Open Access Subscription Access
Spectrum of Ovarian Cystic Lesions-A Histopathological Study
Objective: The aim of this retrospective study is to determine the frequency of ovarian cystic lesions involving both neoplastic and non-neoplastic entities, its distribution and histopathological spectrum including both benign and malignant lesions. Method: This study involved analyzing 67 cases of cystic ovarian lesions/tumors reported in Histopathology section of Tezpur Medical College and hospital in a 24 month period. They were classified according to WHO classification of ovarian tumors (2003). Clinical details of patients were perused according to archived records. Result: Cystic lesions were grouped according to their nature whether neoplastic or non-neoplastic and whether benign, borderline or malignant. The neoplastic cystic lesions comprise the majority of lesions comprising 64.17% while non-neoplastic lesions comprise 35.82%. Among neoplastic lesions cyst adenomas comprise majority (46.5%) of benign lesions and malignant lesions comprise 6.9% of lesions. Among non-neoplastic lesions simple/follicular cysts comprise 54.16% of lesions. Conclusion: Benign cystic neoplastic lesions out number the non-neoplastic lesions and benign tumors are more common than malignant ones. Ovarian lesions are not easily detected by physical or laboratory investigations hence one has to depend in addition to microscopic appearance of the tumor other clinical parameters such as age of the patient, presenting complains, location of lump and dimension of lump.
Serous Cyst Adenoma, Papillary Serous Cyst Adenocarcinoma, Undifferentiated Carcinoma.
- Ahmad Z, Kayani N, Hasan SH, Muzaffar S, Gill MS. Histological pattern of ovarian neoplasms. J Pak Med Assoc 2000;50(12):416-9.
- Kumar P, Malhotra N. J effcoates principle of gynecology. 7thed. New Delhi: Jaypee brothers medical publishers (P)Ltd; 2008.p. 125-6.
- Murad A. Ovulation induction and ovarian tumors: the debate continues. J Pak Med Assoc 1998;48:353-6.
- Basu P, De P, Mandal S. Study of patterns of care of ovarian cancer patients ina specialised cancer institute in Kolkata, eastern India. Indian J of Cancer 2009;46(1):28-33.
- Rosai J. Gross techniques in surgical pathology. In: Ackermans surgical pathology. 9th ed. Singapore: Year Book Inc; 2004. p. 230-1.
- Barber HRK, Graber EA. The pmpo syndrome. Obstet Gynecol 1971;38:921-3.
- Tahir Z, Yousuf NW, Ashraf M, Yusuf W. Fine needle aspiration of unilocular ovarian cyst, a cytohistological corelation. J Pak Med Assoc May 2004;54(5):266-9.
- Rosai J. Rosai and ackermans surgical pathology. 9thed. St. Louis: CV Mosby Co; 2004. Vol 2;1649-1736.
- Gurung P, Hirachand S, Pradhanang S. Histopathological study of ovarian cystic lesions in tertiary care care hospital of Kathmandu, Nepal. J Of Institute Of Medicine 2013 December; 35(3):44-7.
- Pudusaini S, Lakhey M, Hirachand S, Akhter J, Thapa B. A study of ovarian cyst in tertiary hospital of Kathmandu valley. Nepal Med Coll J 2011 Mar;13(1):39-41.
- Kreuzer GF, Pandowski T, Wurche KD, Flenker H. Neoplastic or non-neoplastic ovarian cyst? The role of cytology. Acta Cytol 1995;39:882-6.
- Martinez - OP, Vilaespesa A, Anquela JMS. Aspiration cytology of 147 adnexal cysts with histological corelation. Acta Cytol 2001;45:941-7.
- Zaman S, Majid S, Hussain M, Chughtai O, Mahboob J, Chightai S. A retrospective study of ovarian tumors and tumor like lesions. J Ayub Med Coll Abbotabad 2010;22(1):104-8.
- Kanthikar SN, Dravid NV, Deore PN, Nikumbh DB, Suryawanshi KH. Clinicopathological study of neoplastic and non-neoplasticlesions of the ovary: a 3 year prospective study in Dhule, Northern Maharastra, India. J Clin Diagn Res 2014;8(8):FCO4-7.
- Fatima Z. Pattern of ovarian masses. Ann King Edward Med U 2006 dec;12(4):480-2.
- Tanwani AK. Prevalence and pattern of ovarian lesions. Ann Pak Inst Med Sci 2005 dec;1(4):211-14.
- Saeed A, Bhatti N. Pattern of nonneoplastic lesions of ovary: a study of 150 cases. Ann Pak Med Instt Med Sci 2010;6(3):156-9.
- Couto F, Nadkarni NS, Jose M. Ovarian tumors in goa: aclinic pathological study. J Obstet Gynecol India 1993;40(2):408-11.
- Pilli G, Sunita KP, Dhaded AV, Yenni VV. Ovarian tumors: a study of 282 cases. JIMA 2002;100:423-4.
- Gupta N, Bisht D, Agarwal AK, Sharma VK. Retrospective and prospective study of ovarian tumors and tumor like lesions. Indian J Of Pathol Microbiol 2007;50(3):525-7.
- Bhuvanesh U, Logambal. A study of ovarian tumors. J Obstet Gynecol India 1978;28:271-7.
- Bhattacharya MM, Shinde SD, Purandre VN. Aclinic pathological analysis of 270 ovarian tumors. J Postgrad Med 1980;26(2):103-7.
- Jha R, Karki S. Histological pattern of ovarian tumors and their age distribution. Nepal Med Coll J 2008;10(2)81-5.
- Abdullah LS, Boudagji NS. Histopathologic pattern of ovarian neoplasms and their age distribution in the western region of saudiarabia. Saudi Med J 2012;33(1):61-5.
- Khan AA, Luqman M, Jamal S, Mamoon N, Mushtaq S. Clinico pathological analysis of ovarian tumors. Pak J Of Pathol 2005;16:28-32.
- Merino MJ, Jaffe G. Age contrast in ovarian pathology. Cancer 1993;71(suppl2):537-44.
- Ukah CO, Ikpeze OC, Eleje GU, Eke AC. Adult granulose cell tumor associated with endometrial carcinoma: a case report. J Med Case Reports 2011;5:340.
Abstract Views: 58
PDF Views: 0