Open Access Subscription Access
Effects of Inclusion Compounds of 1-Methylcyclopropene/α -Cyclodextrin or 1-Methyl-3-(2-Methylcyclopropyl)-1- Cyclopropene/Cu-β -Cyclodextrin on the Preservation of Sweet Cherry (Prunus avium L.)
Sweet cherry (Prunus avium L.) was used to study the effects of 500, 1000 and 2000 nl/l 1-methylcyclopropene (1-MCP; released from the inclusion compound of 1-methylcyclopropene/α -cyclodextrin; 1- MCP/α-CD) and 800, 1600 and 3200 nl/l 1-methyl-3- (2-methylcyclopropyl)-1-cyclopropene (1-MMCPCP; released from the inclusion compound of 1-methyl- 3-(2-methylcyclopropyl)-1-cyclopropene/Cu-β-CD; 1- MMCPCP/Cu-β-CD) on storage quality at ambient temperature after 8 h of treatment. UV spectra indicated both 1-MCP and 1-MMCPCP distinctly slowed down the increasing rate of browning level and the decreasing rate of titratable acidity content, soluble protein content, superoxide dismutase activity and ascorbate peroxidase activity of sweet cherry. However, they had little control on the decrease in soluble solids content. As a whole, the quality of treated sweet cherry was preserved much better than that of the controls. Moreover, a comparison between 1- MMCPCP/Cu-β -cyclodextrin and 1-MCP/α -cyclodextrin showed that the preservation effects of these two inclusion compounds were similar.
Cyclodexdrin, Inclusion Compounds, Preservation, Sweet Cherry.
- Sisler, E. C. and Serek, M., Inhibitors of ethylene responses in plants at the receptor level: recent developments. Physiol. Plant., 1997, 100, 577–582.
- Huber, D. J., Suppression of ethylene responses through application of 1-methylcyclopropene: a powerful tool for elucidating ripening and senescence mechanisms in climacteric and nonclimacteric fruits and vegetables. HortScience, 2008, 43(1), 106– 111.
- Fan, X. T. and Mattheis, J. P., Yellowing of broccoli in storage is reduced by 1-methylcyclopropene. HortScience, 2000, 35, 885– 887.
- Ku, V. V. V. and Wills, R. B. H., Effect of 1-methylcyclopropene on the storage life of broccoli. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 1999, 17, 127–132.
- Ella, L., Zion, A., Nehemia, A. and Amnon, L., Effect of the ethylene action inhibitor 1-methylcyclopropene on parsley leaf senescence and ethylene biosynthesis. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 2003, 30, 67–74.
- Liu, Z. Y., Lv, Y. C. and Jiang, W. B., Effects of 1-MCP and ethylene on postharvest quality of green asparagus. J. China Agric. Univ., 2003, 8, 26–28 (in Chinese with English abstract).
- Saltveit, M. E., Effect of 1-methylcyclopropene on phenylpropanoid metabolism, the accumulation of phenolic compounds, and browning of whole and fresh-cut ‘iceberg’ lettuce. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 2004, 34, 75–80.
- Nilsson, T., Effects of ethylene and 1-MCP on ripening and senescence of European seedless cucumbers. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 2005, 36, 113–125.
- Alejandra, S., Lucĭa, A., Adela, M. and Joaquĭn, C., Reduction of chilling injury symptoms in persimmon fruit cv. ‘Rojo Brillante’ by 1-MCP. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 2004, 33, 285–291.
- Shinji, H., Ryohei, N., Susumu, Y., Yoshinobu, K., Yoshihira, Y., Akitsugu, I. and Yasutaka, K., Extending shelf-life of astringent persimmon (Diospyros kaki Thunb.) fruit by 1-MCP. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 2003, 29, 318–323.
- Fan, X. T., Blankenship, S. M. and Mattheis, J. P., 1-Methylcyclopropene inhibits apple ripening. J. Am. Soc. Hortic. Sci., 1999, 6, 690–695.
- Pre-Aymard, C., Weksler, A. and Lurie, S., Responses of ‘Anna’, a rapidly ripening summer apple, to 1-methylcyclopropene. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 2003, 27, 163–170.
- Sisler, E. C., Serek, M. and Dupille, E., Comparison of cyclopropene, 1-methylcyclopropene and 3,3-methylcyclopropene as ethylene antagonists in plant. Plant Growth Regul., 1996, 18, l69–l74.
