Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Integrated Marketing Communication Through Strategic Consistency:An Innovative Proposal for Future Marketing
Much has been said so far about the integrated management of the tools that make up the communication mix (Integrated Marketing Communication). But most of the related studies are focused on analyzing economic-financial effect of the said management on companies and little effort has been devoted to study the effectiveness of an integrated marketing campaign in this regard. Starting from the strategic consistency as a way of integration, this paper considers the effects that an integrated campaign can have on the processing of information and on the evaluations that the consumer makes of the campaign.
- Aaker, J.L. and A.Y. Lee (2001), I Seek Pleasures and “We” Avoid Pains: The Role of SelfRegulatory Goals in Information Processing and Persuasion, Journal of Consumer Research, 28(1): 33-49.
- Anderson, N.H. (1981), Foundations of Information Integration Theory, San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Appleton-Knapp, S.L., R.A. Bjork and T.D. Wickens (2005), Examining the Spacing Effect in Advertising: Encoding Variability, Retrieval Processes, and their Interaction, Journal of Consumer Research, 32(2): 266-276.
- Beattie, A.E. and A.A. Mitchell (1985), The Relationship between Advertising Recall and Persuasion: An Experimental Investigation, En L.F. Alwitt and A.A. Mitchell (Eds.), Psychological Processes and Advertising Effects (pp. 129-155), Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Becker-Olsen, K.L. (2003), And Now, a Word of our Sponsor, A Look at the Effects of Sponsored Content and Banner Advertising, Journal of Advertising, 32(2): 17-32.
- Biehal, G. and D. Chakravarti (1982), Information Presentation Format and task Goals as Determinants of Consumers´ Memory-Retrieval and Choice Processes, Journal of Consumer Research, 10(1): 431-442.
- Brock, T.C., S.M. Albert, and L.A. Becker (1970), Familiarity, Utility, and Supportiveness as Determinants of Information Receptivity, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 14(4): 292-301.
- Campbell, M.C. and K.L. Keller (2003), Brand Familiarity and Advertising Repetition Effects, Journal of Consumer Research, 30(2): 292-304.
- Caruana, A., K. Krentler and M. Belch (2006), IMC: Time to Move Forward, 35th EMAC Conference, 23-26 May, Athens (Greece), Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Chang, Y. and E. Thorson (2004), Television and Web Advertising Synergies, Journal of Advertising, 33(2): 75-84.
- Chattopadhyay, A. and P. Nedungadi (1992), Does Attitude Toward the Ad Endure? The Moderating Effects of Attention and Delay, Journal of Consumer Research, 19(1): 26-31.
- Cialdini, R.B., M.R. Trost, and J.T. Newsom (1995), Preference for Consistency: The Development of a Valid Measure and the Discovery of Surprising Behavioral Implications, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 69(2): 318-328.
- Cornelissen, J.P., L.T. Christensen, and P. Vijn (2006), Understanding the Development and Diffusion of Integrated Marketing Communications (NRG Working Paper Series No. 06-02), Nyenrode Business Unniversiteit, Nyenrode Research Group, Disponible en: http://www.nyenrode.nl/facultyandresearch/nri/Documents/Working%20papers/06-02.pdf
- Crimmins, J. and M. Horn (1996), Sponsorship: From Management Ego Trip to Marketing Success, Journal of Advertising Research, 36(4): 11-21.
- Crowder, R.G. (1976), Principles of Learning and Memory, Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Dewhirst, T. and B. Davis (2005), Brand Strategy and Integrated Marketing Communication (IMC), A Case Study of Player’s Cigarette Brand Marketing, Journal of Advertising, 34(4): 81-92.
- Duncan, T. and C. Caywood (1996), The Concept, Process, and Evolution of Integrated Marketing Communications, in E. Thorson and J. Moore (Eds.), Integrated Communication: Synergy of Persuasive Voices (pp. xiv), Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Earlbaum.
