Open Access Subscription Access
Evaluation of Optimum NPRACH Performance in NB-IoT Systems
Narrowband-internet of Things (NB-IoT) is a low power wide area network that contributes strongly to the revolution and expansion of the internet of things (IoT). Here, we aim at improving the performance and reliability of NB-IOT. Given than random access is one of the most influential characteristics of NB-IoT system performance, a detailed study of the NB-IOT random access was conducted, taking into account random access channel (NPRACH) periodicity, number of collisions, number of users, random access preamble repetitions and time taken for all system users to finalize a random access procedure. Simulation results have shown that appropriately choosing NPRACH periodicity values can efficiently achieve uplink channel optimization between its two signals NPRACH and NPUSCH with an acceptable number of collisions and a high number of delivered packets. Short periodicities (40ms and 80ms) show optimal results in reducing the number of collisions for both low and high traffic while all users win NPRACH and start to send data to the base station after approximately 2 second. However, short periodicities waste more uplink resources in random access, minimizing resources remaining for data transmission. Medium-length periodicities (such as 160ms and 320ms) show a promising performance that balances the two uplink physical channels. Our results demonstrate that doubling the number of users (from 40 to 80) is not a considerable factor in choosing NPRACH periodicity with different repetition values. We further showed how to maximize the system performance by selecting certain NPRACH periodicity value for every preamble repetition scheme.
NB-IoT, LPWA, IoT, NPRACH, Random Access Periodicity.
- M. Chen, Y. Miao, Y. Hao and K. Hwang, "Narrow Band Internet of Things," in IEEE Access, vol. 5, 2017, pp. 20557-20577.
- H. Kim, S. Cho, J. Oh and G. Jo, "Uplink Scheduling Technique for the LTE System to Improve the Performance of the NB-IoT System," 2018 Tenth International Conference on Ubiquitous and Future Networks (ICUFN), Prague, 2018, pp. 613-615.
- X. Chen, Z. Li, Y. Chen and X. Wang, "Performance Analysis and Uplink Scheduling for QoS-Aware NB-IoT Networks in Mobile Computing," in IEEE Access, vol. 7, 2019, pp. 44404-44415.
- K. K. Nair, A. M. Abu-Mahfouz and S. Lefophane, "Analysis of the Narrow Band Internet of Things (NB-IoT) Technology," 2019 Conference on Information Communications Technology and Society (ICTAS), Durban, South Africa, 2019, pp. 1-6.
- B. Martinez, F. Adelantado, A. Bartoli and X. Vilajosana, "Exploring the Performance Boundaries of NB-IoT," in IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 6, no. 3, June 2019, pp. 5702-5712.
- L Feltrin, A Marri, M Paffetti, R Verdone - tugraz.at, " Preliminary evaluation of NB-IoT technology and its capacity," in Dependable Wireless Communications and Localization for the IoT, Austria 2017.
- S. Martiradonna, A. Grassi, G. Piro, L. A. Grieco and G. Boggia, "An Open Source Platform for Exploring NB-IoT System Performance," European Wireless 2018; 24th European Wireless Conference, Catania, Italy, 2018, pp. 1-6.
- N. Jiang, Y. Deng, M. Condoluci, W. Guo, A. Nallanathan and M. Dohler, "RACH Preamble Repetition in NB-IoT Network," in IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 22, no. 6, June 2018 , pp. 1244-1247.
- L. Feltrin, G. Tsoukaneri, M. Condoluci, C. Buratti, T. Mahmoodi,M. Dohler, and R. Verdone,, “Narrowband-iot: A survey on downlink and uplink perspectives,” in IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 26, no. 1, February 2019, pp. 78-86.
- L. Feltrin, M. Condoluci, T. Mahmoodi, M. Dohler and R. Verdone, "NB-IoT: Performance Estimation and Optimal Configuration," European Wireless 2018; 24th European Wireless Conference, Catania, Italy, 2018, pp. 1-6.
- Nair, Varun, Remco Litjens, and Haibin Zhang. "Optimisation of NB-IoT deployment for smart energy distribution networks." EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, 2019 (1): 186.
Abstract Views: 47
PDF Views: 1