Open Access Subscription Access
Effect of Growth Regulators on Rooting of Cuttings in Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) Cv. 'Bhagwa'
An experiment was conducted at Regional Horticultural Research and Extension Center (RHREC), UHS, GKVK, Bengaluru, in the summer of 2014. Ten treatments of growth regulator formulations were imposed, including the Control, under Completely Randomized Design (CRD). Semi-hardwood cuttings of pomegranate were prepared from healthy twigs 20 to 30cm long, bearing 4 to 5 nodes and a thickness of 0.75 to 1.0cm. The cuttings were treated with a combination of different concentrations (500, 1000 or 1500 ppm) of indole butyric acid (IBA), and 500, 1000 or 1500 ppm of naphthalene acetic acid (NAA) for 8 hours. Results showed that highest sprouting percentage (68.00%), highest rooting percentage (60.40%), maximum number of sprouts (2.09), greatest diameter of sprout (0.59cm), longest roots (18.9cm) and widest diameter of root (1.62mm) were recorded in cuttings treated with IBA 1500ppm + NAA 1500ppm, whereas, longest sprout (34.50cm), highest number of primary roots (10.30) and secondary roots (62.70), highest fresh weight of sprout (9.03g), highest dry weight of shoot (4.66g), highest fresh weight of root (2.70g) and the highest dry weight of root (1.63g) per cutting was recorded with IBA 1500ppm + NAA 1000ppm.
IBA, NAA, Pomegranate, Semi-Hardwood Cuttings.
- Barde, P., Tiwari, R., Kanpure, R.N., Baghel, B.S. and Kumawat, B.R. 2010. Effect of biofertilizers and growth regulators on rooting and growth of pomegranate cuttings. Anna. Soil Res., 12(1):46-47
- Bhatt, B.B. and Tomar, Y.K. 2010. Effects of IBA on rooting performance of Citrus auriantifolia Swingle (Kagzi-lime) in different growing conditions. Nature and Science, 8(7):8-11
- Damar, D., Barholia, A.K., Lekhi, R. and Haldar, A. 2014. Effect of growth regulators and biofertilizers on survival of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) stem cuttings. Plant Archives, 14(1):347-350
- Jain, P.K. and Parmar, K.L. 1993. Response in hardwood cuttings of pomegranate treated with rooting media, IBA and Boron. JNKVV Res. J., 27(1):56-58
- Jayalakshmi, K. 2010. Studies on anthracnose of pomegranate caused by Colletotrichum gloeosporioides, M.Sc. (Agri.) Thesis, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, Karnataka, India
- Melgarejo, P., Martinez, J., Martinez, J.J., Martinez, V.R. and Amoros, A. 2000. Study of the rooting capacity of eleven pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) clones, using plastic to cover the soil options mediterraneenes. Serie A, seminaires mediterraneens, 42:169-173
- Sharma, N., Anand, R. and Kumar, D. 2009. Standardization of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) propagation through cuttings. Biological Forum – An International J. 1(1):75-80
- Singh, R.S. 1994. Effect of growth substances on rooting of pomegranate cutting. Curr. Agri., 18:87-89
- Singh, B., Singh, S. and Singh, G. 2011. Influence of planting time and IBA on rooting and growth of pomegranate (Punica Granatum L.) ‘Ganesh’ cutting. Acta Hortic., 890, 183-188, DOI: 10.17660/Acta Hortic.2011.890.24, International Symposium on Pomegranate and Minor - including Mediterranean - Fruits
- Srivastava, K.K., Hamid, S., Das, B. and Bhatt, K.M. 2008. Effect of indole butyric acid and variety on rooting of leafless cutting of kiwifruit under zero-energy-humidity-chamber. ENVIS Bull., 14(1):1-4
Abstract Views: 156
PDF Views: 22