Open Access Subscription Access
Esthetic Rehabilitation of Fluorosis Affected Teeth
This article describes an esthetic rehabilitation of a case of severe fluorosis. Dental fluorosis is caused by an excessive fluoride intake during tooth formation. Fluoride-related alterations in enamel lead to surface hyper mineralization and subsurface hypo mineralization which are characterized by white opaque appearance with secondary brown stain. Esthetic rehabilitation of fluorosis affected teeth. Direct composite technique was applied to improve the color, shape and alignment of the teeth using direct composite veneering. Esthetically pleasing result. Long-term clinical trials are needed to evaluate the appropriateness of the various management options for fluorosis of varying severity.
Bonding, Management, Veneer, Discoloration.
- Moller J. Fluorides and dental fluorosis. Int Dent J 1982;32:135-47.
- Akpata ES. Occurrence and management of dental fluorosis. Int Dent J 2001;51:325–33.
- Denbesten P, Li W. Chronic fluoride toxicity: dental fluorosis. Monogr Oral Sci 2011;22:81–96.
- Fahl Junior N. A direct/indirect composite resin veneers: a case report. Pract Periodontics Aesthete Dent 1996;8(7):627-38.
- Fahl N. A polychromatic composite layering approach for solving a complex class IV/direct veneer/diastema combination: part II. Pract Procedures and Aesthetic Dentistry 2007;19:17–22.
- Vaidyanathan J, Vaidyanathan TK, Wang Y and Viswanadhan T. Thermoanalytical characterization of visible light cure dental composites. J Oral Rehabil 1992;19(1):49–64.
- Villela LC, CarvalhoJRF and Araujo MAJ. A modified veneering technique using composite resin. Revista Da APCD 1994;48:1535–7.
- McCabe JF and Kagi S. Mechanical properties of a composite inlay material following post-curing. Br Dent J 1991;171(8):246–8.
- Torres-Gallegos I, Zavala-Alonso V, Patino-Marin N, Martinez-Castanon GA, Anusavice K, Loyola-Rodriguez JP. Enamel roughness and depth profile after phosphoric acid etching of healthy and fluorotic enamel. Aust Dent J 2012;57:151–6.
- Berksun S, Kedici PS and Saglam S. Repair of fractured porcelain restorations with composite bonded porcelain laminate contours. J Prosthet Dent 1993;69(5):457-8.
- Jordan R E. Esthetic Composite Bonding Techniques and Materials. 2nd ed. USA: Mosby-Year book, St. Louis, Mo; 1993.
Abstract Views: 50
PDF Views: 0