Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
An Experimental Study to Evaluate the Effectiveness of Sexual Assertiveness Training Program on Sexual Awareness and Sexual Assertiveness among Adolescents Attending Selected Schools in Madurai
Background of the study: Adolescence is a period of transition between childhood and adulthood. As the adolescents grow, their problems also increase due to failure in understanding the anatomical, developmental and psychological changes. Some react to this with excitement and some others experience shame, anxiety and guilt which lead to many sex related issues. Equipping them with adequate sexual information give them confidence and help them to know how to act in sexual difficult situations. Nurses play a pivotal role in creating sexual awareness and sexual assertiveness in adolescents. Aim: The aim of the study is to assess the effectiveness of sexual assertiveness training program on sexual awareness and sexual assertiveness among adolescents attending selected schools in Madurai. Methodology: Quasi experimental non equivalent pre test, post test and control group design was used for the study. The study was conducted in Amutham Higher Secondary school and CSI higher secondary school, Madurai. The setting of the study was selected using simple random sampling technique. A total of 250 school going adolescents were selected using inclusion and exclusion criteria, out of which 125 were in experimental group and control group each. The conceptual framework for the study was based on Ernestine Wiedenbach’s “The helping art of clinical nursing theory” (1964). Tools used were questionnaire on sexual awareness, 5 point likert scale on sexual assertiveness and situational questionnaire on sexual assertiveness. The sexual assertiveness training programme was administered over 2 hours in a week for 5 consecutive weeks. Data was analyzed using descriptive and inferential statistics. Results: The sexual assertiveness training programme was effective in improving school going adolescents sexual awareness (pre test, post test comparison t = 7.157, P < 0.001, Post test comparison t = 3.286, P < 0.001) sexual assertiveness (pre test, Post test comparison t = 13.397, P < 0.001, Post test comparison t = 6.749, P < 0.001) sexual assertiveness according to situational questions (Pre test comparison t = 8.839, P < 0.001, Post test comparison t = 5.38, P < 0.001). There was a significant positive relationship found between sexual awareness and sexual assertiveness (r = 0.41). Conclusion: Sexual awareness and sexual assertiveness of school going adolescents were not adequate to protect themselves. Study findings conclude that sexual assertiveness training programme was effective in improve sexual awareness and sexual assertiveness among school going adolescents.
Adolescents, Sexual Assertiveness, Sexual Awareness, Sexual Assertiveness Training Program).
- Agarwal, K.N., Agarwal, D.K. (2011). The Growth Infancy to Adolescence. (2nd edn.). CBS Publishers and Distributors: New Delhi.
- Agarwal., Amita Suneja. (2003). Paediatric and Adolescent Gynaecology. . Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd: New Delhi.
- Annamma Jacob. (2009). Maternal and Neonatal Nursing care Plans. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd: New Delhi.
- Basavanthappa .B.T. (2006). Text Book o f Midwifery and Reproductive health Nursing. NewDelhi: Jaypee brothers publishers.
- Basavanthappa, B.T. (2010). Essentials of Nursing Research. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd: New Delhi.
- Lowdermilk., Perry., Cashion. et al., (2012). Maternity and Womens Health Care. (10th edn.). Reed Elsevier India Private Limited: Harayana.
- Mahajan, B.K. (2010). Methods in Biostatistics. (7th edn.). Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd: New Delhi.
- Mahajan. B.K. (1991). Methods in Biostatistics. NewDelhi, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers.
- Makhija. (2010). Introduction to Nursing Research. A.P. Jain and Co.
- Manivannan, C. (2010). Text Book of Paediatric Nursing. Emmess Medical Publishers, Bangalore.
- Nair, MKC: Adolecents sexual and Reproductive Health. Indiuan Pediuatyrics. 2004, 41:1-8.
- Nair. MKC (2006), Sexual Reproductive health of young people. NewDelhi: Jaypee brothers publishers.
- Pillitteri. (2010). Maternal Child Health Nursing. (6th edn.). Lippincott, Philadelphia: Newyork.
- Polit., Cheryl Tatano Bech. (2012). Nursing Research. (9th edn.). Lippincott, Philadelphia: Newyork.
- UNICEF Skills-Based Health Education to prevent HIV/AIDS NewYor: UNICEF.(2009).
- Akinteya.(2010). Guidelines for comprehensive sexuality education in Nigeria. Journal of Adolescence. 34(4):675-84.. Pg.No. 77.
- Anwar, M. Sulaiman SAS, et al., (2010). Awareness of school students on sexually transmitted infections and their sexual behavior in Malaysia. Journal of Adolescent: 10(47).
- Baldo, M. (1993). Does sex education lead to earlier sexual activity in youth. American journal of nursing, 14, 50-57.
- Bola O. Makinde and Akin Jonathan Akinteya.(2014). Effects of mentoring and sexual assertiveness training on adolescents self Esteem in Lagos State secondary schools. International Journal of Social Science studies Vol. 2 No.3.
- Buga, G.A., Amoko, D.H.(1996). Adolescent sexual behavior, knowledge and attitudes to sexuality among school girls in Transkei, South Africa: African Medical Journal. Feb. 73(2): 95-100.
- Calvin Gwandure., Matsjodosp Maseko. The effects of an assertiveness training program on sexual self concept among school going adolescent. Journal of American science 2011; 7 (12):454-466. http://www.americanscience.org.
- Gold RB and Nah E, State-level policies on sexuality, STD education, The Guttmacher Report on public policy, 2001, 4(4):4-7.
- Gupta .N. et al. (2004). Reproductive health awareness of school going umarried adolescents. Indian Journal of Paediatrics, 71: 797 - 801.
- Hensel.J., Fortenberry.J, O’Sullivan .R (2010). The developmental association of sexual self-concept with sexual behaviour among adolescent women. Journal of Adolescence. 34 (4): Pg. No. 675-84.
- Kotecha, P.V., Patel, S. et al., (2009). Reproductive health awareness among rural school going adolescents of Vadodara district: 30;94-9
- Kumar .R. et al. (2000). Adolescent behavior regarding reproductive health. Indian Journal of Paediatrics, 67: 877 - 82.
- Laflin. M.T., Wang.J. (2006). Longitudinal study of adolescent transition from virgin to non virgin status. Journal of adolescents vulnerable to HIV/STI. AIDS and Behaviour. (10). Pg. No. 723- 729.
- Lema .VM. Hassan MA. (1994). Knowledge of sexually transmitted disease. Journal of Medical Publishers, 71: 122 - 8.
- Levy B, Dating Violence: Young Women in Danger, Seattle: Seal Press, 1998; and Watts. C and Zimmerman C, Violence against women: global scope and magnitude, Lancet, 2002. 359 (9313): 1232-1237.
- Michelson, Randy Wood. Child Behavior therapy. A group assertive training program for elementary school children. Volume 2, Issue 1, 1980.
- Nair, M.K., Paul, M.K. (2012).Effectiveness of a reproductive sexual health education package among school going adolescents. Indian J Pediatric. Jan ;79 Suppl; 1 : S64-8.
- Nightingale Nursing Times. (2009). Awareness of adolescents girls about sex and teenage pregnancy. Vol.5, No.3: 10 - 18.
- Ramadugu, S. