Open Access Subscription Access
"Say No to Surgery"-Nonsurgical Management of Periapical Lesions
Periapical lesions develop as sequelae to pulp disease. It is accepted that all periapical lesions should be initially treated with conservative nonsurgical procedures. It is a general belief that large periapical lesions will not heal by nonsurgical endodontic treatment and needs surgical intervention. Non-surgical or conservative management of large periapical lesions. Endodontic treatment with the placement of calcium hydroxide as intracanal medicament. Enhanced healing of the periapical lesions with successful resolution of signs and symptoms both clinically and radiographically. Non surgical endodontic treatment performed with adequate cleaning and shaping, irrigation, canal disinfection and judicious use of intracanal medicament can result in the regression of large periapical lesions.
Healing, Radiolucency, Calcium Hydroxide, Endodontic Treatment.
- Moller AJ, Fabricius L, Dahlen G, Ohman AE, Heyden G. Influence on periapical tissues of indigenous oral bacteria and necrotic pulp tissue in monkeys. Scand J Dent Res 1981;89:475-84.
- Friedman S. Prognosis of initial endodontic treatment. Endod Topics 2002;2:59-88.
- Barbakow FH, Cleaton-Jones PE, Friedman D. Endodontic treatment of teeth with periapical radiolucent areas in a general dental practice. Oral Surg 1981;51:552-9.
- Sjogren U, Hagglund B, Sundqvist G, Wing K. Factors affecting the long-term results of endodontic treatment. J Endod 1990;16:498-504.
- Salamat K, Rezai RF. Nonsurgical treatment of extraoral lesions caused by necrotic nonvital tooth. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1986;61:618-23.
- Lin LM, Huang GT, Rosenberg PA. Proliferation of epithelial cell rests, formation of apical cysts, and regression of apical cysts after periapical wound healing. J Endod 2007;33:908-16.
- Nicholls E. Endodontics. 3 rd ed. Bristol: John Wright Sons Ltd; 1984. p. 206.
- Neaverth EJ, Burg HA. Decompression of large periapical cystic lesions. J Endod 1982;8:175-82.
- Walker TL, Davis MS. Treatment of large periapical lesions using cannalization through involved teeth. J Endod 1984;10:215-20.
- Marina Fernandes, Ida de ataide.Non-surgical management of periapical lesions. J Conserve Dent 2010 Oct-Dec;13(4):240-5.
- Murphy WK, Kaugars GE, Collet WK, Dodds RN. Healing of periapical radiolucencies after nonsurgical endodontic therapy. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1991;71:620-24.
- Caliskan MK, Turkun M. Periapical repair and apical closure of a pulpless tooth using calcium hydroxide. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1997;84:683-6.
Abstract Views: 50
PDF Views: 0