Open Access Subscription Access
Obtaining 3D and 3D Revert Cultures of BMG-1 Cell Line for the Analysis of Cytokine Expression Differences
Methods to utilize cell lines as research material are evolving continuously as with the parallel advancement in instrumentation and analysis technologies. One such advancement in culture methodology of particular significance is the 3-dimensional (3D) way of culturing cells. It is now clear that 3D cultured cells behave differently from their monolayer (2D) counterparts and provide meaningful insights into complex cellular mechanisms that are rather difficult to study using 2D cultured cells. We take a step further and describe 3D-reverts, an extension of the ‘2D to 3D’ culture methodology. We demonstrate that 2D, 3D and 3DRs express cytokines differently and also that such differences extend to the culture stages of 3D and 3DRs, in a time-dependent manner. This approach of analysing differences between 3D and 3DRs as a timedependent or culture stage-dependent manner will surely enhance the utility of cells that will augment the 3D culture systems.
Agarose Hydrogels, BMG-1, 3D Aggregates, 3D Reverts, Cytokines, Differential Expression.
- Kalvakolanu, D. V., Cytokine signaling in cancer: novel players and pathways. Cytokine, 2017, 89, 1–3.
- Fran, B., Cancer and the chemokine network. Nat. Rev. Cancer, 2004, 4, 540–550.
- Andrew, G., Heiser, L. M., Gray, J. W. and Costello, J. C., Tumorderived cell lines as molecular models of cancer pharmacogenomics. Mol. Cancer Res., 2016, 14, 3–13.
- Pampaloni, F., Reynaud, E. G. and Stelzer, E. H. K., The third dimension bridges the gap between cell culture and live tissue. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol., 2007, 4, 839–845.
- Albulescu, R. et al., Cytokine patterns in brain tumour progression. Mediators Inflamm., 2013, 2013, 1–8.
- Piperi, C., Zisakis, A., Lea, R. W. and Kalofoutis, A., Role of cytokines in the regulation of glioma tumour growth and angiogenesis. Am. J. Immunol., 2005, 1, 106–113.
- Ravi, M., Subramaniyan, A. and Balasubramanian, H., Cancer cytokines and the relevance of 3D cultures for studying those implicated in human cancers. J. Cell. Biochem., 2017, doi:10.1002/ jcb.25970
Abstract Views: 10
PDF Views: 1