Open Access Subscription Access
Preparation of Nanosized Bioapatite by Cryogenic Grinding from Sintered Scales of Silver Carp Hypophthalmichthys Molitrix (Cuvier and Valenciennes)
The present study is based on the processing of bioapatite (BAp) of sintered fish scales, i.e. heat treated fish scales at 900°C, by the cryogenic grinding technique. It shows that BAp formed by cryogenic grinding of sintered fish scales became purer and nanosized. Earlier studies had reported that nanosized bioapatite increases the resorbability and bioactivity for tissue replacement and regeneration like bones and dental tissues of human beings. Energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy of sintered fish scale BAp confirmed the presence of tetracalcium phosphate with Ca/P ratio of 1.97. Field emission scanning electron microscopy and dynamic light scattering (DLS) showed microsized particles. The sintered fish scales when cryoground showed the formation of nanosized particles as revealed by transmission electron microscopy and DLS. The Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy results of sintered and cryoground BAp had similar functional groups, but cryoground BAp showed greater purity.
Bioapatite, Biogenic Source, Cryogenic Grinding, Fish Scales, Sintering.
- Supova, M. and Suchy, T., Bio-nanoceramics and bio-nanocomposites. In Handbook of Nanoceramic and Nanocomposite Coatings and Materials (eds Makhlouf, A. and Scharnweber, D.), Elsevier, Butterworth-Heinemann, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2015, pp. 29–58.
- Scalera, F., Influence of the calcinations temperature on morphological and mechanical properties of highly porous hydroxyapatite scaffolds. Ceram. Int., 2013, 39, 4839–4846.
- Mondal, S., Mondal, B., Dey, A. and Mukhopadhyay, S. S., Studies on processing and characterization of hydroxyapatite biomaterials from different biowastes. J. Miner. Mater. Character. Eng., 2012, 11, 55–67.
- Iwamoto, T., Hieda, Y. and Kogai, Y., Effect of hydroxyapatite surface morphology on cell adhesion. Mater. Sci. Eng. C, 2016, 69, 1263–1267.
- Raynaud, S., Champion, E., Bernache-Assollant, D. and Laval, J. P., Determination of calcium/phosphorus atomic ratio of calcium phosphate apatites using X-ray diffractometry. J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 2001, 84, 359–366.
- Habraken, W., Habibovic, P., Epple, M. and Bohner, M. Calcium phosphates in biomedical applications: materials for the future? Mater. Today, 2016, 19, 69–87.
- Moseke, C. and Gbureck, U., Tetracalcium phosphate: Synthesis, properties and biomedical applications. Acta Biomater., 2010, 6, 3815–3823.
- Huang, J., Lin, Y. W., Fu, X. W., Best, S. M., Brooks, R. A., Rushton, N. and Bonfield, W., Development of nano-sized hydroxyapatite reinforced composites for tissue engineering scaffolds. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Med., 2007, 18, 2151–2157.
- Posner, A. S., Crystal chemistry of bone mineral. Physiol. Rev., 1969, 49, 760–787.
- Eppell, J. S., Tong, W., Katz, L. Z., Kuhn, L. and Glimcher, J. M., Shape and size of isolated bone mineralites measured using atomic force microscopy. J. Orthop. Res., 2001, 19, 1027–1034.
- Varma, H. K. and Babu, S., Synthesis of calcium phosphate bioceramics by citrate gel pyrolysis method. Ceram. Int., 2005, 31, 109–114.
- Kai, D., Fan, H., Li, D., Zhu. X. and Zhang, X., Preparation of tetracalcium phosphate and the effect on the properties of calcium phosphate cement. Mater. Res. Forum, 2009, 610–613, 1356.
- Panda, N. N., Pramanik, K. and Sukla, L. B., Extraction and characterization of biocompatible hydroxyapatite from freshwater fish scales for tissue engineering scaffold. Bioprocess Biosyst. Eng., 2014, 37, 433.
Abstract Views: 12
PDF Views: 1