Relationship of Reasoning Skills and Metacognitive Abilities on Earth and Life Science among Senior High School Students
Reasoning skills and Metacognitive abilities are important factors in student learning process. This study is an essential to the students on how to understand and learn in their intellectual development and thinking skills. Scientific reasoning abilities can also have a long term impact on students’ academic achievement. To move forward, educators and researchers produce good assessment tools that can be evaluated by reasoning skills and metacognitive abilities. This is important for gauging the abilities of students that are appropriate in their level of learning under the K-12 curriculum. The research used a descriptive survey method using quantitative approach. The mean and the standard deviation were used to determine the relationship of the two variables, while the t-test was employed to determine the significant difference of the mean scores on pretest and posttest correlation between reasoning skills and metacognitive ability. It can be inferred that there is a positive moderate correlation between the two variables which signify that the reasoning skills of the respondents go higher, the metacognitive skills become better but, despite the moderate correlation, the findings is not significant as shown in the p-value of 0.590 which is greater than α= 0.05.
- . W. Bybee, Rodger & Fuchs, Bruce. (2006). Editorial - Preparing the 21st century workforce: A new reform in science and technology education. Journal of Research in Science Teaching. 43. 349 - 352. 10.1002/tea.20147.
- . Lawson, A. E. (2000). Classroom test of scientific reasoning (revised). Retrieved 10 September 2013, from http://www.ncsu.edu/per/testInfo.html.
- . Zimmerman M. A. (2013). Resiliency theory: a strengths-based approach to research and practice for adolescent health. Health education & behavior: the official publication of the Society for Public Health Education, 40(4)381–383. doi:10.1177/1090198113493782
- . Kambeyo, Linus. (2017). scientific reasoning skills: a theoretical background on science education 14. 40-64
- . Plotnik, R. (2006). Introduction to psychology, 7th Ed. Singapore: Wadsworth.
- . Zeineddin, A. & Abd-El-Khalick, F. (2008). On coordinating theory with evidence: The role of epistemic commitments in scientific reasoning among college students. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 4, 153-168. Retrieved on February 3, 2011 from http://www.ejmste.com/v4n2/eurasia_v4n2_zeine d din.pdf.
- . Velzen J. (2012) Teaching metacognitive knowledge and developing expertise, Teachers and Teaching, 18:3, 365380
- . Gillies, R. M., Nichols, K., Burg, G., & Haynes, M. (2014). Primary students’ scientific reasoning and discourse during cooperative inquiry-based science activities. International Journal of Education Research, 127-140
- . Pintrich, Paul R. (2002). The role of metacognitive knowledge in learning, teaching, and assessing. Theory into Practice, 41(4). 219-225.
- . Steinbach, J.C. (2010). The effect of metacognitive strategy instruction on writing. Lexington: First Edition
- . Rojo, P. (2011), Studying the effects of the differentiated Instruction in the science classroom, Montana State University Bozeman, Montana Gillies, R. M., Nichols, K., Burg, G., & Haynes, M. (2014). Primary students’ scientific reasoning and discourse during cooperative inquiry-based science activities. International Journal of Education Research, 127-140
- . Zimmerman, C. (2000). The development of scientific reasoning skills. Developmental Review, 20(1), 99-149.
- . McArdle, J. J. (2009). Latent Variable Modeling of Differences in Changes with Longitudinal Data. Annual Review of Psychology, 60, 577- 605.
- . Sarican, G., Akgunduz, D. (2018). The impact of integrated STEM education on academic achievement, reflective thinking skills towards problem solving and permanence in learning in science education. Cypriot Journal of Educational Science. 13(1), 94-113
- . Haryani, S &, Masfufah & Wijayati, N & Kurniawan, Cepi. (2018). Improvement of metacognitive skills and students’ reasoning ability through problem-based learning. Journal of Physics: Conference Series. 983. 012174. 10.1088/1742-6596/983/1/012174.
- . Corebima Aloysius, Duran & Rohman, Fatchur & Novita Inya Buku, Maria. (2016). The correlation between metacognitive skills and the critical thinking skills of the senior high school students in biology learning through the implementation of Problem Based Learning (PBL) in Malang, Indonesia. International Journal of Academic Research and Development. 1. 58-63.
Abstract Views: 1
PDF Views: 0