Open Access Subscription Access
Rehabilitation Device Supporting Active and Passive Upper Limb Exercises
This article presents a mechatronic solution for rehabilitation devices supporting active and passive exercises in persons with motor dysfunctions of the upper limbs in the area of the elbow and shoulder joints. A planar positioner integrated with original software and a control system, served as the basis for creating the present solution. Bellman’s programming method was applied to optimize the motion trajectory of the planar positioner along with the upper limb undergoing rehabilitation. The design of the planar coordinate positioner and the components of the system for supporting a therapy conducted by a rehabilitation specialist are presented.
Mechatronics, Positioner, Rehabilitation, Upper Limb.
- Kisner, C., Kolby, L. A. and Borstad, J., Therapeutic Exercise: Foundations and Technique, F.A. Davis Company, Philadelphia, 2018.
- Loureiro, R. C., Harwin, W. S., Nagai, K. and Johnson, M., Advances in upper limb stroke rehabilitation: a technology push. Med. Biol. Eng. Comp., 2011, 49(10), 1103–1118.
- Cifu, D. X. and Lew, H. L., Braddom’s Rehabilitation Care. A Clinical Handbook, Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2017.
- Jin, X. J., Jun, D. I., Jin, X., Park, S., Park, J. O and Ko, S. Y., Workspace analysis of upper limb for a planar cable-driven parallel robots toward upper limb rehabilitation. In Control, Automation and Systems (ICCAS), 14th International Conference on IEEE, Seoul, South Korea, 2014, pp. 352–356.
- Park, J. H., Lee, K. S., Jeon, K. H., Kim, D. H. and Park, H. S., Low cost and light-weight multi-DOF exoskeleton for comprehensive upper limb rehabilitation. In Ubiquitous Robots and Ambient Intelligence (URAI), 11th International Conference on IEEE, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2014, pp. 138–139.
- Kaewboon, W., Phukpattaranont, P. and Limsakul, C., Upper limbs rehabilitation system for stroke patient with biofeedback and force. In Biomedical Engineering International Conference (BMEiCON), 6th International Conference on, IEEE, Amphur Muang, Krabi, Thailand, 2013, pp. 1–5.
- Trochimczuk, R. and Kuzmierowski, T., Kinematic analysis of CPM machine supporting to rehabilitation process after surgical knee arthroscopy and arthroplasty. Int. J. Appl. Mech. Eng., 2014, 19(4), 841–848.
- O’Driscoll, S. W. and Giori, N. J., Continuous passive motion (CPM): theory and principles of clinical application. J. Rehab. Res. Dev., 2000, 37(2), 179–188.
- Saringer, J., Engineering aspect of the design and construction of continuous passive motion device for humans. Chapter in monography: Salter R., Continuous Passive Motion: A Biological Concept for the Healing and Regeneration of Articular Cartilage, Ligaments, and Tendons: From Origination to Research to Clinical, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1993.
- Maxey, L. and Magnusson, J., Rehabilitation for the Postsurgical Orthopaedic Patients, Elsevier, 2013.
- Lee, Y. K., Design of exoskeleton robotic hand/arm system for upper limbs rehabilitation considering mobility and portability. In Ubiquitous Robots and Ambient Intelligence (URAI), 11th International Conference on IEEE, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2014, pp. 540–544.
- Pignolo, L., Dolce, G., Basta, G., Lucca, L. F., Serra, S. and Sannita, W. G., Upper limb rehabilitation after stroke: Aramis a ‘robomechatronic’ innovative approach and prototype. In Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics (BioRob), 4th International Conference on, IEEE, RAS & EMBS, Roma, Italy, 2012, pp. 1410–1413.
- Lo, A. C. et al., Robot-assisted therapy for long-term upper-limb impairment after stroke. New Engl. J. Med., 2010, 362, 1772– 1783.
- Karpovich, S. E., Zarskij, W. W., Ljaszuk, J. F. and Mezynskij, J. M., Precise coordinate systems on the base direct drive motor. Planar TM, Minsk, Belarus, 2001 (in Russian).
- Huscio, T. and Falkowski, K., Modeling of magnetic attraction force of electromagnetic module in a relative base-air-gapabsolute base system. Solid State Phenomena, Trans Tech Publications, Zuerich, 2009.
- Bellman, R., The theory of dynamic programming. Bull. Am. Math. Soc., 1954, 60(6), 503–515.
- Kiwerski, J., General physiotherapy. PZWL Warszawa, 2012 (in Polish).
- Kwolek, A., Medical rehabilitation. T1-2. Wydaw. Medyczne Urban i Partner Wrocław, 2003 (in Polish).
- Garrison, S. J., Foundations of rehabilitation and physical medicine. PZWL, Warszawa, 1997 (in Polish).
- Zembaty, A. et al., Kinesitherapy. T.1-2. Kasper, Krakow, 2002 (in Polish).
Abstract Views: 23
PDF Views: 2