Open Access Subscription Access
Genetic Lineage of Zeugodacus caudatus (Diptera:Tephritidae) Detected with mtCOI Gene Analysis from India
Zeugodacus caudatus (Fabricius) is a pest of cucurbit plants. The present study was conducted to draw the relationship among Indian Z. caudatus populations with the other defined genetic lineage of the species. A total of 18 individuals’ mtCOI gene sequences from 3 populations of India were analysed along with 34 individuals’ mtCOI gene sequences from Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand and China and generated 14 haplotypes. Phylogenetic study revealed the presence of distinct genetic lineage in Z. caudatus populations collected from India. The genetic distance between three distinct lineages of Z. caudatus was 0.057, 0.055 and 0.018 between Indonesia and Malaysia, India and Indonesia, and India and Malaysia, respectively and also evident from phylogenetic analysis. Further, the mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase I (COI) gene sequences developed in this study will help detection and geographical distribution of new haplotypes and lineages of the species in future.
Dacinae, Fruit Fly, Haplotypes, Population Genetics.
- White, I. M. and Elson-Harris, M. M., Fruit Flies of Economic Significance: Their Identification and Bionomics, CAB International, Wallingford, UK, 1992, p. 601.
- Clarke, A. R. et al., Invasive phytophagous pests arising through a recent tropical evolution radiation: The Bactrocera dorsalis complex of fruit flies. Annu. Rev. Entomol., 2005, 50, 293–319.
- Prabhakar, C. S. et al., Distribution and developmental biology of fruit flies infesting cucurbits in north-western Himalaya. J. Ins. Sci., 2009, 22, 300–308.
- Agarwal, M. L. and Sueyoshi, M., Catalogue of Indian fruit flies (Diptera: Tephritidae). Orient. Insects, 2005, 39, 371–433.
- Fletcher, B. S., The biology of Dacine fruit flies. Annu. Rev. Entomol., 1987, 32, 115–144.
- Drew, R. A. I., The tropical fruit flies (Diptera: Tephritidae: Dacinae) of the Australasian and Oceanian regions. Mem. Queensland Mus., 1989, 26, 1–521.
- Muraji, M. and Nakahara, S., Phylogenetic relationships among fruit flies, Bactrocera (Diptera, Tephritidae), based on the mitochondrial rDNA sequences. Ins. Mol. Biol., 2001, 10, 549– 559.
- Prabhakar, C. S., Biodiversity of fruit flies (Tephritidae: Diptera) and utilization of gut bacteria in their management. Ph D thesis, CSK Himachal Pradesh Krishi Vishavavidyalaya, Palampur, Himachal Pradesh, India, 2011.
- De Meyer, M. et al., A review of the current knowledge on Zeugodacus cucurbitae (Coquillett) (Diptera, Tephritidae) in Africa, with a list of species included in Zeugodacus. Zoo Keys, 2015, 540, 539–557.
- Kapoor, V. C. et al., Taxonomy and biology of economically important fruit flies of India. Isr. J. Entomol., 2005, 35–36, 459– 475.
- Prabhakar, C. S. et al., Fruit fly, Bactrocera scutellaris (Bezzi): a potential threat to cucurbit cultivation under low and mid hills of Himachal Pradesh. Pest Manage. Econ. Zool., 2007, 15, 181– 185.
- Hu, J. et al., Population genetic structure of the melon fly, Bactrocera cucurbitae (Diptera: Tephritidae), from China and Southeast Asia. Genetica, 2008, 134, 319–324.
- Lim, P.-E. et al., Distinct genetic lineages of Bactrocera caudata (Insecta: Tephritidae) revealed by COI and 16S DNA sequences. PLoS ONE, 2012, 7, e37276.
- Yong, H.-S. et al., Multigene phylogeography of Bactrocera caudata (Insecta: Tephritidae): Distinct genetic lineages in Northern and Southern Hemispheres. PLoS ONE, 2015, 10, e0129455.
