Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Pharmacological Activities of Benzimidazole Derivatives - An Overview
Benzimidazole derivates play vital role in biological field such as antimicrobial, antiviral, antidiabetic, and anticancer activity. Therapeutic Significance of these clinically useful drugs in treatment of microbial infections encouraged the development of some more potent and significant compounds. Benzimidazoles are remarkably effective compounds both with respect to their bacteria inhibitory activity and their favorable selectivity ratio. Extensive biochemical and pharmacological studies have confirmed that these molecules are effective against various strains of microorganisms. This comprehensive overview summarizes the chemistry of different derivatives of substituted benzimidazole along with their antimicrobial activity.
Substituted Benzimidazoles, Therapeutic Significance, Antimicrobial Activity
- Mishra AK, Gautam V, Gupta A, Bansal R, Bansal P, Kumar's, Gupta V, "Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of some newer benzimidazole derivatives- an overview", Journal of Pharmacy Research, 2010, 3 (2), 371-378.
- Ansari KF, Lal C, Synthesis, Physicochemical properties and antimicrobial activity of some new benzimidazole derivatives, European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2009, XXX, 1-6.
- Goker H, Kus C, Boykin DW, Yildiz S, Altanlar N, Synthesis and Antifungal Properties of some benzimidazoles derivatives, Bioorg. Med. chem., 2002, 10, 2589-2596.
- O' Niel MJ, Smith M, Heckelman PE, The Merck index, Ed. 13th, Merck & Co. Inc., New Jersey, 2001, 1785.
- Walia R, Hedaitullah Md, Naaz SF, Iqbal K, Lamba HS, Benzimidazoles derivatives - An overview, IJRPC, 2011, 1(3), 565-574.
- Patil A, Gaungaly S, and Surana S, A systemic review of benzimidazole derivatives as an antiulcer agent, Rasayan J. Chem., 2008, 1(3) , 447-460.
- Kubok k, Odak, Kaneko T, Sathoh H and Noraha A, Synthesis of 2 - (4 - sulfinyl) - 1H benzimidazole as antiulcer agent, chem. Pharma Bull., 1990, 38(10), 2863-2858.
- El-Nezhay AOH, Gaballah ST, Radwan MAA, Baiuomy RA and Abdel Salam ME, Structure based design of benzimidazole sugar Conjugates: synthesis, SAR and In vivo anti- inflammatory and analgesic activities : Medicinal chemistry, 2009, 5, 558 - 569.
- Uchida M, Chihiro M, Morita S, Yamashita H, Yamasaki K, Kanbe T, Yabuuchi Y, and Nakagawz K, Synthesis and antiulcer activity of 4 - substituted 8 - [(2-benzimidazoyl) Sulfinyl methyl] - 1,2,3,4 tetrahydroquino lines and related compounds, chem. Pharma Bull, 1990, 38(6), 1575-1586.
- Podunavac - Kuzmanovic SO and Cvetkovic DM, Antibacterial evaluation of some benzimidazole derivatives and their Zinc (II) complexes, J. Serb. Chem. Soc., 2007, 72(5), 459-466.
- Kazimierzuk Z, Upcroft JA, Upcroft P, Gorska A, Starosciak B and Laundy A, Synthesis antiprotozoal and antibacterial activity of nitro and halogeno substituted benzimidazole derivatives; Acta Biochimica Polonica, 2002, Vol. 49, no. 1, 185-195.
- Kumar RJ, Pathak DP, Synthesis of benzimidazole derivatives: As anti-hypertensive agents, E-Journal of chemistry, 2006, Vol.3, No.13, 278-285.
- Ansari KF and Lal C. Synthesis, Physicochemical properties and antimicrobial activity of some new benzimidazole derivatives, European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2009, 44, 4028-4033.
- Thakare PB, Ansari AJ, Synthesis and antiulcer, antisecretory activity of some new substituted 2-(Pyrimidinyl Sulfinyl) benzimidazole derivatives, IJRPBS 2011, Vol. 2(2), 695-700.
- Elnima EI, Zubair MU, and Al-Badr AA, Antibacterial and antifungal activities of benzimidazole and benzoxazole derivatives, Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 1981, Vol. 19, No.1, 29-32.
- Rathee PS, Dhankar R, Bhardwaj S, Gupta M and Kumar R, Synthesis and antimicrobial studies of Novel benzimidazole derivatives, Journal of Applied pharmaceutical science, 2011, 01(04), 127-130.
- Gurralas, Babu YR, Rao GV, Latha BM, Symmetrical coupling of 2-mercapto benzimidazole derivatives and their antimicrobial activity, Int. J. Pharma. Pharma. Sci., 2011, Vol. 3, issue 2, 217- 220.
- Panneer Selvem T, Radhikapp, Janagara JS and Kumar AS, Synthesis of novel 2-substituted benzimidazole derivatives as potential antimicrobial agents, Research in Biotechnology, 2011, 2(3), 50-57.
- Nirmal R, Shanmugapandiyan P, Denshing KS, Ilavarasan R, Anbalagan N, Synthesis and biological activity of 2-(Thiazolidine - 4- one) phenyl ] -1H-phenyl benzimnidazole and 2-[4- (azetidine-2-one)-3-cholor -4-phenyl]-1H-phenyl benzimidazoles, IJPSDR, 2010, 2(2), 115-119.
- Mishra PS, Shanmugasundaram P, Chaudhary R and Aanandhi MV, Synthesis of 2-phenyl benzimidazole derivatives and their schiff bases as possible antimicrobial agents, Rasayan. J. Chem., 2010, Vol.3, No.1, 51-54.