- Feng, X., Apelbaum, A., Sisler, E. C. and Goren, R., Control of ethylene responses in avocado fruit with 1-methylcyclopropene. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 2000, 20, 143–150.
- Jeong, J., Huber, D. J. and Sargent, S. A., Influence of 1-methylcyclopropene (1-MCP) on ripening and cell-wall matrix polysaccharides of avocado (Persea americana) fruit. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 2002, 25, 241–256.
- Argenta, L. C., Fan, X. T. and Mattheis, J. P., Influence of 1-methylcyclopropene on ripening, storage life, and volatile production by d’Anjou cv. pear fruit. J. Agric. Food Chem., 2003, 51, 3858–3864.
- Khan, A. S. and Singh, Z., 1-MCP regulates ethylene biosynthesis and fruit softening during ripening of ‘Tegan Blue’ plum. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 2007, 43, 298–306.
- Valero, D., Martinez-Romero, D., Valverde, J. M., Guillen, F., Castillo, S. and Serrano, M., Could the 1-MCP treatment effectiveness in plum be affected by packaging? Postharvest Biol. Technol., 2004, 34, 295–303.
- Bassetto, E., Jacomino, A. P., Pinheiro, A. L. and Kluge, R. A., Delay of ripening of ‘PedroSato’ guava with 1-methylcyclopropene. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 2005, 35, 303–308.
- Singh, S. P. and Pal, R. K., Response of climacteric-type guava (Psidium guajava L.) to postharvest treatment with 1-MCP. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 2008, 47, 307–314.
- Sisler, E. C., The discovery and development of compounds counteracting ethylene at the receptor level. Biotechnol. Adv., 2006, 24, 357–367.
- Sisler, E. C., Dupille, E. and Serek, M., Effect of 1-methylcyclopropene, and methylenecyclopropene on ethylene binding and ethylene action in cut carnations. Plant Growth Regul., 1996, 18, 79–86.
- Palou, L., Crisosto, C. H., Garner, D. and Basinal, L. M., Effect of continuous exposure to exogenous ethylene during cold storage on postharvest decay development and quality attributes of stone fruits and table grapes. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 2003, 27, 243– 254.
- Feng, J. T., Yan, W., Xu, H. and Zheng, S. N., Synthesis of inclusion complex of 1-methylcyclopropene encapsulated by α cyclodextrin. Chin. J. Appl. Chem., 2010, 27, 82–86.
- Yan, W., Feng, J. T. and Zhu, J. W., Antistaling agent for fruits, vegetables and flowers-inclusion compounds of 1-methylcyclopropene and its preparation methods. Patent application number: ZL201010511847.8. State Intellectual Property Office of the PRC, 2010.
- Yan, W., Chang, L. and Feng, J. T., Antistaling agent for fruits, vegetables and flowers-inclusion compounds of 1-methyl-3-(2methylcyclopropyl)-1-cyclopropene and its preparation methods, Patent application number: ZL201010511846.3. State Intellectual Property Office of the PRC, 2010.
- Wrolstad, R. E., Color and pigment analyses in fruit products. Station Bulletin no. 624. Agricultural Experiment Station, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, Agricultural Experiment Station, Oregon State University, USA, 1976.
- Bradford, M. M., A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein dye binding. Anal. Biochem., 1976, 72, 248–254.
- Madamanchi, N. R., Donahue, J. L., Cramer, C. L., Alscher, R. G. and Pedersen, K., Differential response of Cu, Zn superoxide dismutases in two pea cultivars during a short-term exposure to sulfur dioxide. Plant Mol. Biol., 1994, 26, 95–103.
- Rao, M. V., Paliyath, G. and Ormrod, D. P., Ultraviolet-B- and ozone-induced biochemical changes in antioxidant enzymes of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiol., 1996, 110, 125–136.
- Bernalte, M. J., Sabio, E., Hern´andez, M. T. and Gervasini, C., Influence of storage delay on quality of ‘Van’ sweet cherry. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 2003, 28, 303–312.
- Venturini, M. E., Oria, R. and Blanco, D., Microflora of two varieties of sweet cherries: Burlat and Sweetheart. Food Microbiol., 2002, 19, 15–21.
