Open Access Subscription Access
Embedded Processor based System Design: A Brief Overview
With the technological developments in the advent of microprocessors, the embedded systems have become an everyday reality that allowed single chip processors to control and monitor the industrial process independently. The embedded systems are more flexible, economical, and easier to design and upgrade. This paper describes general aspects of embedded systems, analyzes their status and future market trends. This also explains the present design trends with difference between embedded processor and desktop processor. Finally, the application of embedded processor in the industrial process control has been demonstrated in the paper.
- Hennessy J. The Future of Systems Research. Computer. 1999 Aug; 27–33.
- Vahid F, Givargis T. Embedded system design: A unified hardware/software approach. Department of Computer Science and Engineering University of California; 1999.
- Cotofana S, Wong S, Vassiliadis S. Embedded Processors: Characteristics and Trends.
- Blaauw GA, Brooks FP. Computer Architecture: Concepts and Evolution. Addison- Wesley; 1997.
- Hauser J, Wawrzynek J. Garp: A MIPS Processor with a Reconfigurable Coprocessor. Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium of Field-Programmable Custom Computing Machines; 1997 Apr. p. 24–33.
- DeHon A. DPGA-coupled microprocessors: Commodity ICs for the early 21st century. Proceedings of the IEEE Workshop on FPGAs for Custom Computing Machines; 1997 Apr. p. 31–9.
- Wittig RD, Chow P. OneChip: An FPGA Processor with Reconfigurable Logic. Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on FPGAs for Custom Computing Machines; 1996 Apr. p. 126–35.
- Razdan R, Smith MD. A High-Performance Microarchitecture with hardware programmable Functional Units. Proceedings of the 27th Annual International Symposium on Microarchitecture; 1994 Nov. p. 172– 80.
- Cronquist D, Franklin P, Fisher C, Figueroa M, Ebeling C. Architecture Design of Reconfigurable Pipelined Datapaths. Proceedings of the 20th Anniversary Conference on Advanced Research in VLSI; 1999 Mar. p. 23–40.
- Vassiliadis S, Wong S, Cotofana S. The MOLEN rm-coded Processor. Tech Rep. 2001; 1:68340–4.
- Vassiliadis S, Hakkennes E, Wong S, Pechanek G. The Sum-Absolute-Difference Motion Estimation Accelerator. Proceedings of the 24th Euromicro Conference; 1998 Aug.
- Wong S, Cotofana S, Vassiliadis S. General-Purpose Processor Huffman Encoding Extension. Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Technology: Coding and Computing; 2000 Mar. p. 158–63.
- Wong S, Cotofana S, Vassiliadis S. Coarse Reconfiguration Multimedia Unit Extension. Proceedings of the 9th Eurommicro Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Processing (PDP2001); 2001 Feb; p. 235–42.
Abstract Views: 126
PDF Views: 59