in Surinder Jodhka (ed.), Communities and Identities. New Delhi : Sage Publications.
- Vinaik, Achin (1997) Communalism Contested : Religion, Modernity and Secularization. New Delhi : Vistaar.
- Shourie, Arun (1997) Worshipping False God : Ambedkar and the Facts which have been erased. New Dehli : ASA Publications.
Abstract Views: 7
PDF Views: 1