Open Access Subscription Access
Marker to Authenticate Eurycoma Longifolia (Tongkat Ali) Containing Aphrodisiac Herbal Products
The benefits of Eurycoma longifolia (Tongkat Ali, TA) for its aphrodisiac capabilities are well known and many products are marketed worldwide. Due to its popularity, the plant is being abused for promoting fake products. Therefore, there is a need for better testing of the markers required by authorities and responsible manufacturers. A low-molecular-weight protein has been studied for developing it as a testing marker. Two dimensional electrophoresis (2DE) (four spots were observed) was used for positive detection of proteins in an aqueous extract of TA root and the pronounced separation of a Coomassie-stained spot, subsequently referred to as Marker A. Consecutive chromatographic separations of the aqueous extract of TA led to the isolation of pure protein from Marker A. When this marker was used to test 46 TA-based products randomly selected from markets worldwide, in 20 of them, the results were found to be comparable to those obtained using the organic eurycomanone marker. The ranking of products from the highest quantity to the lowest observed to be ordered differently if compared for both markers. This is an expected outcome because Marker A was measured for its protein content and eurycomanone for its organic molecule. Marker A detection using 2DE is shown to be a useful tool to test products supplemented with E. longifolia root.
Authentication, Electrophoresis, Eurycoma Longifolia, Herbal Products, Markers.
- Pan, Y., Tiong, K. H., Abd-Rashid, B. A., Ismail, Z., Ismail, R., Mak, J. W. and Ong, C. E., Effect of eurycomanone on cytochrome P450 isoforms CYP1A2, CYP2A6, CYP2C8, CYP2C9, CYP2C19, CYP2E1 and CYP3A4 in vitro. J. Nat. Med., 2014, 68(2), 402–406.
- Kumaresan, S. and Sarmidi, M. R., A preliminary study into the effect of processing on Eurycoma longifolia water extract yield. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Chemical and Bioprocess Engineering, UMS, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, 2003.
- Mohd Effendy, N., Mohamed, N., Muhammad, N., Naina Mohamad, I. and Shuid, A. N., Eurycoma longifolia: medicinal plant in the prevention and treatment of male osteoporosis due to androgen deficiency. Evid. Based Complement. Altern. Med., 2012: art no. 125761.
- Tambi, M. I. B. M., Imran, M. K. and Henkel, R. R., Standardised water-soluble extract of Eurycoma longifolia, Tongkat Ali, as testosterone booster for managing men with late-onset hypogonadism? Andrologia, 2012, 44, 226–230.
- Govindaraghavan, S. and Sucher, N. J., Quality assessment of medicinal herbs and their extracts: criteria and prerequisites for consistent safety and efficacy of herbal medicines. Epilepsy Behav., 2015, 52, 363–371.
- Norhidayah, A., Vejayan, J. and Yusoff, M. M., Detection and quantification of eurycomanone levels in Tongkat Ali herbal products. J. Appl. Sci., 2015, 15(7), 999–1005.
- Low, B. S., Choi, S. B., Wahab, H. A., Das, P. K. and Chan, K. L., Eurycomanone, the major quassinoid in Eurycoma longifolia root extract increases spermatogenesis by inhibiting the activity of phosphodiesterase and aromatase in steroidogenesis. J. Ethnopharmacol., 2013, 149(1), 201–207.
- Sambandan, T. G., Rha, C., Kadir, A. A., Aminudim, N. and Saad, J. M., Bioactive fraction of Eurycoma longifolia. Government of Malaysia and Massachusetts Institute of Technology. US Patent 7,132,117, 2006.
- Vejayan, J., Iman, V., Foong, S. L. and Ibrahim, H., Protein markers useful in authenticating Eurycoma longifolia contained herbal aphrodisiac products. Malay. J. Sci., 2013, 32(1), 15–23.
- Laemmli, U. K. and Favre, M., Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature, 1970, 227(5259), 680–685.
- Asiah, O., Nurhanan, M. Y. and Ilham, A. M., Determination of bioactive peptide (4.3 kDa) as an aphrodisiac marker in six Malaysian plants. J. Trop. For. Sci., 2007, 19(1), 61–63.
