Open Access Subscription Access
Legal and Ethical Issues of Research and Publication
Introduction: Legal and ethical issues of research and publication form an important component of scientific writings, mainly related to the research participant, researcher and publication. Methods: Collecting anecdotes published in different newspapers and journal, this article seeks to briefly review the various international and national guidelines and regulations that exist on issues related to biomedical research and publication. Discussion: The issues of dignity, bodily integrity, autonomy and privacy, providing incentives of research participants and various forms of research misconduct and unethical practice in part of research activities are the burring issues discussed in present day scenario. Relevant international and national declaration and treaties form the literature that are relevant to the ethical and legal aspects of conducting research and publication that researchers should abide by when conducting biomedical research. Researchers should note the major international guidelines as well as the national regulations and legislation. Conclusion: Hence all proposals on biomedical research involving human participants should be cleared by an appropriately constituted local Institutional Ethics Committee (IEC).
Biomedical Research, Ethics, Informed Consent, Plagiarism, Scientific Misconduct.
- Coleman CH, Menikoff JA, Goldner JA. The ethics and regulation of research with human subjects. Newark: Matthew Bender Co; 2005. p. 3–50.
- Camille Yip, Nian-Lin Reenahan, Ban leongSng. Legal and ethical issues in research. Indian J Anaesth 2016 Sep;60(9):684–8.
- Mahanta Putul. Ethical and legal issues in research and publication. In: Mahanta Putul, editor. Medical Writing: A guide for medicos, educators, and researchers. 1sted. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publications (P) ltd; 2018. p. 89-109.
- World Medical Association. Declaration of Helsinki: ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects.World Medical Association. JAMA 2013 Nov 27;310(20):2191-4.
- Scott-Lichter D. CSE’s white paper on promoting integrity in scientific journal publications. 3rd ed. Wheat Ridge, CO; 2012. [cited2016 Aug 08]; the Editorial Policy Committee, Council of Science Editors. Available from: URL:http://www.councilscienceeditors.org/wp.content/uploads/entire_whitepaper.pdf
- Managing Allegations of Scientific Misconduct: A Guidance Document for Editors, January 2000, Office of Research Integrity, Office of Public Health and Science, U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services. [cited 2017 Oct 28]; Available from: URL:http://ori.dhhs.gov
- Scott-Lichter D. CSE’s White Paper on Promoting Integrity in Scientific Journal Publications, 2012 Update. 3rd Revised Edition. Wheat Ridge, CO; 2012. [cited 2017 Oct 28]; The Editorial Policy Committee, Council of Science Editors. Available from: URL:http://www.councilscienceeditors.org/wp.content/uploads/entire_whitepaper.pdf
- Ethical decision making in obstetrics and gynecology. ACOG Committee Opinion No. 390. American college of obstetricians and gynecologists. Obstet Gynecol 2007;110: 1479–87.
- International Ethical Guidelines for Biomedical Research Involving Human Subjects. [monograph on the Internet] Geneva: 2002. [cited on 2017 Aug 10]. Council for International Organizations of Medical Sciences (CIOMS) in Collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). [cited 2017 Oct 28]; Available from: URL:http://www.cioms.ch/publications/layout_guide2002.pdf
- Van Belle G, Mentzelopoulos SD, Aufderheide T, May S, Nichol G. International variation in policies and practices related to informed consent in acute cardiovascular research: Results from a 44 country survey. Resuscitation 2015;91:76–83.
- Data Protection Act. United Kingdom [monograph on the Internet] Norwich, UK: 1998. [updated on 1998 Jul 16]; [cited 2017 October 20]; Her Majesty’s Stationery Office and Queen’s Printer of Acts of Parliament. Available from: URL:http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/29/introduction
- Medical council of India. Code of Ethics Regulations, 2002, 7:22. [cited2017 October 17]; Available from: URL:https://old.mciindia.org/RulesandRegulations/Code of Medical Ethics Regulations 2002.aspx
- Njue M, Molyneux S, Kombe F, Mwalukore S, Kamuya D, Marsh V. Benefits in cash or in kind? A community consultation on types of benefits in health research on the kenyan coast. PLoS One 2015;10:e0127842.
- ICMR. Ethical guidelines for biomedical research on human participants. 2006. [cited 2011 Dec 12]; Available from: URL:http://www.icmr.nic.in/ethical guidelines.pdf
- Mutch WA. Academic fraud: perspectives from a life long anesthesia researcher. Can J Anaesth 2011;58:782.
- International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use. Geneva: 1996. [Cited October 2017]; ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guideline, Guideline for Good Clinical Practice E6 (R1), Current Step 4 Version. [Cited 2017 Oct 28]; Available from:URL:http://www.ich.org/products/guidelines/efficacy/efficacy-single/article/goodclinical-practice.html
- George SL. Research misconduct and data fraud in clinical trials: Prevalence and causal factors. Int J Clin Oncol 2016;21:15–21.
- Recommendations on publication ethics policies for medical journals: World Association of Medical Editors. Winnetka, IL, USA: 2016. [Cited 2017 October 17]; WAME Publication Ethics Committee. Available from:URL:http://www.wame.org/about/recommendations-on-publication-ethics-policie#Plagiarism
- Crossref.org [homepage on Internet] Oxford Centre for Innovation, UK: 2016. [updated on 2016 Apr 26; [cited 2017 Aug 06]; Available from: URL:http://www.crossref.org/crosscheck/index.html
- Shafer SL. Plagiarism is ubiquitous. Anesth Analg 2016;122:1776–80.
- Abraham P. Duplicate and salami publications. J Postgrad Med 2000;46:67-9.
- SupakSmolcic V. Salami publication: definitions and examples. Biochem Med (Zagreb) 2013;23:237–41.
- hhs.gov. Rockville: U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Online Resource; [cited 2017 october 10]. Available from: URL:http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/regulations-and-policy/belmont-report/index.html
- Journal of Caring Sciences. Instruction to author. [cited 2017 June 2]; Available from: URL:http://journals.tbzmed.ac.ir/JCS/ForAuthors
Abstract Views: 59
PDF Views: 0