Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
A Study to Assess the Knowledge and Attitude Regarding Risk Factors and Prevention of Renal Calculi among Patients Admitted in the Selected Kidney Hospitals of Gujarat State with a View to Develop an Information Booklet
Introduction: Kidney stones are one of the common urological disorders. In India, every 1 out of 10 person is affected. Moreover, recurrent stone formation is common part of medical care leads to increase economic burden on patients. The etiology is multi factorial and is strongly related to neglecting healthy lifestyle. Hence, this study is undertaken to find out the knowledge and attitude of risk factors and prevention of renal calculi among patients admitted in selected kidney hospitals. Aims and Objectives: To assess the knowledge and attitude regarding risk factors and prevention of renal calculi among patients, moreover to find out the correlation between knowledge and attitude and also to find out if there is any association between knowledge and attitude with selected demographic variables and to develop an information booklet on the it. Materials and Methods: The study was conducted among 100 patients admitted in selected kidney hospitals using Simple Random Sampling technique. Data were obtained using structured knowledge questionnaire to assess knowledge and Likert’s attitude scale to assess attitude. Descriptive and inferential statistics were used to analyze the demographic data, structured knowledge questionnaire and Likert attitude scale. Karl Pearson formula is used to find correlation whereas the association is determined by using Chi square formula. Results and Conclusions: The study revealed that majority of patients (77%) had average knowledge and positive attitude (86%) regarding risk factors and prevention of renal calculi. There exist a positive moderate correlation (r =0.7) between knowledge and attitude. Study also revealed that there is significant association between knowledge and gender while no significant association found between attitude and other selected demographic variable.
Knowledge, Attitude, Risk Factors, Renal Calculi, Information Booklet.
- Basavanthappa B.T. (2007), Nursing Research (2nd ed.), New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.
- Basavanthappa, B. T. (2003), Nursing Research, New Delhi: J. P. Brothers.
- Black.J.M.et.al (2001) Medical Surgical Nursing,6th edition. Harcourtpvt Ltd, India:821-829.
- Indrani T. K. (2005), Research Methodology for Nurses, (1sted.). New Delhi:Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.
- Mahajan B. K. (2010), Methods in Biostatistics for Medical Students and Research workers, (7th ed.). New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.
- Nancy Burns and Grove Susan K. (2008), Understanding Nursing Research, (1sted.). New Delhi:Elsevier, A Division of Reed Elsevier India Private Limited.
- Ahmet Tefekli1 and Fatin Cezayirli,The History of Urinary Stones: In Parallel with Civilization, The Scientific World Journal,Volume 2013, Article ID 423964, September 2013.
- Asayas Bosco Chandra kumar, S. Rajasekaran, T. Ramchandradu, K.V.Maheswaran, Radhakrishnan and Balagurunathan, A Descriptive Study of Symptomatic Nephrolithiasis In A Tertiary Teaching Medical College Hospital, Journal of Current trends in Clinical Medicine & laboratory biochemistry, Volume 2, Issue 3, July-Sep 2014.
- Asha Kumari, Sumit Dokwal, Pawan Mittal, Rajender Kumar, Richa Goel, Piyush Bansal, Himanshu Devender Kumar and Jaikrit Bhutani,An Increase Incidence in Uric Acid Nephrolithiasis: Changing Patterns, Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. BC01-BC03, Vol-10(7), July 2016.
- AUB Pethiyagoda, K Pethiyagoda,Descriptive evaluation of ureteric urolithiasis between genders, International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, ISSN 2250-3153; Volume 6, Issue 6, June 2016.
- Dr.Abhijit Chakma, Renal Calculi: An Evidence Based Case Study, RA Journal of Applied Research ,ISSN (e): 2394-6709Volume-1,Issue-07,Pages-227-234, Aug- 2015.
- Fakhira Jaber Muhbes, Risk factors for renal stone formation: A field study, Health Science Journal, Volume 6, Issue 4, and October - December 2012.
- Giovanni Gambaro, Alberto Trinchieri, Recent advances in managing and understanding nephrolithiasis/ nephrocalcinosis, F1000 Research 2016, 5 (F1000 Faculty Rev):695 Last updated: 18 APR 2016.
- https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=6712 15. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/299543144emedicine.medscape.com/article/437096-treatment
- https://www.healthline.com/ health/kidney-stones
- https://www.ncbi.nlm .nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3313741/https://www.nature.com > subjects
- https://www. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ pubmed/8146606
Abstract Views: 70
PDF Views: 0