Open Access Subscription Access
Fly Ash Characterization and Prediction of Fly Ash and CO2 Removal Efficiencies for Indian Wet ESP
This article reports on the characterization of fly ash collected from the wet electrostatic precipitator (WESP) installed as air pollution control devise to an Indian coal fired thermal power plant. The samples were collected from various points such as the inlet and the outlet of WESP as well as from the settling tank of collected ash slurry. The characterization includes various analyses such as particle size distribution, Brauner-Emmette-Teller (BET) surface area and pore volume analysis, Fourier Transform Infra Red (FTIR) Spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction (XRD), Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) analysis and measuring the pH of fly ash samples collected from the various sources in distilled water. Finally, separate correlations were developed in order to predict the fly ash and CO2 removal efficiencies by the WESP as a function of different system variables by multiple non-linear regression analysis. The predicted values were in excellent agreement with the measured values.
Characterization, Fly Ash, Fly Ash and CO2 Removal, Wet ESP.
- Singh BK, Rawat NS. Characterization of coal flyash by FTIR, XRD and SEM. Indian Journal of Engineering and Materials Sciences. 1995; 2:241–4.
- Panias D, Giannopoulou IP. Development of Inorganic polymeric materials based on fired coal fly ash. Acta Metallurgica Slovaca. 2006; 12:321–7.
- Sarkar A, Rano R, Udaybhanu G, Basu AK. A comprehensive characterization of fly ash from a thermal powerplant in Eastern India. Fuel Processing Technology. 2006; 87:259–77.
- Celik O, Damct E, Piskin S. Characterization of fly ash and it effects on the compressive strength properties of Portland cement. Indian Journal of Engineering and Materials Sciences. 2008; 15:433–40.
- Jaworek A, Balachandran W, Krupa A, Kulon J, Lackowski M. Wet Electroscrubbers for State of the Art Gas Cleaning. Environmental Science and Technology. 2006; 40(20):6197–207.
- Saiyasitpanich P, Keener TC, Khang S-J, Lu M. Removal of diesel particulate matter (DPM) in a tubular wet electrostatic precipitator. Journal of Electrostatics. 2007; 65:618–24.
- Bologa A, Paur HR, Seifert H, Wascher T, Woletz K. Novel wet electrostatic precipitator for collection of fine aerosol. Journal of Electrostatics. 2009; 67:150–3.
- Chai M, Lu M, Keener T, Khang SJ, Chaiwatpongsakorn C, Tisch J. Using an improved electrostatic precipitator for poultry dust removal. Journal of Electrostatics. 2009; 67:870–5.
- Carotenuto C, Natale FD, Lancia A. Wet electrostatic scrubbers for the abatement of submicronic particulate. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2010; 165:35–45.
- Lin G-Y, Tsai C-J, Chen S-C, Chen T-M, Li S-N. An Efficient Single-Stage Wet Electrostatic Precipitator for Fine and Nanosized Particle Control. Aerosol Science and Technology. 2010; 44:38–45.
- Kim H-J, Han B, Kim Y-J, Yoa S-J. Characteristics of an electrostatic precipitator for submicron particles using non-metallic electrodes and collection plates. Journal of Aerosol Science. 2010a; 41:987–97.
- Kim J-H, Lee H-S, Kim H-H, Ogata A. Electrospray with electrostatic precipitator enhances fine particles collection efficiency. Journal of Electrostatics. 2010b; 68:305–10.
- Dey L. Venkataraman C. A Wet Electrostatic Precipitator (WESP) for Soft Nanoparticle Collection. Aerosol Science and Technology. 2012; 46(7):750–9.
- Addio LD, DiNatale F, Carotenuto C, Balachandran W, Lancian A. A lab-scale system to study submicron particles removal in wet electrostatic scrubbers. Chemical Engineering Science. 2013; 97:176–85.
- Kim H, Han B, Woo C, Kim Y, Ono R, Oda T. Performance evaluation of dry and wet electrostatic precipitators used in an oxygen-pulverized coal combustion and a CO2 capture and storage pilot plant. Journal of Aerosol Science. 2014; 77:116–26.
- Najafabadi MM, Tabrizi HB, Aramesh A, Ehteram MA. Effects of geometric parameters and electric indexes on performance of a vertical wet electrostatic precipitator. Journal of Electrostatics. 2014; 72:402–11.
- Chen T-M, Tsai C-J, Yan S-Y, Li S-N. An efficient wet electrostatic precipitator for removing nanoparticles, submicron and micron-sized particles. Separation and Purification Technology. 2014; 136:27–35.
Abstract Views: 145
PDF Views: 70