Open Access Subscription Access
Green Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles using Azadirachta Indica and Ocimum Sanctum Leaf Extract
In the present study, green synthesis of stable silver nanoparticles was done using methanolic leaf extract of Azadirachta indica L. as well as Ocimum sanctum L. The antimicrobial activity was screened against UTI causing bacteria, viz. Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus using disc diffusion method. Silver nanoparticles derived from tulsi leaf extract inhibited E. coli by 12.00 ± 0.65 mm, K. pneumoniae by 9.66 ± 0.11 mm and S. aureus by 23.00 ± 0.81 mm at concentrations 1 mg/ml. Similarly, silver nanoparticles derived from neem leaf extract inhibited K. pneumoniae by 9.11 ± 0.81 mm and S. aureus by 09.0 ± 1.17 mm at concentrations 1 mg/ml respectively. Lower concentration (1 mg/ml) of tulsi and higher concentration (4 mg/ml) of neem leaf methanolic extract was observed to be effective against urinary tract infections in human causative agent S. aureus.
Antimicrobial Activity, Green Synthesis, Plant Extract, Silver Nanoparticle.
- Asha Rani, P. V., Hande, M. P. and Valiyaveettil, S., Antiproliferative activity of silver nanoparticles. BMC. Cell. Biol., 2009, 10, 1–14.
- Feng, Q. L., Wu, J., Chen, G. Q., Cui, F. Z., Kim, T. N. and Kim, J. O., A mechanistic study of the antibacterial effect of silver ions on Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus. J. Biomed. Mater. Res., 2000, 52, 662–668.
- Liau, S. Y., Read, D. C., Pugh, W. J., Furr, J. R. and Russell, A. D., Interaction of silver nitrate with readily identifiable groups: relationship to the antibacterial action of silver ions. Lett. Appl. Microbiol., 1997, 25, 279–283.
- Ahamed, M., Al Salhi, S. M. and Siddiqu, M. K. J., Silver nanoparticle applications and human health. Clim. Chim. Acta, 2010, 411, 1841–1848.
- Swain, P. et al., Antimicrobial activity of metal based nanoparticles against microbes associated with diseases in aquaculture. World J. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 2014, 30, 2491–2502.
- Rai, M., Yadav, A. and Gade, A., Silver nanoparticles as a new generation of antimicrobials. Biotechnol. Adv., 2009, 27, 76–83.
- Blakeney, E. H. (ed.), The History of Herodotus translated by G. Rawlinson, Dent, London, 1945.
- Banerjee, P., Satapathy, M., Mukhopahayay, A. and Das, P., Leaf extract mediated green synthesis of silver nanoparticles from widely available Indian plants: synthesis, characterization, antimicrobial property and toxicity analysis. Bioresour. Bioprocess, 2014, 1, 1–10.
- Wildenberg, V. and Willems, Roadmap Report on Nanoparticles, W&W Espana sl, Barcelona, Spain, 2005.
- Roy, P., Das, B., Mohanty, A. and Mohapatra, S., Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Azadirachta indica leaf extract and its antimicrobial study. Appl. Nanosci., 2017, 7, 843–850.
- Rout, Y., Behera, S., Ojha, A. K. and Nayak, P. L., Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Ocimum sanctum (Tulashi) and study of their antibacterial and antifungal activities. J. Microbiol. Antimicrob., 2012, 4, 103–109.
- Shaik, M. R. et al., Plant extract assisted green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Origanum vulgare L. extract and their microbicidal activities. Sustainability, 2018, 10, 913–927.
- Khan, M. Z. H., Tareq, F. K., Hossen, M. A. and Roki, M. N. A. M., Green synthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles using Coriandrum sativum leaf extract. J. Eng. Sci. Technol., 2018, 13, 158–166.
- Singh, J., Mehta, A., Rawat, M. and Basu, S., Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using sun dried tulsi leaves and its catalytic application for 4-nitrophenol reduction. J. Environ. Chem. Eng., 2018, 6, 1468–1474.
- Singh, S., Saikia, J. P. and Buragohain, A. K., A novel green synthesis of colloidal silver nanoparticles (SNP) using Dillenia indica fruit extract. Colloid. Surf. B, 2013, 102, 83–85.
- Saha, J., Begum, A., Mukherjee, A. and Kumar, S., A novel green synthesis of silver nanoparticles and their catalytic action in reduction of methylene blue dye. Sustain Environ. Res., 2017, 27, 245–250.
- Ahmed, S., Saifullah, Ahmad, M., Swami, B. L. and Ikram, S., Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Azadirachta indica aqueous leaf extract. J. Rad. Res. Appl. Sci., 2015, 9, 1–7.
- Azaizeh, H., Fulder, S., Khalil, K. and Said, O., Ethnomedicinal knowledge of local Arab practitioners in the Middle East Region. Fitoterapia, 2003, 74, 98–108.