- Chen, C. K., Mohamad, W. M. Z. W., Ooi, F. K., Ismail, S. B., Abdullah, M. R. and George, A., Supplementation of Eurycoma Longifolia Jack extract for 6 weeks does not affect urinary testosterone: epitestosterone ratio, liver and renal functions in male recreational athletes. Int. J. Prev. Med., 2014, 5(6), 728–733.
- Ismail, S. B., Wan Mohammad, W. M. Z., George, A., Nik Hussain, N. H., Musthapa Kamal, Z. M., and Liske, E., Randomized clinical trial on the use of PHYSTA freeze-dried water extract of Eurycoma longifolia for the improvement of quality of life and sexual well-being in men. Evid. Based Complement. Altern. Med., 2012, 2012, 429268.
- Scavone, C. et al., Efficacy and safety profile of diclofenac/cyclodextrin and progesterone/cyclodextrin formulations: a review of the literature data. Drugs R&D, 2016, 16(2), 129–140.
- Golberg, H. A. and Warner, K. J., The staining of acidic proteins on polyacrylamide gels: enhanced sensitivity and stability of ‘Stains-all’ staining in combination with silver nitrate. Anal. Biochem., 1997, 251, 227–233.
- Moller, H. J. and Poulsen, J. H., Staining of glycoproteins/proteoglycans on SDS-gels. In The Protein Protocols Handbook (ed. Walker, J. M.), Springer Protocols Handbook. Springer International Publishing, Switzerland AG, 2009, pp. 569–574.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. US National Library of Medicine, Home – Protein – Protein Database, NCBI, 2018; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/protein (accessed on 19 February 2018).
- Chelliah, S., Kwon, C. K., Annamalah, S. and Munusamy, J., Does marketing mix still relevant? A study on herbal coffee in Malaysia. Int. J. Manage Innov., Taipei, 2013, 5(1), 31–45.
- Vimala, S. (ed.), Malaysian Herbal Heritage, Forest Research Institute Malaysia, 2013, pp. 60–61.
- Kevin Yi-Lwern Yap, Sui Yung Chan, Yew Weng Chan, and Chu Sing Lim., Overview on the analytical tools for quality control of natural product-based supplements: a case study of Ginseng. Assay Drug Dev. Technol., 2006, 3(6), 683–699.
- Furth, P. and Cox, D., Spice market expands. Food Technol., 2004, 58, 30.
- Marieschi, M., Torelli, A., Poli, F., Sacchetti, G. and Bruni, R., RAPD-based method for the quality control of Mediterranean oregano and its contribution to pharmacognostic techniques. J. Agric. Food Chem., 2009, 57(5), 835–1840.
- Spink, J. and Moyer, D. C., Understanding and combating food fraud. Food Technol., 2013, 67(1), 30–35.
- Talbott, S. M., Talbott, J. A., George, A. and Pugh, M., Effect of Tongkat Ali on stress hormones and psychological mood state in moderately stressed subjects. J. Int. Soc. Sports Nutr., 2013, 10(1), 28.
- Fleshner, N., Harvey, M., Adomat, H., Wood, C., Eberding, A., Hersey, K. and Guns, E., Evidence for contamination of herbal erectile dysfunction products with phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors. J. Urol., 2005, 174(2), 636–641.
- Gratz, S. R., Flurer, C. L. and Wolnik, K. A., Analysis of undeclared synthetic phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors in dietary supplements and herbal matrices by LC–ESI–MS and LC–UV. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal., 2004, 36(3), 525–533.
- Liang, Q., Qu, J., Luo, G. and Wang, Y., Rapid and reliable determination of illegal adulterant in herbal medicines and dietary supplements by LC/MS/MS. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal., 2006, 40(2), 305–311.
- Osman, R., Saim, N., Saaid, M. and Zaini, N. N., An experimental design method for the extraction of eurycomanone from Tongkat Ali (Eurycoma longifolia) roots using pressurised liquid extraction (PLE). Malay. J. Anal. Sci., 2016, 20(2), 342–350.
- Westermeir, R., 2D gel-based proteomics: there’s life in the old dog yet. Arch. Physiol. Biochem., 2016, 122(5), 236–237.
Abstract Views: 12
PDF Views: 1