Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Oral Extended Release Drug Delivery System: A Promising Approach
Oral drug delivery is the most preferred route for the various drug molecules among all other routes of drug delivery, because ease of administration which lead to better patient compliance. So, oral extended release drug delivery system becomes a very promising approach for those drugs that are given orally but having the shorter half-life and high dosing frequency. Extended release drug delivery system which reduce the dosing frequency of certain drugs by releasing the drug slowly over an extended period of time. There are various physiochemical and biological properties which affect the extended release drug delivery system. This article providing the recent literature regarding development and design of extended release tablets.
Extended Release, Extended Release Drug Delivery System, Half Life.
- Aher K B, Bhavar G B, Joshi H P, Chaudhari S R, Recent advances in compression-coated tablets as a controlled drug delivery system, Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal, 2011, 01.
- Shivakumar H G, Gowda D V, Kumar T M P, Floating controlled drug delivery systems for prolonged gastric residence: a review, Ind. J. Pharm., 2004, 38(45), 172-78.
- Sharma A, Sharma S, Jha K K, The study of salbutamol matrix tablets using different polymers as release retarding agent, The Pharma Research, 2009, 01, 15-22.
- Sharma P P, Sharma S, Khokra S L, Sahu R K, Jangde R, Singh J, Formulation, development and evaluation of sustained release matrix tablets containing salbutamol sulphate, Pharmacologyonline. 2, 2011, 1197-1203.
- Chein Y W, Oral Drug Delivery and Delivery Systems, Marcel Dekker, inc., New York, 1992, 01, 139-96.
- Ahsan M Q, Rahman M M, Jha M K, Ahmed I, Moghal M M R, Rahman M H, Development and in-vitro evaluation of sustained release matrix tablets of salbutamol sulphate using methocel K100M CR polymer, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, 2011, 02(03), 567-76.
- Modi S A, Gaikwad P D, Bankar V H, Pawar S P, Sustained release drug delivery system: A review, International Journal of Pharma. Research and Development, 2011, 02(12), 147-59.
- Murthy P N V N, Shafiullah D, Datta M, Formulation, development and evaluation of controlled release matrix tablets of guaiphenesin and salbutamol sulphate, Der Pharmacia Letter, 2011, 3(4), 325-334.
- El-halim S M A, Amin M M, Gazayerly O N E, Gawad N A A E, Salbutamol sulphate controlled release hydrophllic matrix tablets, RGUHS Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2011, 01(03), 194-200.
- Khan M G, Controlled release oral dosage forms: Some recent advances in matrix type drug delivery systems, The sciences, 2001, 1(5), 350-354.
- Ghosh A, Gupta K S, Formulation, development and in-vitro evaluation of sustained release matrix tablets of salbutamol sulphate, JPRHC, 2003, 02(03),222-27.
- Srivastav M, Prabhakar, Omray A, Extended release tablet technologies-matrix, melt granulation and multiparticulates: An overview, International Journal of Universal Pharmacy and Life Sciences, 2011, 01(02), 331-54.
- Ratial D A, Gaikwad P D, Bankar V H, Pawar S P, A review on: Sustained released technology, International Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Pharmacy, 2011, 02(06), 1701-08.
- Jayanthi B, Manna P M, Madhusudhan S, Mohanta G P, Manavalan R, Per oral extended release products-A overview, Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, 2011, 01(02), 50-55.
- Pogula M, Nazeer S, Extended release formulation, International Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2010, 02(04), 625-84.
- Jain N K, Controlled and novel drug delivery system, In progress in controlled and novel drug delivery system, C B S Publishers and Distributors, New Delhi, 2004, 01. 419-35.
- Dandagi P M, Masthiholimath V S, Patil M B, Manvi F V, Gadad A P, Sharma R, Development and evaluation of theophylline and salbutamol sulphate sustained release matrix tablets, Indian Journal of Pharm. Sci.,2005, 76(05), 598-602.
- Brahmankar D M, Jaiswal S B, A treatise of biopharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics, Vallabh Prakashan, 1995, 01, 335-55.
- Maderuelo C, Zarzuelo A, Lanao, Critical factors in the release of drugs from sustained release hydrophilic matrices, Journal of Controlled Release, 2011, 154, 2-19.
- Banker S G, Rhodes C T, Modern Pharmaceutics, Sustained and controlled release drug delivery systems, 2005, 01, 501-13.
- Robinson J R, Lee V H L, Controlled drug delivery "Fundamentals and application", Informa Healthcare, 2009, 20, 373-421.
- Verma R K, Krishna D M, Garg S, Formulation aspects in the development of osmotically controlled oral drug delivery systems, Journal of Controlled Release, 2002, 79, 7-27.
- Raizada A, Bandari A, Kumar B, Polymers in drug delivery: A review, International Journal of Pharma. Research and Development, 2010, 02(08), 9-20.
Abstract Views: 189
PDF Views: 2