Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Forecasting Electricity Consumption of Residential Users Based on Lifestyle Data using Artificial Neural Networks
Electricity is the lifeline of almost everything in this 21st century. Residential electricity consumption has seen an increase both locally and globally. Therefore, it has become a global concern of significant importance to promote electrical energy consumption reduction (energy conservation) within the household for a viable development of a nation in the case of resource limitations. The current study seeks to identify the social psychology (lifestyle) factors that significantly influence the residential electricity consumption, and predict future electricity consumption using an artificial neural network (ANN) based on lifestyle data collected from three hundred and fifty (350) households in the Sunyani Municipality. The performance metrics RMSE, MSE, MAPE, and MAE, were used to estimate the performance of the proposed model. The RMSE (0.000726) and MAE (0.000976) of the proposed model compared to (RMSE = 0.0657 and MAE = 0.05714) for Decision Trees (DT) and (RMSE = 0.08816 and MAE = 0.06911) for Support Vector Regression (SVR) shows a better fit of the proposed model. Furthermore, it was observed that the type of vehicle (saloon or sport utility vehicle) used by the head of a household was the most significant lifestyle feature in forecasting residential electricity consumption. Future studies would focus on developing a vigorous model using a combination of weather parameters and several socio-economic factors based on hybrid machine-learning algorithms to increase forecasting accuracy.
Load Forecasting, Lifestyle Data, Hybrid Machine-Learning, Artificial Neural Network.
- I.K. Nti, S. Asafo Adjei and M. Agyemang, “Predicting Monthly Electricity Demand using Soft-Computing Technique”, International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 1967-1973, 2019.
- Z. Guo, K. Zhou, C. Zhang, X. Lu, W. Chen and S. Yang, “Residential Electricity Consumption Behavior: Influencing Factors, Related Theories and Intervention Strategies”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 81, No. 1, pp. 399-412, 2018.
- N.I. Nwulu and O.P. Agboola, “Modelling and Predicting Electricity Consumption using Artificial Neural Networks”, Proceedings of 11th International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering, pp. 1059-1063, 2012.
- A. Bogomolov, B. Lepri, R. Larcher, F. Antonelli, F. Pianesi and A. Pentland, “Energy Consumption Prediction using People Dynamics Derived from Cellular Network Data”, EPJ Data Science, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 1-15, 2016.
- L.G. Swan and V.I. Ugursal, “Modeling of End-Use Energy Consumption in the Residential Sector: A Review of Modeling Techniques”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 13, No. 8, pp. 1819-1835, 2009.
- Indexmundi, “Electricity Consumption Per Capita-World”, Available at: https://www.indexmundi.com/map/?v=81000, Accessed on 2019.
- IEA, “IEA’s Electricity Information”, Available at: https://www.iea.org/statistics/electricity/#targetText=In 2017%2C world total final,increase of 4.6%25 from 2016, Accessed on 2019.
- Ghana Energy Commission, “National Energy Statistics Report 2017”, Available at: http://energycom.gov.gh/files/ENERGY_STATISTICS_2017.pdf, Accessed on 2017.
- K. Nishida, A. Takeda, S. Iwata, M. Kiho, I. Nakayama, “Household Energy Consumption Prediction by Feature Selection of Lifestyle Data”, Proceedings of International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, pp. 235-240, 2017.
- A. Veit, C. Goebel, R. Tidke, C. Doblander and H. Jacobsen, “Household Electricity Demand Forecasting-Benchmarking State-of-the-Art Methods”, Proceedings of International Conference on Future Energy Systems, pp. 1-10, 2014.
- P. Huber, M. Gerber, A. Rumsch and A. Paice, “Prediction of Domestic Appliances usage based on Electrical Consumption”, Energy Informatics, Vol. 1, pp. 265-428, 2018.
- W. Kong, Z.Y. Dong, Y. Jia, D.J. Hill, Y. Xu and Y. Zhang, “Short-Term Residential Load Forecasting Based on LSTM Recurrent Neural Network”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 841-851, 2019.
- A. Soares, A. Gomes and C.H. Antunes, “Categorization of Residential Electricity Consumption as a Basis for the Assessment of the Impacts of Demand Response Actions”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 30, pp. 490-503, 2014.
- L. Wilson, “Average Household Electricity Use around the World”, Available at: http://shrinkthatfootprint.com/average-household-electricity-consumption, Accessed on 2019.