- Esti, M., Cinquante, L., Sinesio, F., Moneta, E. and Di Matteo, M., Physicochemical and sensory fruit characteristic of two sweet cherry cultivars after cool storage. Food Chem., 2002, 76, 399– 405.
- Kappel, F., Toivonen, P., McKenzie, D. L. and Stan, S., Storage characteristics of new sweet cherry cultivars. HortScience, 2002, 38, 139–143.
- Wang, L. and Vestrheim, S., Controlled atmosphere storage of sweet cherries (Prunus avium L.). Acta Agric. Scand. B, 2002, 52, 136–142.
- El-Kereamy, A. et al., Exogenous ethylene stimulates the longterm expression of genes related to anthocyanin biosynthesis in grape berries. Physiol. Plant., 2003, 119, 175–182.
- Dong, L., Lurie, S. and Zhou, H., Effect of 1-methylcyclopropene on ripening of ‘Canino’ apricots and ‘Royal Zee’ plums. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 2002, 24, 135–145.
- Wills, R. B. H. and Ku, V. V. V., Use of 1-MCP to extend the time to ripen of green tomatoes and postharvest life of ripe tomatoes. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 2002, 26, 85–90.
- Fan, X. T. and Mattheis, J. P., Impact of 1-methylcyclopropene and methyl jasmonate on apple volatile production. J. Agric. Food Chem., 1999, 47, 2847–2853.
- Fan, X. T. and Mattheis, J. P., Methyl jasmonate promotes apple fruit degreening independently of ethylene action. HortScience, 1999, 34, 310–312.
- Watkins, C. B., Nock, J. F. and Whitaker, B. D., Responses of early, mid and late season apple cultivars to postharvest application of 1-methylcyclopropene (1-MCP) under air and controlled atmosphere storage conditions. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 2000, 19, 17–32.
- Mir, N. A., Curell, E., Khan, N., Whitaker, M. and Beaudry, R. M., Harvest maturity, storage temperature, and 1-MCP application frequency alter firmness retention and chlorophyll fluorescence of ‘Redchief Delicious’ apples. J. Am. Soc. Hort. Sci., 2001, 126, 618–624.
- Porat, R., Weiss, B., Cohen, L., Daus, A., Goren, R. and Droby, S., Effects of ethylene and 1-methylcyclopropene on the postharvest qualities of ‘Shamouti’ oranges. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 1999, 15, 155–163.
- Blankenship, S. M. and Dole, J. M., 1-Methylcyclopropene: a review. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 2003, 28, 1–25.
- Serek, M., Tamari, G., Sisler, E. C. and Borochov, A., Inhibition of ethylene-induced cellular senescence symptoms by 1-methylcyclopropene, a new inhibitor of ethylene action. Physiol. Plant., 1995, 94, 229–232.
- Kalt, W., Forney, C. F., Martin, A. and Prior, R. L., Antioxidant capacity, vitamin C, phenolics, and anthocyanins after fresh storage of small fruits. J. Agric. Food Chem., 1999, 47, 4638– 4644.
- Shaham, Z., Lers, A. and Lurie, S., Effect of heat or 1-methylcyclopropene on antioxidative enzyme activities and antioxidants in apples in relation to superficial scald development. J. Am. Soc. Hortic. Sci., 2003, 128, 761–766.
- Hayat, I., Masud, T. and Rathore, H., Effect of coating and wrapping materials on the shelf life of apple (Malus domestica cv. Borkh). Int. J. Food Saf., 2005, 5, 24–34.
- Ahn, T., Paliyath, G. and Murr, D. P., Antioxidant enzyme activities in apple varieties and resistance to superficial scald development. Food Res. Inter., 2007, 40, 1012–1019.
- Goncalves, B., Landbo, A. K., Let, M., Silva, A. P., Rosa, E. and Meyer, A. S., Storage affects the phenolic profiles and antioxidant activities of cherries (Prunus avium L.) on human low-density lipoproteins. J. Sci. Food Agric., 2004, 84, 1013–1020.
- Sharma, M., Jacob, J. K., Subramanian, J. and Paliyath, G., Hexanal and 1-MCP treatments for enhancing the shelf life and quality of sweet cherry (Prunus avium L.). Sci. Hortic., 2010, 125, 239–247.
Abstract Views: 6
PDF Views: 0