Open Access Subscription Access
Road widening along National Highway-58, Uttarakhand, India
In the perilous Himalayan region, the roadway network serves as arteries for transportation. The terrain is susceptible to potential landslides due to its inherent geology which is reflected in its weak rocks. Anthropogenic intervention for developmental activities is continuously aggravating and deteriorating the geoenvironmental condition of the region. One such intervention is the widening of roads being performed on fragile slopes. Here, the issues pertaining to improper excavation for road widening along National Highway- 58, Uttarakhand, India have been discussed. The surface and subsurface drainage treatment is the foremost measure that needs to be undertaken. Excavation at steep angle should be avoided. Some preventive measures like steel mesh should be used to retain potential falling blocks along with flexible barriers to reduce kinetic energy of these blocks. Proper execution of remedial measures will strengthen the safety along the highway. The excavated muck should be dumped by constructing well-planned and scientific dumping sites. Rock shed construction is proposed for rockfall-prone sections.
- Prakash, S., J. South Asia Disas. Stud., 2011, 4(2), 177–204.
- Prakash, S., Visit to Alaknanda Valley, Uttarakhand Himalaya during 22–24 June 2013, Report on Uttarkhand Disaster (16/17 June 2013) NIDM, Delhi, 2013.
- Sati, V. P., J. Earth Sci. Eng., 2013, 3, 562–568.
- Sajwan, K. S. and Sushil, K., J. Geol. Geophys., 2016; doi:10.4172/2381-8719. 1000258.
- Siddique, T. and Pradhan, S. P., Nat. Hazards, 2018, 93, 577–600.
- Siddique, T., Alam, M. M., Mondal, M. E. A. and Vishal, V., J. Rock Mech. Geotech. Eng., 2015, 7(5), 600–606.
- Siddique, T., Pradhan, S. P. and Vishal, V., In Proceedings of the National Conference on Advances in Geotechnical Engineering, Aligarh, 2016.
- Siddique, T., Pradhan, S. P., Vishal, V., Mondal, M. E. A. and Singh, T. N., Environ. Earth Sci., 2017, 76, 759.
- Vishal, V., Siddique, T., Purohit, R., Phophliya, M. K. and Pradhan, S. P., Nat. Hazards, 2017, 85(1), 487–503.
- Sati, S. P., Sunderiyal, Y. P., Rana, N. and Dangwal, S., Curr. Sci., 2011, 100(11), 1617–1620.
- Mills, S. W., Ho, A. N. L., Chan, E. K. K., Lau, K. W. K. and Sun, H. W., In International Conference on Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics, Goa, 2008.
- Grapel, C. and Skirrow, R., In Landslide and Engineered Slopes: Protecting Society through Improved Understanding, Taylor & Francis Group, London, 2012.
- Thibbotuwawa, D. P. M. B. and Weerasekara, K. S., Engineers, 2013, 46(2), 43–57.
Abstract Views: 13
PDF Views: 0