- Duncan, T. and S. Everett (1993), Client Perceptions of Integrated Marketing Communications, Journal of Advertising Research, 33(3): 30-39.
- Duncan, T. and S.E. Moriarty (1998), A Communication-Based Marketing Model for Managing Relationships, Journal of Advertising Research, 62(2): 1-13.
- Eagle, L. and P.J. Kitchen (2000), IMC, Brand Communications, and Corporate Cultures, Client/Advertising Agency Co-ordination and Cohesion, European Journal of Marketing, 34(5/6): 667-686.
- Eagle, L., P. Kitchen, K. Hyde, W. Fourie and M. Padisetti (1999), Perceptions of Integrated Marketing Communications among Marketers and Ad Agency Executives in New Zealand, International Journal of Advertising, 18(1): 89-119.
- Eagle, L., P.J. Kitchen and S. Bulmer (2007), Insights into Interpreting Integrated Marketing Communications, European Journal of Marketing, 41(7/8): 956-970.
- Edell, J. and K.L. Keller (1989), The Information Processing of Coordinated Media Campaigns, Journal of Marketing Research, 26(2): 149-163.
- Heckler, S.E. and T.L. Childers (1992), The Role of Expectancy and Relevancy in Memory for Verbal and Visual Information: What is Incongruency?, Journal of Consumer Research, 18(4): 475-492.
- Hwan, D. and C. Wook (2007), Conceptualization and Measurement of Multidimensionality of Integrated Marketing Communications, Journal of Advertising Research, 47(3): 22-240.
- Johar, G.V., D. Maheswaran and L.A. Peracchio (2006), MAPing the Frontiers: Theoretical Advances in Consumer Research on Memory, Affect, and Persuasion, Journal of Consumer Research, 33(1): 139-149.
- Keller, K.L. (1987), Memory Factors in Advertising: The Effect of Advertising Retrieval Cues on Brand Evaluations Journal of Consumer Research, 14(3): 316-333.
- ---------- (1993, enero), Conceptualizing, Measuring and Managing Customer-Based Brand Equity, Journal of Marketing, 57(1): 1-22.
- ---------- (2001), Mastering the Marketing Communications Mix: Micro and Macro Perspectives on Integrated Marketing Communications Programs, Journal of Marketing Management, 17(September): 819-847.
- ---------- (2003), Strategic Brand Management: Building, Measuring and Managing Brand Equity, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Kitchen, P.J. and D.E. Schultz (1999), A Multi-Country Comparison of the Drive for IMC, Journal of Advertising Research, 39(1): 21-38.
- Kitchen, P.J., J. Brignell, T. Li and G. Spickett (2004), The Emergence of IMC: A Theoretical Perspective, Journal of Advertising Research, 44(1): 19-30.
- Kliatchko, J. (2008), Revisiting the IMC Construct: A Revised Definition and Four Pillars, International Journal of Advertising, 27(1): 133-140.
- Kotler, P. and K.L. Keller (2006), Marketing Management, Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Pearson EducationPrentice Hall.
- Loda, M.D. and B. Carrick (2005), Sequence Matters: A More Effective Way to Use Advertising and Publicity, Journal of Advertising Research, 45(4): 362-372.
- MacInnis, D.J. and B. Jaworski (1989), Information Processing from Advertisements: Toward and Integrative Framework, Journal of Marketing, 53(4): 32-53.
- MacKenzie, S.B., R.J. Lutz and G.E. Belch (1986), The Role of Attitude toward the Ad as a Mediator of Advertising Effectiveness: A Test of Competing Explanations, Journal of Marketing Research, 23(2):130-143.
- Madhavaram, S., V. Badrinarayanan and K.E. McDonald (2005), Integrated Marketing Communication (IMC) and Brand Identity as Critical Components of Brand Equity Strategy, Journal of Advertising, 34(4): 69-80.
- McArthur, D.N. and T. Griffin (1997), A Marketing Management View of Integrated Marketing Communications, Journal of Advertising Research, 37(5): 19-26.
