Open Access Subscription Access
P. C. Vaidya’s Contributions to Mathematics and Physics
Prahalad Chunnilal Vaidya was an eminent general relativist, gravitation theorist, physicist, mathematician, educationist and a follower of Gandhian philosophy in post-independence India. Apart from his scientific career, Vaidya is renowned for his Vaidya metric. Though he has contributed significantly to the scientific community, very few people are aware about him or his contributions. As 23 May 2019 was the 101st birth anniversary of Vaidya, here we present his contributions and their impact through a bibliometric study. This study presents an analysis of published research works of Vaidya. During his active career, he had contributed 102 publications, including 90 journal articles, 5 conference papers, 4 book chapters, 2 review articles and 1 report. His publications have received 2004 citations, h-index of 18 and i10-index of 29 from 1979 to 2018. We analysed Vaidya’s publications by type, country, journals, publishers, citations, year-wise growth, collaborated authors, top cited papers, etc. This bibliometric study is an effort to draw the attention of the younger generation of scientists to Vaidya and his contributions.
Bibliometric Analysis, Citations, Mathematics, Physics.
- Prahalad Chunnilal Vaidya, Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prahalad_Chunnilal_Vaidya (accessed 10 August 2018).
- Shanbag, S., Indian scientist – Prof P. C. Vaidya (motion picture); https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvzV3RTEkF4 (accessed on 1 May 2019).
- Sherrif, A., Remembering the forgotten scientist who fought for freedom and for science; https://www.thebetterindia.com/143176/forgotten-indian-scientist-who-fought-for-freedom-and-for-science/ (accessed on 1 May 2019).
- Shastri P., 100/100 for Gujarat’s mathematics guru; https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/ahmedabad/100/100-for-gujarats-mathematics-guru/articleshow/64279402.cms (accessed on 1 May 2019).
- Ramnath, A., Centenary: P. C. Vaidya, a Gandhian physicist who laboured in India’s shadows; https://thewire.in/the-sciences/centenary-p-c-vaidya-a-gandhian-physicist-who-laboured-in-indias-shadows (accessed on 1 May 2019).
Abstract Views: 9
PDF Views: 1