Open Access Subscription Access
Centroid Based Localization Utilizing Artificial Bee Colony Algorithm
Estimation of position of unknown nodes is of immense importance for proper deployment and tracking of sensors. The centroid based localization algorithm (CLA) is widely used for the localization of the sensors but its original and modified versions suffer from large positioning error. Here the localization algorithm is evaluated in terms of localization error utilizing artificial bee colony based (ABC) algorithm. Comparison of outcome is presented through other widely used techniques including swarm based particle swarm optimization (PSO) and evolutionary algorithms based differential evolution (DE) on basic centroid localization algorithm. The results obtained through simulation demonstrate that localization error is minimal in ABC and DE based CLA as compared to basic and PSO based schemes but the computation time is the largest in DE based localization algorithm as compared to others. In comparison to the basic CLA the average localization error is reduced by 95% and computation time is increased by seven fold in ABC based CLA. It may be established that having considered localization error of prime importance, ABC algorithm based CLA is the most suitable strategy for localization amongst all the three algorithms.
Wireless Sensor Networks, Localization, Artificial Bee Colony, Particle Swarm Optimization, Differential Evolution, Localization Error etc.
- I.F. Akyildiz, W. Su, Y. Sankarasubramaninam, and E. Cayirci, “A survey on sensor networks”, In IEEE Communication Magazine, vol 40, no. 8, pp. 102-114, 2002.
- P. J. Voltz, and D. Hernandez, “Maximum Likelihood Time of Arrival Estimation for Real-Time Physical Location Tracking of 802.1 1 a/g Mobile Stations in Indoor Environments Ad-hoc Positioning System”, In IEEE Conference, Position Location and Navigation Symposium, 2004.
- L. Kovavisarruch, and K. C. Ho, “Alternate Source and Receiver Location Estimation Using TDoA with Receiver Position Uncertainties”, In IEEE International Conference on Acoustic, Speech and Signal Processing, 2005.
- D. Niculescu, and B. Nath, “Ad hoc positioning system (APS) using AoA”, In IEEE Conference, INFOCOM, 2003.
- P. Kumar, L. Reddy, and S. Varma, “Distance Measurement and Error Estimation Scheme for RSSI Based Localization in Wireless Sensor Networks”, In IEEE Conference, Wireless Communication and Sensor Networks, 2009.
- N. Bulusu, J. Heidemann, and D. Estrin, “GPS-less Low Cost Outdoor Localization for Very Small Devices”, In IEEE Personal Communications Magazine, Volume 7, Issue 5, pp. 28 – 34, 2000.
- D. Niculescu, and B. Nath, “DV based positioning in ad hoc networks”, In Telecommunications Systems, vol. 22, pp. 267-280, 2003.
- T. He, C. Huang, B. Blum, J. Stankovic, and T. Abdelzaher, “Range-Free Localization Schemes for Large Scale Sensor Networks”, In MobiCom ’03, ACM Press, pp. 81-95, 2003.
- L. Doherty, K. S. Pister, and L. E. Ghaoui, “Convex Position Estimation in Wireless Sensor Networks”, In IEEE Conference ICC ’01, Vol. 3, Anchorage, AK, pp. 1655–63, 2001.
- Y. Shang, W. Ruml, Y. Zhang, and M. Fromherz, “Localization from Connectivity in Sensor Networks”, In IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 15, No. 10, 2004.
- H. S. Chagas, J. Martins, and L. Oliviera, “Genetic Algorithms and Simulated Annealing Optimization Methods in Wireless Sensor Networks Localization using ANN”, In IEEE International Midwest Symposium on Circuit and Systems, 2012.
- M. S. Rahman, Y. Park, and K. Kim,, “Localization of Wireless Sensor Networks using ANN”, In IEEE International Symposium on Communication and Information Technology, pp. 639-642, 2009.
- Khan, Zaki Ahmad, and Abdus Samad. "A study of machine learning in wireless sensor network." Int. J. Comput. Netw. Appl 4 (2017): 105-112.
