Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Shifting Consumer Perception towards Sharing Economy: Analysis of Factors Involved
The activity of collaborative consumption has rocked the market of traditional consumerism. With the proliferation of the digital platform, more and more people are shifting to internet based services. Consumers are looking for ways in which they can share, swap, trade or rent goods and services. This study is focussed on the demand side of the sharing economy model which aims to identify the factors that make a consumer choose and prefer sharing option over traditional purchasing option. After identifying the factors, a survey is conducted (in Pune and Mumbai) to check the viability of these factors.
- Aquise, X.D. (2014), The Rise of Collaborative Consumption and the Experience Economy, The Guardian, January.
- Bardhi, F. and G.M. Eckhardt (2012), Access-Based Consumption: The Case of Car Sharing, Journal of Consumer Research, 39: 881-898.
- ---------- (2017), Liquid Consumption, Journal of Consumer Research, 44(3): 582-597.
- Basselier, R., G. Langenus and L. Walravens (2018), The Rise of the Sharing Economy, NBB Economic Review, III: 57-78, September.
- Belk, R. (2007), Why Not Share Rather Than Own?, SAGE Journals, 611(1): 126-140.
- ---------- (2013), You are What You Can Access: Sharing and Collaborative, Journal of Business Research, 67(8): 1595 - 1600.
- Böcker, Lars and Toon Meelen (2017), Sharing for People, Planet or Profit? Analysing Motivations for Intended Sharing Economy Participation, Environmental Innovation and Societal Transitions, 23: 28-39.
- Botsman, R. and R. Rogers (2010), What's Mine is Yours: How Collaborative Consumption is Changing the Way We Live, Harper Collins.
- BSR (2016), An Inclusive Sharing Economy: Unlocking Business Opportunities to Support LowIncome and Underserved Communities Working Paper, September.
- Dervojeda, et. al. (2013), The Sharing Economy: Accessibility Based Business Models for Peer-toPeer Markets, European Comission, September.
- Ernst and Young LLP (2015), The Rise of the Sharing Economy: The Indian Landscape, NASSCOM, E and Y.
- Filippas, A., J.J. Horton and R.J. Zeckhauser (2019), Owning, Using and Renting: Some Simple Economics of the "Sharing Economy", Management Science, 66(9): 4152–4182.
- Frenken, K. and J. Schor (2017), Putting the Sharing Economy into Perspective, Environmental Innovation and Societal Transitions, 23(June): 3-10.
- Guttentag, D. (2015), Airbnb: Disruptive Innovation and the Rise of an Informal Tourism Accommodation Sector, Current Issues in Tourism, Taylor and Francis.
- Hamari, et. al. (2015), The Sharing Economy: Why People Participate in Collaborative Consumption, Journal of the Association For Information Science and Technology, 67(9): 2047-2059.
- Haze´e, S., C. Delcourt and Y. Vaerenbergh (2017), Burdens of Access: Understanding Customer Barriers and Barrier-Attenuating Practices in Access-Based Services, Journal of Service Research, 20(4): 441-456.
- India Today web desk (2019), No Uber, Ola, Autos: Transport Strike Brings Delhi-NCR to a Halt, Twitter Turns Complaint Book, September, Retrieved from India Today: https://www.indiatoday.in/trending-news/story/no-uber-ola-autos-transport-strike-bringsdelhincr-to-a-halt-twitter-turns-complaint-book-1600784-2019-09-19
- Johal, S. and N. Zon (2015), Policymaking for the Sharing Economy: Beyond Whack-a-Mole, Mowat Centre, University of Toronto.
- Kaplan, A. and M. Haenlein (2010), Users of the World, Unite! The Challenges and Opprtyunities of Social Media, Business Horizons, 23(1): 59-68.
- Kapur, A. (2018), Sharing Economy Platforms | A Case of AirBnB, February, Retrieved from www.vedatya.ac.in: https://www.vedatya.ac.in/research-blog/2018/2/18/sharing-economyplatformsa-case-of-airbnb
- Kumar, V., A. Lahiri and O.B. Dogan (2017), A Strategic Framework for a Profitable Business Model in the Sharing Economy, Industrial Marketing Management.
- Mastercard (2016), The Sharing Economy: Understanding the Opportunities for Growth, newsroom.mastercard.com.
- Miller, D. (2019), The Sharing Economy and How It Is Changing Industries, Small Business, June 2019.