- H. Ritchie, “Number of People in the World without Electricity Falls below One Billion”, Available at: https://ourworldindata.org/number-of-people-in-the-world-without-electricity-access-falls-below-one-billion#targetText=Number of people in the world without electricity falls below one billion&targetText=Global access to electricity has, risen to over 87 p, Accessed on 2019.
- The World Bank, “Access to Electricity (% of population)”, Available at: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EG.ELC.ACCS.ZS, Accessed on 2019.
- Electricchoice.com, “Residential Electricity for Houses, Apartments, Condos, Trailers, etc.,”, Available at: https://www.electricchoice.com/residential-electricity.
- K. Olaniyan, B.C. Mclellan, “Estimating Residential Electricity Consumption in Nigeria to Support Energy Transitions”, Sustainability, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 1-22, 2018.
- J.C. Cramer, N. Miller, C. Paul, M.B. Hackett, M.T. Dietz, L.E. Vine, D.D. Levine and J.D. Kowalczyk, “Social and Engineering Determinants and Their Equity Implications in Residential Use”, Energy, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 1283-1291, 1985.
- F. McLoughlin, A. Duffy and M. Conlon, “A Clustering Approach to Domestic Electricity Load Profile Characterisation using Smart Metering Data”, Applied Energy, Vol. 141, pp. 190-199, 2015.
- E. Leahy and S. Lyons, “Energy Use and Appliance Ownership in Ireland”, Energy Policy, Vol. 38, No. 8, pp. 4265-4279, 2010.
- D. Faggella, “What is Machine Learning?”, Available at: https://www.techemergence.com/what-is-machine-learning, Accessed on 2018.
- I.K. Nti and J.A. Quarcoo, “Self-motivation and Academic Performance in Computer Programming Language Using a Hybridised Machine Learning Technique”, International Journal of Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 12-30, 2019.
- A.D. Adebayo, A.F. Adekoya and T.M. Rahman, “Predicting Stock Trends Using Tsk-fuzzy Rule Based System”, Journal of Energy and Natural Resource Management, Vol. 4, No. 7, pp. 48-55, 2017.
- K.R. Akshatha and K.S. Shreedhara, “Implementation of Machine Learning Algorithms for Crop Recommendation Using Precision Agriculture”, International Journal of Research in Engineering, Science and Management, Vol. 1, No. 6, pp. 58-60, 2018.
- A. Crane-Droesch, “Machine Learning Methods for Crop Yield Prediction and Climate Change Impact Assessment in Agriculture”, Environmental Research Letters, Vol. 13, No. 11, pp. 1-23, 2018.
- A. Choudhury, “Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health: ICF-CY Self Care (SCADI Dataset) Using Predictive Analytics”, Proceedings of International Conference on Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers, pp. 1-8, 2019.
- A. Choudhury and B. Eksioglu, “Using Predictive Analytics for Cancer Identification”, Proceedings of International Conference on Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers, pp. 23-29, 2019.
- M. Zahid, F. Ahmed, N. Javaid, R. Abbasi, K.H. Zainab, A. Javaid, M. Bilal, M. Akbar and M. Ilahi, “Electricity Price and Load Forecasting using Enhanced Convolutional Neural Network and Enhanced Support Vector Regression in Smart Grids”, Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 1-18, 2019.
- IBM, “IBM Knowledge Center”, Available at: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SS3RA7_15.0.0/com.ibm.spss.crispdm.help/crisp_overview.htm, Accessed on 2018.
- S. Goswami, A.K. Das, A. Chakrabarti and B. Chakraborty, “A Feature Cluster Taxonomy based Feature Selection Technique”, Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 79, pp. 76-89, 2017.
- N. Challita, M. Khalil and P. Beauseroy, “New Feature Selection Method based on Neural Network and Machine Learning”, Proceedings of International Conference on Engineering Technology, pp. 81-85, 2016.
- Enerdata, “Electricity Domestic Consumption”, Available at: https://yearbook.enerdata.net/electricity/electricity-domestic-consumption-data.html, Accessed on 2019.
- F. Mcloughlin, A. Duffy and M. Conlon, “Characterising Domestic Electricity Consumption Patterns by Dwelling and Occupant Socio-Economic Variables: An Irish Case Study”, Energy and Buildings, Vol. 48, pp. 240-248, 2012.
Abstract Views: 1
PDF Views: 0