Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Socio-economic Status of Wheelchair Users of Haryana
Disability is something that limits a person’s ability to engage in certain task or action which can be physical, mental or cognitive. In context of India 2.21 per cent population falls under disability criteria. Haryana also holding a large number of differently able persons who are looking forward for easily accessible environment and equitable opportunities. Socio-economic status of the locomotive disabled is significantly dependent on the educational level and occupation bread earner of the family and their family income. Head of the family of differently abled respondents of Haryana having education upto metric but still majority is involved in unskilled tasks. Socioeconomic status of the families with Disabled person has almost equal proportion in upper middle, lower middle and upper lower socio-economic class.
Disability, Differently abled, Socio-economic, Wheelchair user
- Abidi, J. (1999). Current status of employment of disabled people in Indian industries. AsiaP Pecific Disability Rehabilitation J., 10(2).
- Hosain, G.M.M., Atkinson, David and Underwood, Peter (2002). Impact of disability on quality life of rural disabled people in Bangladesh. J. Health, Populat. & Nutr., 20(4): 297305.
- Mohanta, M. and Reddy, M.V. (2008). Designing functional residential interior for wheelchair users. Thesis, Acharya N.G. Ranga Agriculture University Ranjedranagar, Hyderabad, India.
- Patel, S. (2007). Cause of disability among adolescent India. Indian J. Populat. Educ.,36 :16-25.
- Patel, S. (2008). An empirical study of causes of disability in India. Internet J. Epidemiol., 6(2): 1-8.
- Singh, A. (2008). Burden of disability in a Chandigarh village. Indian J. Community Medicine, 33(2) : 113-115.
- World Bank (2007). People with Disability in India: From Commitment to Outcome. Human Development Unit, South Asia Region, New Delhi, India.
- Barker, S. (1984). Housing for people with disability: A study of good poractice in four London Boroughs. Retrieved from https://disability-studies.leeds.ac.uk/wp-content/ uploads/sites/40/ library/GLAD-housing.pdf.
- Bisht, D., Sidhu, M.K. and Chhuneja, N.K. (2016). Postural analysis of female wheelchair users while performing peeling-chopping activities. 14th International Conference on Humanizing Work and Work Environment HWWE 2016. pp. 115-118 Census of India 2011. Government of India. Retrieved from http://www.censusindia.gov.in/ 2011census/C-series/c-20.html.
- Census of India (2011). Data on disability. 2013. Office of registrar general and census commissioner, India. Retrieved from http://www.censusindia.gov.in/2011 census/Disability_Data/Disability_ 2011_Data_ Release_Dec_2013_PPT%20(27.12.13).ppt.
- Census of India (2011). Disabled population. 2014. Retrieved from.
- Definition of disability under the ADA. ADA National Network: Information, Guidance and Training on American with Disability Act. Retrieved fromhttps://adata.org/faq/whatdefinitiondisability-under-ada.
- Kuppuswamy’s (2017). Socio-economic Status Scale. Available from: www.scaleupdate.weebly.com.
- Retrieved from https://www.lexico.com/definition/disability
- Retrieved from http://www.disabilityaffairs.gov.in/content/
- Retrieved from https https://www.merriam-webster.com/ dictionary/disability.
- Society for Disability and Rehabilitation Studies (2008). Employment of Person with Disabilities in Public Sector in India: Emerging Issues and Trends. Retrieved from http://planningcommission.nic.in/reports/sereport/ser/ ser_pdp1206.pdf.
- State Policies for PWDs: Haryana (2011). Retrieved from http://punarbhava.in/index.php/legal-instruments/nationalandstate-policies/state-policies-for-persons-withdisabilities/haryana.html.
- Watson, D. and Nolan, B. (2011). A social portrait of people with disabilities in Ireland. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/277104024_A_Social_Portrait_of_People_with_Disabilities_in_Ireland.
Abstract Views: 7
PDF Views: 0