Open Access Subscription Access
Solmap: Project In India's Solar Resource Assessment
India launched Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission in 2009, which aims to set up 20 000 MW of grid connected solar power, besides 2 000 MW equivalent of off-grid applications and cumulative growth of solar thermal collector area to 20 million m2 by 2022. Availability of reliable and accurate solar radiation data is crucial to achieve the targets. As a result of this initiative, Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) of Government of India (GoI) has awarded a project to Centre for Wind Energy Technology (C-WET), Chennai in the year 2011 to set up 51 Solar Radiation Resource Assessment (SRRA) stations using the state-of-the-art equipment in various parts of the country, especially the sites with high potential for solar power. The GoI project has synergy with SolMap project, which is implemented by the Deutsche GesellschaftfurInternationaleZusammenarbeit (GIZ) in cooperation with the MNRE. SolMap project is contributing to SRRA project in establishing quality checks on the data obtained as per International protocols and helping data processing to generate investment grade data. The paper highlights the details of SRRA stations and an attempt has been made to present some of the important results of quality control and data analysis with respect to GHI and DNI. While our analysis of the data over one year finds that intensity and profile of the insolation are not uniform across the geographic regions, the variability in DNI is particularly high. Strong influence of monsoon is also identified. SRRA infrastructure aims to develop investment grade solar radiation resource information to assist project activities under the National Solar Mission of India.
Solar Radiation, DNI, GHI, Resource Assessment, India, Pyrheliometer.
- Bhattacharya, B.K.., Padmanabhan. N., Mahammed, S., Ramakrishnan, R., &. Parihar, J. S  Assessing solar energy potential using diurnal remote-sensing observations from Kalpana-1 VHRR and validation over the Indian landmass, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 34:20, 7069-7090
- Carsten, H., Dumortier D, Tsvetkov A, Polo , Torres, J L., Kurz C, and Ineichen P.  MESOR Existing Ground Data Sets.
- Chhatbar, K, Meyer R. 'The Influence of Meteorological Parameters on the Energy Yield of Solar Thermal Power Plants'. In SolarPACES Symposium. Granada, Spain.
- Cony, M, Polo, J, Martin, L, Navarro, A, and Serra, A. . 'Analysis of Solar Irradiation Anomalies in Long Term over India.' In Austria.
- Cony, M., J. Polo, L. Martin, A. Navarro, and I. Serra , Analysis of solar irradiation anomalies in long term over India., in EGU General Assembly, Vienna, Austria.
- EAI.  'JNNSM Phase 1 Batch II Winners - Analysis | India Solar, Wind, Biomass, Biofuels - EAI'. EAI. http://www.eai.in/blog/2011/12/jnnsm-phase-1-batch-ii-winners-analysis.html.
- GeoModel.  'GeoModel SOLAR'. Solar Radiation Type of Data Available. www.geomodelsolar.eu/index.php?d=data&f=solar-radiation.
- Gueymard, Christian, A, and George, R.  'Gridded Aerosol Data for Improved Direct NormalIrradiance Modeling: The Case of India.' In Raleigh, NC: American Solar Energy Society.
- ISO 9060 1990.  'Solar energy -- Specification and classification of instruments for measuring hemispherical solar and direct solar radiation'. Intenational Organization for Standardization.
- Kumar, A., Gomathinayagam, S., Giridhar, G., Mitra, I., Vashistha, R., Meyer, R., Schwandt, M., Chhatbar, K., . Field experiences with the operation of solar radiation resource assessment stations in India. SolarPACES, Las Vegas, U.S.A.
- Long, Chuck N., and Dutton, E.G.  BSRN Global Network Recommended QC Tests V2.0. Baseline Surface Radiation Network (BSRN).
- Long, Chuck N., and Shi., Y  'An Automated Quality Assessment and Control Algorithm for Surface Radiation Measurements'. The Open Atmospheric Science Journal 2: 23-27.
- Meteotest. Meteonorm. Meteotest.
- NASA-SSE, NASA-SSE.  'Surface Meteorology and Solar Energy'. http://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/sse/sse.
- Polo, J., Zarzalejo, L. F., Cony, M., Navarro, A. A., Marchante, R., Martin, L., and Romero, M. , Solar radiation estimations over India using Meteosat satellite images, Solar Energy, 85(9), 2395-2406
- Schwandt, M., Chhatbar, K., Meyer, R., Mitra, I., Vashistha, R., Giridhar, G., Gomathinayagam, S., Kumar. A., . Quality check procedures and statistics for the Indian SRRA solar radiation measurement network. ISES Solar World Congress, Cancun
- Schwandt, M., Chhatbar, K., Meyer, R., Fross, K., Mitra, I., Vashistha, R., Giridhar, G., Gomathinayagam, S., Kumar, A., . Development and test of gap filling procedures for solar radiation data of the Indian SRRA measurement network. ISES Solar World Congress, Cancun
- SEC & IMD. Solar Radiation Hand Book: Typical Climatic Data for Selected Radiation Stations. Solar Energy Center, MNRE & Indian Meteorological Department.
- Solar Thermal Magazine.[ 2012]'Lowest Cost Per Megawatt. Bidding to Build Solar Thermal Plants in India - Solar Thermal Magazine | Solar Thermal Magazine'. http://www.solarthermalmagazine.com/2010/11/22/lowest-cost-per-megawatt-bidding-to-biuld-solar-thermal-plants-in-india/.
- WMO.  'CIMO Guide to Meteorological Instruments and Methods of Observation',. Preliminary seventh edition, WMO-No. 8. Geneva, Switzerland: Secretariat of the World Meteorological Organization.
Abstract Views: 286
PDF Views: 77