Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Physico-Chemical Characteristics and Antibacterial Activity of Chitosan Extracted from Shell of Crab Paratelphusa hydrodromous
In this study, chitosan was extracted from fresh water crab Paratelphusa hydrodromous shells. In order to determine physico-chemical characteristics of the extracted chitosan, the yield, water and fat binding capacities were measured. In addition, the antibacterial activity of chitosan against Yersinia ruckeri fish pathogenic bacteria was investigated in this study. The results showed that chitosan solution at 0.5 g/kg markedly inhibited the growth of Yersinia ruckeri fish pathogenic bacteria. The results of the study indicate that crab shells are a rich source of chitosan as 38.23 of the shell's dry weight is consisted of this material. Extracted chitosan were exhibited a lower molecular weight and higher water and fat binding capacities Overall, the results indicated that chitosan was a potential bactericide against bacterial fish pathogen yersinia ruckeri.
Chitosan, Paratelphusa hydrodromous, Physicochemical Characteristics, Antibacterial Activity, Yersinia ruckeri.
- Knorr D. Use of chitinous polymers in food-A challenge for food research and development. Food Technology. 38; 1984: 85-97.
- No HK and Meyers SP. Crawfish chitosan as a coagulant in recovery of organic compounds from seafood processing streams. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 37(3); 1989: 580-583.
- Ruiz-Herrera J. The distribution and quantitative importance of chitin in fungi. In: Edited by R. A. A. Muzzarelli, E. R. Pariser. Proceedings of the first international conference on chitin/chitosan. MIT Sea Grant Report MITSG78-7, Index No. 78-307-Dmb Cambridge: Massachusetts Institute of Technology. 1978; pp. 11-21.
- Knorr D. Functional properties of chitin and chitosan. Journal of Food Science. 47; 1982: 593-595.
- Yen MT. Yang JH and Mau JL. Physicochemical characterization of chitin and chitosan from crab shells. Carbohydrate Polymers. 75; 2009: 15-21.
- Chung YC. Wang HL. Chen YM. and Li SL. Effect of abiotic factors on the antibacterial activity of chitosan against waterborne pathogens. Bioresource Technology. 88; 2003: 179-184.
- Devlieghere F. Vermeulen A and Debevere J. Chitosan: Antimicrobial activity, interactions with food components and applicability as a coating on fruit and vegetables. Food Microbiology. 21; 2004: 703-714.
- Anderson DP and Siwicki AK. Duration of protection against Aeromonas salmonicida in brook trout immunostimulated with glucan or chitosan by injection or immersion. The Progressive Fish-Culturist. 56; 1994: 258-261.
- Siwicki AK. Anderson DP and Rumsey GL Dietary in- take of immunostimulants by rainbow trout affects non-specific immunity and protection against furunculosis. Vetinary Immunology Immunopathology. 41; 1994: 125-139.
- Johnson EL. and Peniston. Q.P. Utilization of shellfish waste for chitin and chitosan production. In Chemistry and Biochemistry of Marine Food Products edited by Martin RE. Flick GJ. Hebard CE. Ward DR. AVI Publishing:Westport, CT. Chapter 19; 1982.
- Green JH. and Mattick JF. Fishery waste management. In Food Processing Waste Management, Edited by Green, J.H. and Kramer, A. AVI Publishing Co. Westport, CT. 1979; pp 202-227.
- Madhavan, P., and Nair, K.G.R. (1974). Utilization of prawn waste isolation of chitin and its conversion to chitosan. Fish Technology 11: 50-53.
- Black CA Methods of Soil Analysis: Part I physical and mineralogical properties. American Society of Agronomy, Madison, Wisconsin. 1965.
- Wang JC and Kinsella JE. Functional properties of novel proteins: Alfalfa leaf protein. Journal of Food Science. 41;1976: 286-292.
- Zheng LY. Zhu JF. Study on antimicrobial activity of chitosan with different molecular weights. Carbohydrate Polymer. 54; 2003: 527-530.
- Hongpattarakere T and Riyaphan O. Effect of deacetylation conditions on antimicrobial activity of chitosans prepared from carapace of black tiger shrimp (Penaeus monodon). Songklanakarin. Journal of Science and Technology. 30(1); 2008: 1-9.
- Kamil JYVA. Jeon YJ. and Shahidi F. Antioxidative activity of chitosan of different viscosity in cooked comminuted flesh of herring (Clupea harengus), Food Chemistry. 79; 2002: 69-77.
- Tajik H. Moradi M. Rohani SMR. Efrani AM and Jalali FSS. Preparation of chitosan from brine shrimp (Artemia urmiana) cyst shells and effects of different chemical processing sequences on the physicochemical and functional properties of the product. Molecules. 13; 2008: 1263-1274.
- Rout SK. Physicochemical, functional, and spectroscopic analysis of crawfish chitin and chitosan as affected by process modification. Dissertation Louisiana State University: Baton Rouge, LA, USA. 2001.
- Cho YI. No HK. Meyers SP. Physicochemical characteristics and functional properties of various commercial chitin and chitosan products. Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry. 46; 1998:3839-3843.
- No HK. Kim S.H. Lee SH. Park NP and Prinyawiwatkul W. Stability and antibacterial activity of chitosan solutions affected by storage temperature and time. Carbohydrate Polymers. 65; 2006: 174-178.
- No HK. Lee SH. Park NY. Meyers SP. Comparison of physicochemical, binding, and antibacterial properties of chitosans prepared without and with deproteinization process. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry. 51; 2003: 7659-7663.
- Parasakthi MS. Extraction of chitin from two cephalopods. M.Sc., Dissertation, Annamalai University. India. 2004; p.18.
- Ohtakara AM. Izume M. and Mitsutomi. Action of microbial chitosanases on chitosan with different degrees of deacetylation. Agricultural and Biological Chemistry. 52; 1988: 3181-3182.
- No HK. Park NY. Lee SH and Meyers SP. Antibacterial activity of chitosan and chitosan oligomers with different molecular weights. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 74; 2002: 65-72.
- El-Ghaouth A. Ponnampalam R. Castaigne F. Arul J. Chitosan coating to extend the storage life of tomatoes. Horticulture Science. 27; 1992: 1016-1018.
- Kim CH. Kim SY. Choi KS. Synthesis and antibacterial activity of water-soluble chitin derivatives. Polymer Advanced Technology. 8; 1997: 319-325.
- Papineau AM. Hoover DG. Knorr D. Farkas DF. Antimicrobial effect of water-soluble chitosans with high hydrostatic pressure. Food Biotechnology. 5; 1991: 45-47
- Sudarshan NR. Hoover DG and Knorr D. Antibacterial action of chitosan. Food Biotechnology. 6;1992: 257-272.
- Jeon YJ. Park PJ and Kim SK. Antimicrobial effect of chitooligosaccharides produced by bioreactor. Carbohydrate Polymer. 44; 2001: 71-76.
- Ueno K. Yamaguchi T. Sakairi N. Nishi N. Tokura S. Antimicrobial activity by fractionated chitosan oligomers. In: Domard, A., Roberts, G.A.F. and Varum, K.M., Editors. Jacques Andre, Lyon, Advances in chitin Science. 2; 1997: 156-161.
Abstract Views: 155
PDF Views: 4