Open Access Subscription Access
Identification of Potential Areas for Crops
Identification and delineation of potential areas for different crops, both at country and state level by using available legacy data assumes importance, in order to preserve and conserve these areas to feed the increasing population and future generations. In this direction, a new integrated approach has been developed to identify potential areas for different crops and the same has been validated. Identifying and delineating commodity specific areas/zones, would help in enhancing the productivity and profitability and framing of land use policies.
Potential Areas, Commodity Specific Zones/Areas, Relative Spread Index, Relative Yield Index, Land Use Policy.
- GoI, ‘Land Use Statistics at a Glance 2003–04 to 2012–13’ Directorate of Economics and Statistics, Department of Agriculture and Cooperation, Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India, New Delhi, May 2015.
- Sanbagavalli, S., Rohini, A., Ganesan, K. and Balasubramanian, T. N., Efficient cropping zones - decadal analysis for major crops in Tamil Nadu. Indian J. Agric. Res., 2002, 36(4), 227–233.
- Koppad, M. B. and Khan, H. S. S., Farming systems, 1996, 12, 1–4.
- Riquier, J., Bramo, D. and Cornel, J. F., A new system of soil appraisal in terms of actual and potential productivity, FAO – AGL-TESR/70/6, Rome, 1970.
- Storie, R. E., Storie Index Soil Rating (revised 1937) Spec. Publ. 1933, iv.Agric.Sci.No.3203, University, California.
- Sys, C., Land Evaluation in the tropics. Pedologie, 1993, XLIII-1, 117–142.
- Naidu, L. G. K., Ramamurthy, V., Challa, O., Rajendra Hegde and Krishnan, P., Manual on soil-site suitability criteria for major crops. 2006, NBSS publication. 129, Nagpur.
- Kanwar, J., Cropping patterns, scope and concept, In Proceeding of the Symposium, on Cropping Pattern in India, ICAR, New Delhi, 1972, pp. 11–32.
- Narayanan, A. L., Balasubramanian, T. N. Chellamuthu, V. and Senthilkumar, J., Identification of efficient rice cropping zone for union territory of Pondicherry. Madras Agric. J., 2003, 90(10–12), 729–731.
- Poornima, S., Kokilavani, S., Thavaprakaash, N., Babu, C., Geethalakshmi, V. and Jagannathan, R., Examining the prospective cropping zone of important field crops of Tamil Nadu. Madras Agric. J., 2008, 95(7–12), 364–370.
- Subrahmaniyan, K., Balasubramanian, T. N. and Kalaiselvan, P., Efficient cropping zone for groundnut (arachis hypogaea l.) in Tamil Nadu. Legume Res., 2005, 28(4), 244–249.
- Thavaprakaash, N., Babu, C. and Jagannathan, R., Identifying potential cropping zones for important horticultural crops of Tamil Nadu. Madras Agric. J., 2008, 95(7–12), 418–424.
- Kokilavani, S. and Geethalakshmi, V., Identification of efficient cropping zone for rice, maize and groundnut in Tamil Nadu. Indian J. Sci. Technol., 2013, 6(10), 5298–5301.
- Ramamurthy, V., Srinivas, S., Kumar, G. D. S., Aziz Quareshi and Singh, S. K., Identification of potential districts for sunflower in India. In International Conference on Integrated Land Use Planning for smart Agriculture, ISSLUP, Nagpur, 10–12 November 2016.
Abstract Views: 7
PDF Views: 1