Open Access Subscription Access
Triticum aestivum(Wheat Grass);A Power House Plant-A Review
Wheat Grass refers to the young grass of the common wheat plant, Triticum aestivum that is freshly juiced or dried into powder for animal and human consumption. Both provide chlorophyll, amino acids, minerals, vitamins, and enzymes. Wheat grass is a humble weed known as the powerhouse of nutrients and vitamins for the human body. In the form of fresh juice, it has high concentrations of chlorophyll, active enzymes, vitamins and other nutrients. The present review article focuses onto the use of wheatgrass in various disease conditions. It has shown potential anti inflammatory, anti oxidant and anti ageing property Since very few clinical studies have been done on this very promising herbal drug, efforts are needed to conduct extensive studies on the wheat grass both in experimental models and human subjects to develop wheat grass therapy with no side effects in prevention, cure and management of chronic diseases for which our modern systems have lost their hopes.
Wheat Grass, Triticum aestivum, Cancer, Gum Disease.
- Jarvis, William (2001-01-18). "Wheatgrass Therapy". The National Council Against Health Fraud.
- Fahey JW, stephensonkk, dinkova-kostova at, egner pa, kenslertw, talalay p. Chlorophyll, chlorophyllin and related tetrapyrroles are significant inducers of mammalian phase 2 cytoprotective genes. Carcinogenesis 2005;26(7):1247-1255.
- DeVogel J, Denize SML, Jonker TM, Katan MB, Meer R van der: Natural chlorophyll but not chlorophyllin prevents heme-induced cytotoxic and hyperproliferative effect in rat colon. J Nutr 2005,135: 1995-00.
- Healthy Benefits of Wheat Grass (Online). Available from: URL:http://www.ph-ion.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=32.
- Kulkarni SD, Acharya R, Nair AG, Reddy AVR. Determination of elemental concentration profiles in tender wheat grass (triticumaestivum L. using instrumental neutron activation analysis. Food Chemistry 2006; 4: 699-707.
- Swati P, Sushma D, Indira R, Alka G, Mamta D. Multitude potential of Wheat grass Juice (Green Blood): An overview. Chronicles of Young Scientist 2010; 1(2):23-28.
- Bar-sella P. Rejunvention-Health According to Dr. Ann Wigmore's Teachings. Kiryat Ono. Israel: Shachar Ltd, (in Hebrew) 1998:142-152.
- Fahey, Jed W, Katherine K, Stephenson, Albena T, Kostova D, Patricia A, Egner, Thomas W, Kensler and Talalay P: "Chlorophyll, chlorophyllin and related tetrapyrroles are significant inducers of mammalian phase 2 cytoprotective genes". Carcinogenesis (Oxford University Press) 2005,6 (7): 1247-1255.
- Wheat J, Currie J: Herbal medicine for cancer patients: An evidence based review. The Internet Journal of Alternative Medicine 2008, 5: 28-30.
- "Nutrition Facts and Analysis for wheat grass". Nutrition Data. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Ben A E, Goldin E, Wengrower D, Stamper A, Kohn R, Berry E: Wheat grass juice in the treatment of active distal ulcerative colitis: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Scand J Gastroenterol 2002, 37: 444-449.
- Taheri JB, Azimi S, Refieian N, Zanjani HA. Herbs in dentistry. Int Dent J.2011, Dec, 61(6); 287-96.
- Durairaj VHoda M, Shakya G, Babu SP, Rajagopalan R. Phytochemical screening and analysis of antioxidant properties of aqueous extract of wheatgrass. Asian Pac J Trop Med.2014;sep;751:5398-404.
- Smith BH: Generalization of spatially variant apodization to non integral Nyquist sampling rats. IEEE Trans Image Process 2000, 9:1088-1093.
- Chris Reynolds. Articles on Wheatgrass Healing/Wheatgrass Healing - A Brief Scientific Review.
- Food Science and Quality Management ISSN 2224-6088 (Paper) ISSN 2225-0557 (Online) Vol 2, 2011.
- Wigmore A. The wheat grass Book, New York. Avery Publishing group 1986.
- Goldberg S.1943.Am.J.Surg.1943;62:117-123.
- Sandstrom PA, Mannie MD, Buttke TM: Inhibition of activation-induced death in T cell hybridomas by thiolantioxidants: oxidative stress as a mediator of apoptosis. J LeukocBiol 1994,55: 221-226.
- BarSela G, Tsalic M, Fried G, Goldberg H: Wheat grass juice may improve hematological toxicity related to chemotherapy in breast cancer patients. Nutr Cancer. 2007, 58(1): 43-48.
- Noorjahan Banu Alitheen, Chuah Li Oon, YeapSweeKeong, Tan KeeChuan, Ho Ket Li And Ho Wan Yong: Cytotoxic Effects Of Commercial Wheatgrass And Fiber Towards Human Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia Cells (Hl60). Pak. J. Pharm. Sci. 2011, 24(3): 243-250.
- Borabas, J.,Nemeth, ZS, Hungarian Med. J. (Orvosi Hetilap) 2006;174(35):1709-11.
- Karadag, A. et al. Anti proliferative and apoptotic effects of wheat grass (Triticum aestivum L)extract onchronic myeloid leukemia (CML) cell line. Planta Med 2007;73.
- Jain G, Argal A, Pathak A.K, Singh V.K, Kannojia P: Hepato-protective activity of wheatgrass juice. The pharmacist 2007, 2(1) 29-30.
- Locniskar M. (1988). Nutrition today. 3:37.
- T. Nenonen,. Helve T, Rauma T, Nninen H: uncooked, Lactobacilli-Rich, Vegan Food And Rheumatoid arthritis. British Journal Of Rheumatology 1998; 37:274-281.
Abstract Views: 335
PDF Views: 3