Open Access Subscription Access
Growth and Yield Performance of Hybrid Hot Pepper, Chilli (Capsicum annuum L.) as Influenced by Fertigation and Polyethylene Mulching
A field experiment was conducted at Bengaluru during 2015 to study the effect of fertigation on performance of hybrid chilli (Capsicum annuum L.). The trial included nine treatments comprising varying rates and sources of fertilizers, tested with or without mulching. Application of recommended dose of fertilizer (180:120:180 kg NPK/ha) through fertigation using water-soluble fertilizers resulted in higher values for plant height (104.27 cm), number of branches per plant (16.71), leaf area per plant (89.44 dm2), dry matter per plant (185.49 g), number of fruits per plant (142.7), fruit length (11.13 cm), fruit girth (4.75 cm), fruit weight (1.29 g), yield per plant (184.11 g) and fruit yield (5.03 t/ha) which remained on par with same amount of fertilizer applied using conventional means along with polyethylene mulching. In general, treatments that received fertilizers through fertigation took less number of days to flowering over conventional soil-application of fertilizers. All fertigation treatments recorded higher dry-chilli fruit yield over the conventional soil-application of fertilizers, to a tune of 27.87% to 52.4% over the control.
Chilli, Fertigation, Water-Soluble Fertilizers, Mulching, Growth, Yield.
- Gomez, K.A. and Gomez, A.A. 1983. Statistical Procedure for Agricultural Research.
- nd edn. Wiley-International Science Publication, New York, USA
- Leela Rani, P., Balaswamy, Ramachandra Rao, K.A. and Masthan, S.C. 2015. Evaluation of integrated nutrient management practices on growth, yield and economics of green chilli cv.
- Pusa Jwala (Capsicum annuum L.). Int’l. J. Bio-source Stress Mgt., 6:076-080
- Mohanaramya, M., Rajamani, K., Sooriyanatha sundaram, K. and Rangasami, M.V. 2010. Effect of drip fertigation on yield, tuber characters and quality characters of glory lily. South Indian. Hort., 58:97-101
- Muralikrishnasamy, S., Veerabadran,V., Krishnasamy, Kumar, V. and Sakthivel, S. 2008. Drip irrigation and fertigation in chillies.7th International Microirrigation Congress, organized by International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage, 13-15 September, 2006, Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia, pp. 1-7
- Neeraja,G., Reddy, K.M, Reddy, I.P. and Reddy, Y.N. 1999. Effect of irrigation and nitrogen on growth, yield and yield attributes of rabi onion (Allium cepa) in Andhra Pradesh. Veg. Sci., 26: 64-68
- National Horticulture Board. 2015. Indian Horticulture Database. Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India, New Delhi
- Prabhakar, M., Hebbar, S.S. and Nair, A.K. 2010a. Production technology of vegetable crops - A handbook. Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Hessaraghatta, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India, pp. 87-92
- Prabhakar, B.N., Ramachandrappa, B.K., Nanjappa, H.V. and Soumya, T.M. 2010b. Effect of frequency and methods of fertigation on growth, yield, quality and economics of green chilli (Capsicum annuum L.). Mysore J. Agril. Sci., 44:523-528
- Ramachandrappa, B.K., Nanjappa, H.V., Prabhakar, B.N. and Soumya,T.M. 2010. Effect of sources and level of fertilizer for drip fertigation on crop productivity, rooting and fertilizer use efficiency in green chilli (Capsicum annuum L.). Mysore J. Agril. Sci., 44:345-349
- Sanchita, B., Luchon, S., Pankaj, B., Tridip and Bhaskarjyothi. 2010. Studies on effect of fertigation with different levels of N and K fertilizers on growth, yield and economics of early season capsicum under cover. Veg Sci., 37:160-163
Abstract Views: 79
PDF Views: 4