Open Access Subscription Access
Understanding Sea Ice Melting Via Functional Data Analysis
We have addressed the problem of sea ice extent (SIE) melting for Arctic and Southern Ocean. The ‘satellite passive microwave remote sensing data’ for daily SIE over a year has been considered as a smooth continuous function, called functional data. The analysis of the mean function of SIE over the different year-blocks and 95% bootstrap confidence bands for Arctic Ocean shows a statistically significant drop in SIE. Additional evidence of SIE melting in the Arctic Ocean is provided through phase plane analysis. During the summer, the SIE is observed about 30% less in the current year-block than that of the first year-block.
Arctic Ocean, Bootstrap and Confidence Band, Mean Function, Sea Ice Extent, Southern Ocean.
- Ramsay, J. O. and Silverman, B. W., Functional Data Analysis, Springer, 2nd edn, 2005.
- Wang, J.-L., Chiou, J.-M. and Müller, H.-G., Functional data analysis. Ann. Rev. Stat. Appl., 2016, 3, 257–295.
- Ramsay, J. O. and Silverman, B. W., Applied Functional Data Analysis: Methods and Case Studies, Springer, 2002, 2nd edn.
- Parkinson, C. L., Cavalieri, D. J., Gloersen, P., Zwally, H. J. and Comiso, J. C., Arctic sea ice extents, areas, and trends 1978–1996. J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, 1999, 104, 20837–20856.
- Johannessen, O. M., Shalina, E. V. and Miles, M. W., Satellite evidence for an Arctic sea ice cover in transformation. Science, 1999, 286, 1937–1939.
- Comiso, J. C., A rapidly declining perennial sea ice cover in the Arctic. Geophys. Res. Lett., 2002, 29(20), 17-1–17-4.
- Stroeve, J., Holland, M. M., Meier, W., Scambos, T. and Serreze, M. C., Arctic sea ice decline: faster than forecast. Geophys. Res. Lett., 2007, 34(9), 1–5.
- Comiso, J. C., Parkinson, C. L., Gersten, R. and Stock, L., Accelerated decline in the Arctic sea ice cover. Geophys. Res. Lett., 2008, 35(1), 1–5.
- Vihma, T., Effects of Arctic Sea ice decline on weather and climate: a review. Surv. Geophys., 2014, 35(5), 1175–1214.
- Josefino, C. C., Global changes in the sea ice cover and associated surface temperature changes. ISPRS – international archives of the photogrammetry. Remote Sensing Spatial Infor. Sci., 2016, XLIB8, 469–479.
- Ramsay, J. O., Wickham, H., Graves, S. and Hooker, G., Functional Data Analysis, 2014, R package v 2.4.4.
- Efron, B. and Tibshirani, R. J., An Introduction to the Bootstrap, CRC Press, 1st edn, 1994.
Abstract Views: 31
PDF Views: 1