Open Access Subscription Access
India’s Second Biennial Update Report:Five Key Takeaways
India submitted its second Biennial Update Report (BUR II) to the UNFCCC on 31 December 2018, which builds upon the information presented in the Second National Communication (SNC). Being a non-Annex I party to the Convention, India like many other developing nations has to fulfil its reporting obligation of furnishing BURs every two years to intimate its climate mitigation efforts. Biennial reporting is aimed at highlighting trends in the national greenhouse gas inventory, mitigation actions, need for climate-friendly technologies, finance, capacity-building and lastly existing domestic Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) mechanisms. The comprehensiveness and depth of information present in BUR II, have increased considerably in comparison to its earlier version (BUR I). This paper suggests points relevant for improvizing on key aspects related to energy demands, MRV and the technology transfer process.
- China Power team. How is China managing its greenhouse gas emissions? ChinaPower, 19 July 2018 (updated on 7 November 2018 and accessed on 10 February 2019); https://chinapower.csis.org/china-greenhouse-gas-emissions/
- MoEF&CC, India: Second Biennial Update Report to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Government of India (GoI), 2018.
- Central Statistics Office, Department at A Glance. The Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare, GoI, 10 February 2019; http://agricoop.nic.in/department-glance.
- MoEF&CC, ISFR 2017: Key findings. Press Information Bureau, 10 February 2019; http://pibphoto.nic.in/documents/rlink/2018/feb/p201821201.pdf
- MoEF&CC, Total forest and tree cover has increased; increase in carbon stock an assurance to negotiators at Cop 21: Javadekar, Press Information Bureau, 10 February 2019; http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=132571
- Le Quéré, C. et al., Earth Syst. Sci. Data, 2018, 10(4), 2141–2194; https://doi.org/10.5194/essd-10-2141-2018.
- BP India, Country and regional insights – India. BP Energy Outlook, 2018.
Abstract Views: 35
PDF Views: 0