Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Rising Trends Towards Natural Contraception: A Review
Despite many achievements in human health care in the twenty first century, population in developing countries lack regular access to affordable essential drugs. For these people, modern medicine is never likely to be a realistic treatment option. In contrast medicinal plants are widely available and affordable, even in remote areas. The cost of modern medicine is increasing by modern health technology and in many cases is inappropriate to the immediate needs of people in developing countries. This review concentrates on those recent advances in science and technology that offer possible inroads for shifting the paradigm for herb-based contraception.
Antifertility, Contraceptive, Abortification, Fabaceae, Herbs.
- Suresh Joshia, Aksha Sharmaa, Mridula Chaturvedib. Antifertility potential of some medicinal plants in males: an overview. Int. J. Pharm. Sci., 3(5); 2011: 204-217.
- Sathiyaraj K, Sivaraj A, Thirumalai T, Senthilkumar B. Ethnobotanical study of antifertility medicinal plants used by the local people in Kathiyavadi village, Vellore District, Tamilnadu, India. Asian Pacific J. Trop. Biomed., S1285-S1288: 2012.
- Alagammal M, Sakthidevi G and Mohan VR. Anti-fertility activity of whole plant extracts of Polygala rosmarinifolia Wight & Arn against male albino rats. J. Adv. Pharma. Sci., 3(1); 2013: 385-393.
- Priya G, Saravanan K, Renuka. Medicinal plants with potential antifertility activity- A review of sixteen years of herbal medicine research. Int. J. PharmTech. Res., 4(1); 201: 481-494.
- Chukwuka N Uchendu Thomas Isek. Antifertility activity of aqueous ethanolic leaf extract of Spondias mombin (Anacardiaceae) in rats. Afr. Health Sci., 8(3); 2008: 163-167.
- Jain S, Jain A, Deb L, Dutt KR, Jain DK. Evaluation of antifertility activity of Tabernaemontana divaricata (Linn) R.Br. leaves in rats. Nat Prod Res., 24(9); 2010: 855-60.
- Vijaykumar B, Sangamma I, Sharanabasappa A Saraswati B Patil Antifertility Activity of Various Extracts of Crotalaria juncea Linn. Seeds in Male Mice. Philippine J. Sci., 132 (1); 2003: 39-46.
- Sachin Jain, Gajendra Pratap Choudhary, Dinesh Kumar Jain. Pharmacological evaluation of anti-fertility activity of ethanolic extract of Jatropha gossypifolia leaf in female albino mice. Asian Pacific J Trop. Biomed., S1671-S1674; 2012.
- Shyam S Agrawal, Ashok Kumar, Sumeet Gullaiya, Vishal Dubey, Ashish Nagar, Poonam Tiwari, Parul Dhar and Varun Singh. Antifertility activity of methanolic bark extracts of Aegle marmelos (l.) in male wistar rats. DARU J. Pharma. Sci., 20; 2012: 94.
- Bhaskar, VH, Profulla, Kumar M, Balakrishnan, Balakrishnan BR, Sangameswaran. Evaluation of the anti-fertility activity of stem bark of Crataeva nurvala buch-hum. African J. Biotech., 8 (22); 2009: 6453-6456.
- Ashish Ranjan Singh, Kapil Singh, Preetam Singh Shekhawat. Spermicidal activity and antifertility activity of ethanolic extract of Withania somnifera in male albino rats. Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res., 21(2); 2013: 227-232.
- Abu Adakole Hyacinth, Uchendu Chukwuka Nwocha. Antifertility activities of aqueous ethanolic extract of Hymenocardia acida stem bark in female rats. Iranian J. Reproductive Med., 9(3); 2011: 217-222.
- Amit Agarwal, Joshua J Allan. Antifertility effects of herbs: Need for responsible reporting. J Ayurveda Integr Med., 1(2); 2010: 129-131.
- Gupta RS, Rakhi Sharma. A review on medicinal plants exhibiting antifertility activity in males. Nat Pro Rad., 5(5); 2006: 389-410.
- Umadevi M, Sampath Kumar PK, Debjit Bhowmik, Duraivel S. Medicinal Plants with Potential Antifertility Activity. J. Med. Plants Stud., 1(1); 2013: 26-33.
- Rajiv Rai, Vijendra Nath. Some lesser known oral herbal contraceptives in folk claims as anti-fertility and fertility induced plants in Bastar region of Chhattisgarh. J. Nat. Reme., 5(2); 2005: 153-159.
- Ghulam Mujtaba Shah, Mir Ajab Khan, Dr. Mushtaq Ahmad, Muhammad Zafar, Aftab Ahmed Khan. Observations on antifertility and abortifacient herbal drugs. African J. Biotech., 8 (9); 2009: 1959-1964.
- Amit agarwal, Joshua. Antifertility effects of herbs: need for responsible reporting. J. Ayur. & Inte. Med., 1(2); 2010: 129-131.
- Rajandeep Kaur, Anil Sharma, Ravinder Kumar Rajeev Kharb. Rising Trends towards Herbal Contraceptives. J. Nat. Prod. Plant Resour., 1 (4); 2011: 5-12.
- Stalin.C, Vivekanandan. K, Bhavya.E. Medicinal Plants with Antifertility Activity-An Overview. Global J. Med. res. Pharma, Drug Dis. Toxi. & Med., 13(2); 2013: 1-3.
- Alqasim Abdullahi Mustapha. Ethno- medicinal field study of anti-fertility medicinal plants used by the local people in Keffi Local Government, Nasarawa State, Nigeria. Int. J. Med. Plants Res., 2(5); 2013: 215-218.
Abstract Views: 112
PDF Views: 4