- W. Katekaew, C. So-In, K. Rujirakul, and B. Waikham, “H-FCD: Hybrid Fuzzy Centroid & DV- Hop Localization Algorithm in Wireless Sensor Networks”, In IEEE International Conference on Intelligent System, Modelling and Simulation, 2014.
- A. Gopakumar, L. Jacob, “Localization in wireless sensor networks using PSO”, In IET International Conference on Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks, pp. 227-230, Beijing, China, 2008.
- Z. Sun, L. X. Wang, and V. Zhou, “Localization algorithm in wireless sensor networks based on multi-objective particle swarm optimization”, In International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, vol. 11, pp. 1-9, 2015.
- S. Shunyuan, Y. Quan, and X. Baoguo, “A node positioning algorithm in wireless sensor networks based on improved particle swarm optimization”, In International Journal of Future Generation Communication and Networking, Vol. 9, pp. 179-190, 2016.
- R. Kulkarni, G. Venayagamoorthy, “Particle swarm optimization in wireless sensor networks: a brief survey”, In IEEE Transaction on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Vol. 41, pp. 262-267, 2011.
- A. Elsayed and M. Sharaf, “MA-LEACH: Energy Efficient Routing Protocol for WSNs using Particle Swarm Optimization and Mobile Aggregator”, International Journal of Computer Networks and Applications (IJCNA), vol.5, issue 1, 2018.
- R. Harikrishnan, V. J. S. Kumar, and P. S. Ponmalar, “Differential evolution approach for localization in wireless sensor network”, In IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Computing Research, Vol. 3, Coimbatore, India, pp. 1655–1663, 2014.
- R. Harikrishnan, “An Integrated Xbee Audrino and Differential Evolution Approach for Localization in Wireless Sensor Networks”, In International Conference on Intelligent Computing, Communication & Convergence, Procedia Computer Science, Vol. 48, 447 – 453, Bhubaneswar, India, 2015.
- C. Hay-qing,, W. Hua, and W. Hua-kui, “An improved centroid localization algorithm based on weighted average in WSN”, In Third IEEE International Conference on Electronics Computer Technology, pp. 258-26, 2011.
- J. Blumenthal, F. Grossmann, Golatowski, and D. Timmermann, “Weighted centroid localization in zigbee-based sensor networks”, In IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Signal Processing, pp. 1- 6, 3-5, 2007.
- Q. Dong, and X. Xu, “A novel weighted centroid localization algorithm based on RSSI for an outdoor environment, In Journal of Communication, Vol. 9, pp. 279-285, 2014.
- D. Karaboga, B. Gorkemli, C. Ozturk, and N. Karaboga, “A comprehensive survey: artificial bee colony (ABC) algorithm and applications”, In Artif Intell Rev., Springer Science Business Media B.V., 2012.
- C. Ozturk, D. Karaboga, and B. Gorkemli, “Artificial bee colony algorithm for dynamic deployment of wireless sensor networks”, In Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences, Vol.20, Issue 2, 2012.
- J. C. Bansal, H. Sharma, and S. S. Jadon, “Artificial bee colony algorithm: a survey”, In International Journal of Advanced Intelligence Paradigms, Vol.5, Issue 2, 2013.
- J. Kennedy, and R. Eberhart, “Particle Swarm Optimization”, In IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks. Perth, pp. 1942-1948, 1995.
- L.Cui, C. Xu., G. Li, Z. Ming, Y. Fang and N. Lu, “A high accurate localization algorithm with DV Hop and differential evolution for wireless sensor networks ”, In Applied Soft Computing, vol. 68, pp. 39-52, 2018.
- Q. Wan, M. Weng, and S. Liu, “Optimization of wireless sensor networks based on differential evolution algorithm”, In International Journal of Online and Biomedical Engineering, vol.15, issue 1, 2018.
Abstract Views: 15
PDF Views: 0