Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Development and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Sustained Release Tablet using Tamarindus indica Gum
In the present work, the mucoadhesive tablet of diclofenac (as a model drug) by using Tamarindus indica fruit gum as a binder was formulated. The preliminary evaluation of Tamarindus indica gum showed that bulk density 0.50 ± 0.4 g/cm3, tapped density 0.35 ± 0.8 g/cm3 and angle of repose 280 ± 0.26. The six tablet formulation were prepared by using 0.25%, 0.50%, 0.75%, 1%, 1.25% and 1.50% w/w of Tamarindus indica gum by direct compression (F1, F2, F3, F4 and F5 respectively). Tablets were subjected for evaluation of uniformity of weight, hardness, friability, drug content uniformity, swelling behaviour, release rate study, mucoadhesive study, and tensile strength study. Formulation was studied for drug additive interaction (FTIR). F4 is found to be optimized formulation. The in-vitro drug release of F4 formulation exhibits complete release of Diclofenac Sodium with nonfiction first order release kinetic. The formulation F4 exhibited tensile strength 0.27 N with 10 hrs of mucoadhesion. From the study it can be conclude that the Tamarindus indica gum used as mucoadhesive sustained release tablet.
- Bankar GS, Neil RA: Theory and practice of industrial pharmacy.Lachman L, Liberman AH and Joseph LK.Varghese publisher Mumbai, Edition 3, 1987: 297-321.
- Malviya, R., Srivastava, P., Bansal, M., Sharma, P.K., Formulation, evaluation and comparison of sustained release matrix tablets of diclofenac sodium using tamarind gum as release modifier. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research 2010; 3(3):238-241.
- Indian Pharmacopoeia: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India, Controller of Publications, New Delhi 1996:Vol.II, A100-A111.
- Deveswaran, R., Sravani, B., Bharath, S., Basavaraj, B.V., Madhavan, V., Development of sustained release metformin hydrochloride tablets using a natural polysaccharide. Int.J. App. Pharm. 2012; 4 (2), 23-29.
- Bhardwaj TR, Kanwar M and Lal R. et al: Natural gums and modified natural gums as sustained-release carriers. Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm. 2000; 26: 1025-1038.
- Ibrahim, E., Abbas, S.A., Chemical and biological evaluation of Tamarindus indica L. growing in Sudan. Acta. Hortic. 1995; 390:51-57.
- Khanzada, S. K., Sheikh, W., Sofia, S., Kazi, T.G., Usmanghani, K., Kabir, A., and sheerazi, T.H., chemical constituents of tamarindus indica l. medicinal plant in sindh. Pak. J.Bot., 2008; 40(6): 2553-2559.
- Jana, S., Lakshman, D., Sen, K.K., Basu, S.K., Development and Evaluation of Epichlorohydrin Cross-linked Mucoadhesive Patches of Tamarind Seed Polysaccharide for Buccal Application. I.J.P.S.D.R. 2010; 2(3):193-198.
- Patel, B., Patel, P., Bhosale, A., Hardikar, S., Mutha, S., Chaulang, G., Evaluation of Tamarind Seed Polysaccharide (TSP) as a Mucoadhesive and sustained release component of nifedipine buccoadhesive tablet and Comparison with HPMC and Na CMC. Int.J. PharmTech Res. 2009; (3): 404-410.
- Ara, N., and Islam, M. M., Phytochemical screening and in vitro antibacterial activity of Tamarindus indica seeds ethanolic extract. Pakistan Journal of Pharmacology 2009; 26 (1):19-23.
- Kumar, R., Patil, S. R., Patil, M. B., Paschapur, M. S., Mahalaxmi, R., Isolation and evaluation of the emulsifying properties of tamarind seed polysaccharide on castor oil emulsion. Scholars Research Library 2010; 2 (1) 518-527.
- Munday DL, Cox PJ: Compressed xanthan and karaya gum matrices: hydration, erosion and drug release mechanisms. Int. J. Pharm. 2000; 203: 179-192.
- Korsmeyer RW, Peppas NA: Macromolecular and modeling aspects of swelling-controlled systems.
- Omidian H, Park K: Swelling agents and devices in oral drug delivery. Journal of drug delivery sciences and technology 2008; 18(2):83-93.
- Roseman TJ, Mansdorf SZ: Controlled Release Delivery Systems. Marcel Dekker, New York, 1981: 77-90.
- Ritger PL, Peppas NA: A simple equation for description of solute release II Fickian and anomalous from swellable devices. J. Control. Rel. 1987: 5: 37-42.
- Chanda R, Nath LK and Mahapatra S:Formulation Development of Oral Mucoadhesive Coated Terbutaline Sulphate Tablets Using Some Natural Materials Extracted from Edible Fruits Available in India. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 2009; 5(1): 3-12.
- Moin A, Shivakumar HG: Formulation of Sustained-Release Diltiazem Matrix Tablets Using Hydrophilic Gum Blends, Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2010; 9(3): 283-291.
- Ramteke, S., Arkhel, A., Bhumarkar, L., Formulation development and evaluation of sustained release matrix tablet of lamivudine using tamarind seed polysaccharide. Der Pharmacia Lettre 2011; 3 (4):20-28.
- Chinkering III DE, and Mothiowitz E: Defination, Mechanism and theories of bioadhesion, Bioadhesive Drug Delivery system, fundamental, Novel approaches and development, Marcel and dekker Inc 1999: 11-24.
- Khar RP, Ahuja A, and Ali J: Mucoadhesive drug delivery system. Novel drug delivery system, CBS publication: 353.
- Peppas NA, Sahlin JJ: Hydrogels as mucoadhesive and bioadhesive materials: a review. Biomaterials 1996; 17: 1553.
Abstract Views: 122
PDF Views: 2