Open Access Subscription Access
Management of Complicated Crown Root Fracture Using Orthodontic Extrusion Procedure
Complicated crown-root fracture caused by a traumatic injury poses a treatment dilemma for the dentist as these teeth most often require multidisciplinary treatment approach. Management of such injuries can be done by various procedures such as surgical crown lengthening, extraction and orthodontic extrusion. In this case report we have treated a crown-root fracture by endodontic treatment followed by orthodontic extrusion/forced eruption and prosthetic rehabilitation with a crown. The treatment modalities basically include exposing the cervical margin of the tooth followed by appropriate coronal restoration. They all have their own limitations but orthodontic extrusion gives better results as compared to the others.
Dental Trauma, Cervical Margin, Coronal Restoration, Forced Eruption.
- Heithersay GS. Combined endodontic treatment of transverse root fracture in the region of the alveolar crest. Oral Surg 1973;36:404-15.
- Ingber JS. Forced eruption: Part II. A method of treating non restorable teeth; periodontal and restorative considerations. J Periodontal 1976;47:203-15.
- Al-Gheshiyan NA. Forced eruption: restoring non-restorable teeth and preventing extraction site defects. Gen Dent 2004;52:327-33.
- James HS, Simon AB. Root extrusion-rationale and techniques. DCNA 1984;2:73-82.
- Bach N, Baylard JF, Voyer R. Orthodontic extrusion: periodontal considerations and applications. J Can Dent Assoc 2004;70:775-80.
- Emerich-Poplatek K, Sawicki L, Bodal M, Adamowicz-Klepalska B. Forced eruption after crown/root fracture with a simple and aesthetic method using the fractured crown. Dent Traumatol 2005;21:265-9.
- Calyskan MK, Pehlivan Y. Prognosis of root-fractured permanent incisors. Endod Dent Traumatol 1996;12:129-36.
- Mittal R, Gupta S, Singla A, Gupta A. Managing subg-ingival fracture by multi-disciplinary approach endodontic-forced orthodontic extrusion and prosthetic rehabilitation. Saudi Endodontic J 2013;3(2):82-6.
- Mostafa YA, Iskander KG, El-mangoury NH. Iatrogenic pulpal reactions to orthodontic extrusion. AJO-DO 1991;99:30-4.
- Andreasen FM, Andreasen JO, Cvek M. Root fractures: In: Andreasen FM, Andreasen JO, editors. Textbook and color atlas of traumatic injuries to teeth. Copenhagen: Blackwell Publishing Ltd; 2007. p. 337-71.
- Chaushu S, Shapira J, Heling I, Becker A. Emergency orthodontic treatment after the traumatic intrusive luxationof maxillary incisors. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthod 2004;126:162-72.
- Sabri R. L’allongement coronaire par egression orthodontique. Principe’set techniques. J Parodontol 1989;8:197-204.
Abstract Views: 50
PDF Views: 0