- Jamnongluk, W. et al., Molecular phylogeny of tephritid fruit flies in the Bactrocera tau complex using the mitochondrial COI sequences. Genome, 2003, 46, 112–118.
- Prabhakar, C. S. et al., Population genetic structure of the melon fly, Bactrocera cucurbitae (Coquillett) (Diptera: Tephritidae) based on mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase (COI) gene sequences. Genetica, 2012, 140, 83–91.
- Prabhakar, C. S. et al., Population genetic structure of the pumpkin fruit fly, Bactrocera tau (Walker) (Diptera: Tephritidae) in Himachal Pradesh, India. Biochem. Syst. Ecol., 2013, 51, 291– 296.
- Boontop, Y. et al., Signatures of invasion: using an integrative approach to infer the spread of melon fly, Zeugodacus cucurbitae (Diptera: Tephritidae), across Southeast Asia and the West Pacific. Biol. Invasions, 2017, doi:10.1007/s10530-017-1382-8.
- Smith, P. T. et al., Phylogenetic relationships among Bactrocera species (Diptera: Tephritidae) inferred from mitochondrial DNA sequences. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol., 2003, 26, 8–17.
- Nardi, F. et al., Population structure and colonisation history of the olive fly Bactrocera oleae. Mol. Ecol., 2005, 14, 2729–2738.
- Wan, X. et al., The oriental fruit fly, Bactrocera dorsalis, in China: origin and gradual inland range expansion associated with population growth. PLoS ONE, 2011, 6, e25238.
- Choudhary, J. S. et al., Genetic analysis of oriental fruit fly, Bactrocera dorsalis (Diptera: Tephritidae) populations based on mitochondrial cox1 and nad1 gene sequences from India and other Asian countries. Genetica, 2016, 144, 611–623.
- Drew, R. A. I. and Raghu, S., The fruit fly fauna (Diptera: Tephritidae: Dacinae) of the rainforest habitat of the Western Ghats, India. Raffles Bull. Zool., 2002, 50, 327–352.
- Augustinos, A. A. et al., Detection and characterization of Wolbachia infections in natural populations of aphids: Is the hidden diversity fully unraveled? PLoS ONE, 2011, 6, e28695.
- Lunt, D. H. et al., The insect cytochrome oxidase I gene: evolutionary patterns and conserved primers for phylogenetic studies. Ins. Mol. Biol., 1996, 5, 153–165.
- Tamura, K., MEGA6: Molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol. Biol. Evol., 2013, 30, 2725–2729.
- Librado, P. and Rozas, J., DnaSP v5: a software for comprehensive analysis of DNA polymorphism data. Bioinformatics, 2009, 25, 1451–1452.
- Bandelt, H. J. et al., Median-joining networks for inferring intraspecific phylogenies. Mol. Biol. Evol., 1999, 16, 37–48.
- Rzhetsky, A. and Nei, M., A simple method for estimating and testing minimum evolution trees. Mol. Biol. Evol., 1992, 9, 945– 967.
- Saitou, N. and Nei, M., The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol. Biol. Evol., 1987, 4, 406–425.
- Kimura, M., A simple method for estimating evolutionary rate of base substitutions through comparative studies of nucleotide sequences. J. Mol. Evol., 1980, 16, 111–120.
- Felsenstein, J., Confidence limits on phylogenies: an approach using the bootstrap. Evolution, 1985, 39, 783–791.
- Baimai, V., Cytological evidence for a complex of species within the taxon Bactrocera tau (Diptera: Tephritidae) in Thailand. Biol. J. Linn. Soc., 2000, 69, 399–409.
- Jamnongluk, W. et al., Molecular evolution of tephritid fruit flies in the genus Bactrocera based on the cytochrome oxidase I gene. Genetica, 2003, 119, 19–25.
Abstract Views: 3
PDF Views: 0