- Siva, M., Shanmugam, K. R., Shanmugam, B., Venkata, S. G., Ravi, S., Sathyavelu Reddy, K. and Mallikarjuna, K., Ocimum sanctum: a review on the pharmacological properties. Int. J. Basic Clin. Pharmacol., 2016, 5, 558–565.
- Hemaiswarya, S., Kruthiventi, A. K. and Doble, M., Synergism between natural products and antibiotics against infectious diseases. Phytomedicine, 2008, 15, 639–652.
- Mondal, S., Mirdha, B. R. and Mahapatra, S. C., The science behind sacredness of tulsi (Ocimum sanctum Linn.). Indian J. Physiol. Pharmacol., 2009, 53, 291–306.
- Raseetha, V. S., Cheng, S. F. and Chuah, C. H., Comparative study of volatile compounds from genus Ocimum. Am. J. Appl. Sci., 2009, 6, 523–528.
- Omoja, V. U. et al., The effects of combination of methanolic leaf extract of Azadirachta indica and diminazene diaceturate in the treatment of experimental Trypanosoma brucei brucei infection in rats. Asian. Pac. J. Trop. Med., 2011, 4, 337–341.
- Blois, M. S., Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature, 1958, 181, 1199–1200.
- Deka, H., Das, S., Lahan, J. P. and Yadav, R. N. S., In-vitro free radical scavenging, antioxidant and antibacterial activity of Azadirachta indica A. Juss. of Assam. Adv. Life Sci., 2013, 3, 1–4.
- Bauer, K., Kirby, W., Sherris, J. and Truck, M., Antibiotic susceptibility testing by a standardized single disk method. Am. J. Clin. Pathol., 1966, 45, 493–496.
- Yuan, Y. G., Peng, Q. L. and Gurunathan, S., Effects of silver nanoparticles on multiple drug-resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa from mastitis-infected goats: an alternative approach for antimicrobial therapy. Int. J. Mol. Sci., 2017, 18(3), 569.
- Gao, X. et al., Toxicogenomic study in rat thymus of F1 generation offspring following maternal exposure to silver ion. Toxicol. Rep., 2014, 2, 341–350.
- Kulkarni, N. and Muddapur, U., Biosynthesis of metal nanoparticles: a review. J. Nanotechnol., 2014, 1–8.
- Jans, H., Liu, X., Austin, L., Maes, G. and Huo, Q., Dynamic light scattering as a powerful tool for gold nanoparticle bioconjugation and biomolecular binding studies. Anal. Chem., 2009, 81, 9425– 9432.
- Zanetti-Ramos, B. G. et al., Dynamic light scattering and atomic force microscopy techniques for size determination of polyurethane nanoparticles. Mater. Sci. Eng. C, 2009, 29, 638–640.
- Khlebtsov, B. N. and Khlebtsov, N. G., On the measurement of gold nanoparticle sizes by the dynamic light scattering method. Colloid J., 2011, 73, 118–127.
- Tscharnuter, W., Photon correlation spectroscopy in particle sizing. In Encyclopedia of Analytical Chemistry (ed. Meyers), John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester, 2000, pp. 5469–5485.
- Evanoff Jr, D. D. and Chumanov, G., Synthesis and optical properties of silver nanoparticles and arrays. Chem. Phys. Chem., 2005, 6, 1221–1223.
- Koppel, D. E., Analysis of macromolecular poly dispersity in intensity correlation spectroscopy: the method of cumulants. J. Chem. Phys., 1972, 57, 4814–4820.
- Berne, B. J. and Pecora, R., Dynamic Light Scattering: with Applications to Chemistry, Biology and Physics, Dover, New York, USA, 2000.
- Young, I. S. and Woodside, J. V., Antioxidants in health and disease. J. Clin. Pathol., 2001, 54, 176–186.
- Halliwell, B. and Gutteridge, J. C., The definition and measurement of antioxidants in biological systems. Free Radic. Biol. Med., 1995, 18, 125–126.
- Halliwell, B. and Gutteridge, J. M., Free Radicals in Biology and Medicine, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1989, 2nd edn.
- Cai, Y., Luo, Q., Sun, M. and Corke, H., Antioxidant activity and phenolics compounds of 112 traditional Chinese medicinal plants associated with anticancer. Life Sci., 2004, 74, 2157–2184.
- Pitchaon, M., Suttajit, M. and Pongsawatmanit, R., Assessment of phenolic content and free radical-scavenging capacity of some Thai indigenous plants. Food Chem., 2007, 100, 1409–1418.
- Balasundram, N., Sundram, K. and Samman, S., Phenolic compounds in plants and agri-industrial by-products: antioxidant activity, occurrence and potential uses. Food Chem., 2006, 99, 191–203.
- Mistry, K. S., Sanghvi, Z., Parmar, G. and Shah Samir, The antimicrobial activity of Azadirachta indica, Mimusops elengi, Tinospora cardifolia, Ocimum sanctum and 2% chlorhexidine gluconate on common endodontic pathogens: an in vitro study. Eur. J. Dentist., 2019, 8, 172–177.
Abstract Views: 3
PDF Views: 0