- Möhlmann, M. (2015), Collaborative Consumption: Determinants of Satisfaction and the Likelihood of Using a Sharing Economy Option Again, Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 14(3): 193-207.
- National Training Fund o.p.s. (2017), Impact of Shared Economy on a Position of Employees and Proposed Changes in Legislatio, Narodni vzdelavic fond.
- Ola Blog (2016), Ola Auto at flat Rs 29 for 4 km. #PocketAuto, Retrieved from Blog, Olacabs: https://blog.olacabs.com/ola-auto-at-flat-rs-29-for-4-km-pocketauto-3/
- Ozanne, L.K. and P.W. Ballantine (2010), Sharing as a form of Anti‐consumption? An Examination of Toy Library Users, Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 9(6): 485-498.
- Press Trust of India (2018), Ola Uber Drivers on Indefinite Strike from Today Over Low Payments, March 19, Retrieved from NDTV: https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/ola-uber-drivers-to-go-on-indefinite-strike-from-midnight-over-low-payments-1825488
- Prichard, S. (2018), Unleashing Passion and Performance in Younger Generations, October 22, Retrieved from https://www.skipprichard.com: https://www.skipprichard.com/unleashingpassionand-performance-in-younger-generations/
- PwC (2015), Sharing or Paring? Growth of the Sharing Economy, PwC.
- Ramirez, O.M. (2016), The “Sharing” Economy: Issues Facing Platforms, Participants and Regulators, Federal Trade Commission.
- Ranzini, G., G. Newlands, G. Anselmi, A. Andreotti, T. Eichhorn, M. Etter,. . . and C. Lutz (2017), Millennials and the Sharing Economy: European Perspectives, Available at SSRN 3061704.
- Schneider, H. (2017), Creative Destruction and the Sharing Economy, New Thinking In Political Economy.
- Schor, J.B. and C.J. Fitzmaurice (2015), Collaborating and Connecting: the Emergence of the Sharing Economy, In J. Thgersen, and L.A. Reisch, Handbook of Research on Sustainable Consumption, pp. 410-415. Edward Elgar.
- Schumpeter, J.A. (1983), Theory of Economic Development, New York: Routledge.
- Suresh, M. (2019), Ride Sharing Goes Beyond Infopark: Platforms like Quick Ride and individual initiatives prove to be useful, economical, Retrieved from http://www.newindianexpress.com: http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/kochi/2019/jul/08/ride-sharing-goes-beyondinfopark2000796.html
- Sweezy, P. (1943), Professor Schumpeter's Theory of Innovation, The Review of Economics and Statistics, 25(1): 93-96.
- Tandon, S. and V. Bansal (2019), The Loneliness of the Delivery Man, September 18, Retrieved from livemint.com: https://www.livemint.com/news/india/inside-the-lives-of-food-delivery-riders1568800031736.html
- Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (2015), The Indian Telecom Services Performance Indicators, Delhi: TRAI.
- The Hindu (2016), Maharashta Tops List of Internet Subscribers in India, November 20, Retrieved from The Hindu Business Line: https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/info-tech/maharashtratopslist-of-internet-subscribers-in-india/article9367201.ece
- The Official Norwegian Report (2017), The Sharing Economy, The Official Norwegian Report, Uber Blog (2018), Uber-Auto, Retrieved from www.uber.com: https://www.uber.com/enIN/blog/pune/%E0%A4%86%E0%A4%B2%E0%A4%BE-%E0%A4%B0%E0%A5%87-%E0%A4%86%E0%A4%B2%E0%A4%BE-uber-auto-%E0%A4%86%E0%A4%B2%E0%A4%BE/
- Walsh, B. (2011), Today's Smart Choice: Don't Own Share, Time, March.
- World Economic Forum (2016), Understanding the Sharing Economy: System Initiative on Environment and Natural Resource Security, World Economic Forum.
- World Economic Forum and PwC (2017), Collaboration in Cities: From Sharing to Sharing Economy, World Economic Forum.
- Yaraghi and Ravi (2017), The Current and Future State of the Sharing Economy, Brookings India IMPACT Series.
- Zervas, G., D. Proserpio and J.W. Byers (2017), The Rise of the Sharing Economy: Estimating the Impact of Airbnb on the Hotel Industry, Journal of Marketing Research, 54(6): 687-705.
Abstract Views: 259
PDF Views: 0