- McCullough, J.L. and T.M. Ostrom (1974), Repetition of Highly Similar Messages and Attitude Change, Journal of Applied Psychology, 59(3): 395-397.
- Melton, A. (1970), The Situation with Respect of the Spacing of Repetitions and Memory, Journal of Verbal Learning and Verbal Behavior, 9(5): 596-606.
- Meyers-Levy, J. and P. Malaviya (1999), Consumer’s Processing of Persuasive Advertisements: an Integrative Framework of Persuasion Theories, Journal of Marketing, 63(Special Issue): 45-60.
- Naik, P. and K. Raman (2003), Understanding the Impact of Synergy in Multimedia Communications, Journal of Marketing Research, 40(4): 375-388.
- Naik, P., K. Raman and R. Winer (2005), Planning Marketing-Mix Strategies in the Presence of Interaction Effects, Marketing Science, 24(1): 25-34.
- Petty, R. and J.T. Cacioppo (1986), Communication and Persuasion: Central and Peripheral Routes to Attitude Change, New York, NY: Springer-Verlag.
- Petty, R., J.T. Cacioppo and D. Schumann (1983), Central and Peripheral Routes to Advertising Effectiveness: The Moderating Role of Involvement, Journal of Consumer Research, 10(2): 135-145.
- Putrevu, S. and K.R. Lord (2003), Processing Internet Communications: A Motivation, Opportunity, and Ability Framework, Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising, 25(1): 45-59.
- Schultz, D.E. and H. Schultz (1998), Transitioning Marketing Communication into the TwentyFirst Century, Journal of Marketing Communications, 4(1): 9-26.
- Schultz, D.E. and P.J. Kitchen (1997), Integrated Marketing Communications in U.S. Advertising Agencies: An Exploratory Study, Journal of Advertising Research, 37(5): 7-17.
- Seung, J.H. (2003), Compounding Consumer Interest, Effects of Advertising Campaign Publicity on the Ability to Recall Subsequent Advertisements, Journal of Advertising, 32(4): 29-41.
- Shapiro, B.P. (1985), Rejuvenating the Marketing Mix, Harvard Business Review, 45(3): 28-34.
- Singh, S.N. and M.L. Rothschild (1983), Recognition as a Measure of Learning from Television Commercials, Journal of Marketing Research, 20(3): 235-247.
- Singh, S.N., S. Mishra, N. Bendapudi and D. Linville (1994), Enhancing Memory of Television Commercials through Message Spacing, Journal of Marketing Research, 31(3): 384-392.
- Smith, T.M., S. Gopalakrishna and R. Chaterjee (2006), A Three Response Model of Integrated Marketing Communications with Dynamic Effects: Investigations at the Marketing-Sales Interface, Journal of Marketing Research, 43(4): 564-579.
- Sneath, J., R. Finney and A.G. Close (2005), An IMC Approach to Event Marketing: the Effects of Sponsorship and Experience on Customer Attitudes, Journal of Advertising Research, 45(4): 373-381.
- Srull, T.K. (1981), Person Memory: Some Tests of Associative Storage and Retrieval Models, Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Learning and Memory, 7(6): 440-463.
- Stammerjohan, C., C.M. Wood, Y. Chang and E. Thorson (2005), An Empirical Investigation of the Interaction between Publicity, and Previous Brand Attitudes and Knowledge, Journal of Advertising, 34(4): 55-67.
- Unnava, H.R. and R.E. Burnkrant (1991), Effects of Repeating Varied Ad Executions on Brand Name Memory, Journal of Marketing Research, 28(4): 406-416.
- Van-Raaij, F.W. (1977), Consumer Information Processing for Different Information Structures and Formats, Advances in Consumer Research, 4: 176-184.
- Wood, S.L. and J.G. Lynch (2002), Prior Knowledge and Complacency in New Product Learning, Journal of Consumer Research, 29(3): 416-426.
Abstract Views: 30
PDF Views: 1