Open Access Subscription Access
Standardization of an in Vitro Regeneration Protocol in Gerbera (Gerbera jamesonii Bolus Ex. Hooker F.)
An experiment was undertaken to develop an improved in vitro regeneration protocol in gerbera. Murashige and Skoog (MS) medium was supplemented with various growth regulators at different concentrations for callus induction and organogenesis. Newly emerging leaves of Gerbera cv. Rosalin were used as explants. Experimental results showed that maximum rate (74.07%) of formation of callus with good growth was recorded on MS medium supplemented with 2.0mgL-1 2,4-D + BAP 0.5mgL-1. Best shoot regeneration (57.8 %) with maximum shoot number (12.0) was achieved on with BAP 2.0mgL-1 + NAA 0.5mgL-1 fortified MS medium. Maximum (66.7 %) and earliest (12.3 days) root formation in shoots was recorded on IBA 3.0mgL-1 is 1/2MS media. Survival rate of regenerated plantlets was maximum (73.33 %) in the potting mixture containing garden soil, sand and vermicompost (1:1:1).
Gerbera, Gerbera jamesonii, Leaf Explants, Callus, in Vitro Regeneration.
- Akter, N., Hoque, M.I. and Sarker, R.H. 2012. In vitro propagation in three varieties of Gerbera (Gerbera jamesonii Bolus.) from flower bud and flower stalk explants. Pl.Tiss. Cult. & Biotech. 22: 143-152.
- Bhatia, R., Singh, K.P. and Singh, M.C. 2012. In vitro mass multiplication of gerbera (Gerbera jamesonii) using capitulum explants. Indian J. Agril. Sci.82: 1-6.
- Bhargava, B., Dilta, B.S., Gupta, Y.C., Dhiman, S.R. and Modgil, M. 2013. Studies on micropropagation of gerbera (Gerbera jamesonii Bolus). Indian J. Appl. Res. 3: 111.
- Chawla, H.S. 1991. Regeneration potentiality and isoenzyme variation during morphogenesis of barely callus. Biologia Plantarum, 33: 175-180.
- Dutta, K. and Gantait, S.S. 2016. In vitro cormel production and changes in calli composition during morphogenesis in gladiolus. Indian J Agril. Sci. 86:120-6.
- Hasbullah, N.A., Saleh, A. and Taha, R.M. 2011. Establishment of somatic embryogenesis from Gerbera jamesonii Bolus. Ex. Hook F. through suspension culture. African J Biotech. 10: 13762-68.
- Kadu, A.R. 2013. In vitro micropropagation of gerbera using axillary bud. Asian J Biol. Sci. 8: 15-18.
- Murashige, T.S. and Skoog, F. 1962. A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiology Plantarum. 15: 473-479.
- Paduchuri, P., Deogirkar, G.V., Kamdi, S.R., Kale, M.C. and Madhavi, D. 2010. In vitro callus induction and root regeneration studies in Gerbera jamesonii. International J Advanced Biotech and Res. 1: 87-90.
- Samanthi, J.A., Kumari, M.P., Herath, H.K., Shirani, A. and Nugaliyadde, M.M. 2013. Development of in vitro establishment and multiplication technology from gerbera flower buds. Anna. Sri Lanka Dept. Agri. 15: 305-09.
- Shailaja, V.P. 2002. Studies on in vitro propagation of Gerbera jamesonii Bolus. M.Sc. Thesis, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, India.
- Son, N.V., Monakshi, A.N., Hegde, R.V., Patil, V.S. and Lingaraju, S. 2011. Response of gerbera (Gerbera jamesonii Bolus.) varieties to micropropagation. Karnataka J Agril .Sci. 24: 354 – 357.
- Thorpe, T.A. 1990. The current status of plant tissue culture. p1-33. In: Plant Tissue Culture: Applications and Limitations. Bhojwani, S.S. (ed.), Elsevier Science Publisher, New York, USA
Abstract Views: 108
PDF Views: 20