Open Access Subscription Access
Vote Buying and Social Imagination:A Case Study of RK Nagar By-Election, Tamilnadu
Vote buying has become a biggest problem in conducting free and fair elections in India. The threats they impose undermine the very nature of Indian democracy. What is the reason behind such immoral incidents in politics? The paper tries to understand these events through a case study of recently concluded RK Nagar by-poll, which saw the rise of TTV Dinakaran, the nephew of Sasikala Natarajan as a potent force in Tamilnadu politics. The paper tries to analyse the discourses of the people regarding ‘money’ and ‘politics’ dictated by their socio- political context and tries to understand the meaning they attach to ‘money’ and ‘politics’ and through that analysis, the paper tries to locate these corrupt practises in the lack of ‘Social imagination’ by its people.
Social Imagination, Political Culture, Vote Buying, RK Nagar, Cash for Votes, Charismatic Authority.
- Almond, G. A. (1956). Comparative Political systems. Journal of Politics, 28, 391-409.
- Behindwoods. (2017, december 14). TTV Dhinakaran gave Rs.4,000 as Advance Booking. Retrieved december 27, 2017, from Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3o8n4MdXc& t=365s
- Behindwoods Tv. (2017, December 24). How much is 20 Rupees worth in RK Nagar? | Public Reveal on Camera! . Retrieved december 27, 2017, from Behindwoods Tv: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dhVVete86w
- Deccan Chronicle. (2017, January 6). In Jayalalithaa's constituency, Sasikala Natarajan an unwanted successor. Retrieved december 26, 2017, from https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nation/currentaffairs/060117/in-jayalalithaas-constituencysasikalanatarajan-an-unwanted-successor.html
- Devasahayam, M., & Suresh, V. (2011). Cash in Tamilnadu elections. Economic and political weekly, 46 (15), 5.
- Eisenstadt, S. (1968). Max Weber on Charisma and Institution Building. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- Hardgrave(jr), R. L. (1969). The Nadars of Tamilnadu: The Political culture of community in change. Los Angeles: University of California.
- Heitzman, J. (2008). The city in south Asia. New York: Routledge.
- India Today. (2017, December 19). Ground zero report from RK Nagar: Parties pay Rs 1k-6k per vote for Amma's legacy. Retrieved december 27, 2017, from India Today: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/programme/rk-nagarbypollground-zero-report-parties-pay-rs-6000-pervotefor-ammas-legacy/1/1114021.html
- Janarthanan, A. (2017, december 25). AIADMK hit, DMK rattled as TTV Dinakaran wins RK nagar seat. Retrieved december 26, 2017, from Indian Express: http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ttv-dinakaranwinsrk-nagar-bypoll-leaves-eps-ops-camp-redfacedjayalalithaa-aiadmk-4997245/
- Madhav, P. (2016, December 26). Chennai based NGO alleges Sasikala, family involved in land grabbing atrocities. Retrieved december 27, 2017, from India Today: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/jayalalithaasasikalasudhakaran-land-grabbing/1/843185.html
- Mitra, A., Mitra, S., & Mukherji, A. (2017). Cash for votes: Evidence from India, School of economics discussion papers, No. 1711. Canterbury: University of Kent, school of economics.
- Narasiah, K. (2008). Madras: Tracing the growth of the city since 1639. Chennai: Oxygen books.
- RED PIX. (2017, March 30). RK NAGAR Bypoll - DMK is winning (translated from Tamil). Retrieved December 27, 2017, from YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYhoJud-2UE
- Savukku. (2014, December 1). The Audacity of greed. Retrieved December 27, 2017, from Savukku online: https://www.savukkuonline.com/9097/
Abstract Views: 13
PDF Views: 2