Open Access Subscription Access
Study of a Snow Avalanche Accident Along Chowkibal–Tangdhar Road in Kupwara District, Jammu and Kashmir, India
An avalanche accident was occurred on 5 January 2018 on Chowkibal–Tangdhar road in Kupwara district, Jammu and Kashmir about 6 km from Chowkibal village. One light passenger vehicle was swept away in the avalanche and 10 persons lost their lives. In this communication, we study the cause of avalanche accident and simulate the snow avalanche flow using Rapid Mass MovementS model. Total snow depth recorded at the nearest observation location from the accident site was 31 cm and fresh snow of the storm was 24 cm. Avalanche condition on slope was building up and the Snow and Avalanche Study Establishment issued an avalanche warning of ‘Low Danger’ for the Chokibal–Tangdhar road axis. Maximum thickness of avalanche debris on road was observed to be 3.0 m. Flow simulation showed maximum velocity of avalanche to be ~25 ms–1, maximum impact pressure ~9.39 × 104 kg m–1 s–2 and maximum height of avalanche flow ~3.0 m.
Avalanche Accident, Mountainous Terrain, Snow Storm.
- McClung, D. and Schaerer, P., The Avalanche Handbook, The Mountaineers Books, Seattle, WA, USA, 1993.
- McClung, D. M., Avalanche character and fatalities in the high mountains of Asia. Ann. Glaciol., 2016, 57(71), 114–118.
- Ganju, A., Thakur, N. K. and Rana, V., Characteristics of avalanche accidents in western Himalayan region, India. In Proceedings of the International Snow Science Workshop, Penticton, B.C., Canada, 29 September–4 October 2002, pp. 200–207.
- Gusain, H. S., Chand, D., Thakur, N., Singh, A. and Ganju, A., Snow avalanche climatology of Indian Western Himalaya. In International Symposium on Snow and Avalanches, Manali, 6–10 April 2009.
- Singh, A. and Ganju, A., A supplement to neares-neighbour method for avalanche forecasting. Cold Reg. Sci. Technol., 2004, 39, 105–113.
- Singh, A., Srinivasan, K. and Ganju, A., Avalanche forecast using numerical weather prediction in Indian Himalaya. Cold Reg. Sci. Technol., 2005, 43, 83–92.
- Joshi, J. C. and Srivastava, S., A Hidden Markov model for avalanche forecasting on Chowkibal–Tangdhar road axis in Indian Himalayas. J. Earth Syst. Sci., 2014, 123(8), 1771–1779.
- Joshi, J. C. and Ganju, A., Avalanche warning on Chowkibal– Tangdhar axis (J&K): a hybrid approach. Curr. Sci., 2006, 91(11), 1558.
- Gusain, H. S., Mishra, V. D., Arora, M. K., Mamgain, S. and Singh, D. K., Operational algorithm for generation of snow depth maps from discrete data in Indian Western Himalaya. Cold Reg. Sci. Technol., 2016, 126, 22–29.
- Buhler, Y., Kumar, S., Veitinger, J., Christen, M., Stoffel, A. and Snehmani, Automated identification of potential snow avalanche release areas based on digital elevation models. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 2013, 13, 1321–1335.
- Christen, M., Kowalski, J. and Bartelt, P., RAMMS: numerical simulation of dense snow avalanches in three-dimensional terrain. Cold Reg. Sci. Technol., 2010, 63, 1–14.
Abstract Views: 24
PDF Views: 1