Open Access Subscription Access
Age Determination from Radiological Study of Epiphysial Appearance and Union of Distal End of Tibia
Introduction: The bones of human skeletons develop from separate ossification centers. From these centers ossification progresses till the bone is completely formed. These changes can be studied by means of X-rays and these changes are age related. It is therefore possible to determine the approximate age of an individual by radiological examination of bones till ossification is complete. Methods: This roentgenographic study was carried out with the objective to assess the general skeletal maturity of distal end of Tibia, of subjects in Mumbai region. 208 males and 68 females between age group of 3-25 years attending the outpatient department of this hospital are selected. Age confirmed from history and noting the birth dates. The cases selected after ruling out the nutritional, developmental, and endocrinal abnormality which affects the skeletal growth. Data analysis was done in P4 computer using HPSS software. Result: In Present study Distal end of Tibia, the complete union of epiphysis is seen by 16-18 years in males(16%) and 14 -16 years in females(18.4%). Conclusion: At the end conclusions were drawn which are compared with available results of various previous studies.
X-Ray, Ossification Centre, Epiphysial Cartilage.
- RN Karmakar, JBMukharjees. Essential of forensic medicine and toxicology. 3rded. Bardwan, Kolkata: Academic publisher; 2007.p.126, 146-7, 154- 5.
- Sangma William BC. A roentgen graphic study for age determination in boys of north-eastern region of India. JIAFM 2006 April-june;28(2):55-57.
- WM Krogman, MY Iscan. The human skeleton in forensic medicine, charles c. 2nd ed. Illinois, USA: Thomas Publisher; 1986. p. 118-64.
- G Galstaun. A study of ossification as observed in indian subject. Indian J of Medical Research1937;25(1):267-324.
- HF lecker. Roentgen graphic observations of the times of appearance of epiphyses and their fusion with the diaphysis. J Anat 1933;67:118–64.
- Hepworth SM. Determination of age in indians from study of ossification of long bones. Ind Med 1929;64:128.
- SK Basu and S Basu. A contribution to the study of diaphysiopiphysialrelation at el bow of young bangle girls. Indian J of Paediatric 1938;5:202-4.
- Homi S Mehta. Medical law and ethics in India,1sted. Bombay-1: The Bombay Samachar Private Ltd;March 1963. p. 336-9.
- Parikh. Parikh’s textbook of medical jurisprudence and toxicology, personal identity, cbs. (edi.) 5thed. New Delhi: CBS Publisher; 1990. p. 39–50.
- RVij. Text book of forensic medicine and toxicology, pri=nciple and practice, identification. 5th ed. New Delhi: Elsevier Publication; 2011.p.41-3.
Abstract Views: 56
PDF Views: 0