- Baviskar BA, Baviskar B, Shiradkar MR, Deokate UA, Khadabadiss, Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of some novel benzimidazolyl chalcones, E.J. Chem., 2009, 6(1), 196-200.
- Podunavac - Kuzmanovic SO and Cvetkovic DM, Antibacterial evaluation of some benzimidazole derivatives and their Zinc(II) complexes, J. Serb. Chem. Soc., 2007, 72(5) 459-466.
- El-masry HA, Fahmy HH, Abdewahe SHA, Synthesis and Antimicrobial activity of some new benzimidazole derivatives, Molecules, 2005, 5, 1429-1438.
- Kazimierczuk Z, Upcroft JA, Upcroft P, Gorska A, Starosciak B and Laundy A, Synthesis antiprotozoal and antibacterial activity of nitro and halogeno substituted banzimidazole derivatives; Acta Biochimicai Polonica, 2002, Vol. 49, No.1, 185-195.
- Lingala S, Nerella R, Rao KRSS, Synthesis, antimicrobial and anthelminitic activity of some novel benzimidazole derivatives, Der. Pharma, chemica, 2011, 3(4), 344-352.
- Kucukbay H, Yilmazu, Sireci N, Onganer AN, Synthesis and antimicrobial activities of some bridge bis-benzimidazole derivatives, Turk. J. Chem., 2011, 35, 561-571.
- Eisa HM, Barghash AM, Bard SM and Parahat AA, Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of certain benzimidazole and fused benzimidazole derivatives, Indian J. Chem., 2010, Vol. 49B, 1515-1525.
- Chhonker YS, Veenu B, Hasim Sr, kaushik N, Kumar D and Kumar P, Synthesis and Pharmacological evaluation oof some new 2-phenyl benzimidazole derivatives and their schiff bases, EJournal of Chemistry, 2009, 6(51), 5342-5346.
- Singh A and Patel KV, Synthesis, characterization and chelating properties of benzimidazole - salicylic acid combined molecule, Rasyan, J. Chem., 2009, Vol.2, No.4, 895-900.
- Sreena K, Ratheesh R, M Poornima M, and Shynic, Synthesis and anthelmintic activity of benzimidazole derivatives, HYGEIA, 2009, Vol.1, No.1, 21-22.
- Reddy BV, Singla RK, Bhat VG, Shenoy GG, Synthesis and antimicrobial studies of some novel benzimidazole derivatives, Asian J. Research Chem., 2009, 2(2), 162-167.
- Patil DN, Chaturvedi SC, Kale DL, Kakde RB, Dahikar SB, Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of some new benzimidazole derivatives, continental J. pharmaceutical science, 2008, 2, 44-48.
- Smith AA, Ibrahim KS, Parimala Krishna S, Muthu AK, Muthumani P, Antibacterial and antifungal activity of benzimidazole derivatives oif Ibuprofen, Quarterly Journal of Applied Chemistry, 2008, Vol. 1, No. 4, 7-12.
- Utku S, Gokce M, Dzcelik B, Bercini E, Evaluation of antimicrobial activity of 2- [(2-nitro-1-phenylalkyl) thiomethyl] benzimidazole derivatives, Turk J. Pharm. Science, 2008, 5(2), 107-116.
- Nirmal R, Shanmugapandiyan P, Denshing KS, Ilavarasan R, Anbalagan N, Synthesis and biological activity of 2- (Thiazolidina-4-one) phenyl ] -1H-phenyl benzimidazole and 2- [4-(Azetidin-2-one)-3-chloro-4-phenyl]-1H-phenyl benzimidazoles, IJPSDR, 2010, 2(2), 115-119.
- El-Nezhawy AOH, Gaballah ST, Radwan MAA, Baiuomy RA and Abdel-Salam ME, Structure based design of benzimidazole sugar conjugates, Synthesis, SAR and In vivo anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities, Medicinal Chemistry, 2009, 5, 558-569.
- Reddy BA, Synthesis, Characterization and biological evaluation of 1, 2 - disubstituted benzimnidazole derivatives using Mannich bases, E.J. chem., 2010, 7(1), 222-226.
- Nakanoh, Inoue T, Kawasaki N, Miyataka H, Matsumoita H, Taguchi T, Ingaki N, Nagal H and satoh T, Synthesis of benzimidazole derivatives as antiallergic agents with 5- Lipoxygenase inhibiting action, Chem. pharm. Bull., 1999, 47(11), 1573-1578.
- Thakare PB, Ansari AJ, Synthesis and antiulcer, antisecretory activity of some new substituted 2-(Pyrimidinyl sulfinyl) benzimidazole derivatives, IJRPBS, 2011, Vol. 2(2), 695-700.
- Yar MS, Abdullah MM, and Majeed J, In vitro antitubercular screening of newly synthesized benzimidazole derivatives, World Academy of Sciency, Engineering and Technology, 2009, 55, 593-599.
- Kus C, Altanlar N, Synthesis of some new benzimidazole Carbamate derivatives for evaluation of antifungal activity, Turk J. Chem., 2003, 27, 35-39.
- Kumar RJ, Pathak DP, Synthesis of benzimidazole derivatives, as anti-hypertensive agents, E-Journal of Chemistry, 2006, Vol.3, No.13, 278-285.
- Shingalapur RV, Hosamani KM, Keri RS, Hugtar MH, Derivatives of benzimidazole pharmacophore, Synthesis, anticonvulsant, antidiabetic and DNA cleavagl studies, European Journal of Medicinal chemistry, 2010, 45, 1753-1759.
Abstract Views: 449
PDF Views: 2