Open Access Subscription Access
Earthquake swarms in Palghar district, Maharashtra, Deccan Volcanic Province
The Palghar district of Maharashtra falls in zone III of the seismic zoning map of India, where earthquakes up to magnitude 6.0 can occur1. A swarm activity was started in the Palghar district of Maharashtra in November 2018 and is still continuing (till the end of November 2019). According to reports from the National Centre for Seismology (NCS), more than 1,000 earthquakes of micro-tominor magnitude have occurred in the Dahanu and Talasari talukas of Palghar district, from 3 November 2018 to 15 February 2019. The biggest tremor of magnitude ML 3.7 was recorded on 1 February 2019, at 3.54 PM (IST). The people of Dahanu and Talasari talukas were panicked by the abnormal ground vibration and burst sound that they felt. In fact, Jawahar city in Palghar district has experienced swarms several times earlier.
- Bureau of Indian Standards, Criteria for Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures, 2002, fifth revision, p. 39.
- National Centre for Seismology, Ministry of Earth Sciences, New Delhi; https://www.moes.gov.in/programmes/national-centre-seismology
- Chandra, U., Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 1977, 67, 1387–1413.
- Mohan, G., Surve, G. and Tiwarari, P. K., Curr. Sci., 2007, 93, 991–996.
- Biswas, S. K., Tectonophysics, 1987, 135, 307–327.
- Dessai, A. G. and Bertrand, H., Tectonophysics, 1995, 241, 165–178.
- Seismotectonic Atlas of India and its Environs, Geological Survey of India, Special Publication number, 59, Kolkata, 2000.
- Chopra, S. et al., Seismol. Res. Lett., 2008, 79, 799–808.
- Havskov, J. and Ottemoller, L., SEISAN: The Earthquake Analysis Software for Windows, Solaris and Linux, Version 8.0, Institute of Solid Earth Physics, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway, 2003, pp. 1–400.
- Lienert, B. R. E. and Havskov, J., Seismol. Res. Lett., 1995, 66, 26–36.
- Joshi, V., Chopra, S., Mahesh, P. and Kumar, S., Seismol. Res. Lett., 2017; doi:10.1785/0220160203.
- Waldhauser, F. and Ellsworth, W. L., Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 2000, 90, 1353– 1368.
- Sokos, E. N. and Zahradnik, J., ISOLA: A Matlab GUI for use with ISOLA fortran codes, USER’s Guide, 2000, Ver. 2.5, p. 34.
- Sateesh, A., Mahesh, P., Singh, A. P., Kumar, S., Chopra, S. and Ravi Kumar, M., Environ. Earth Sci., 2019, 78, 381; doi: 10.1007/s12665-019-8382-1.
- Chopra, S. et al., J. Geol. Soc. India, 2008, 72, 245–252.
- Bhattacharya, S. N. and Dattatrayam, R. S., Gondwana Geol. Magz., 2003, v5, 67–85.
- Srinagesh, D. et al., Geol. Soc. India, 2015, 85, 419–430.
Abstract Views: 3
PDF Views: 0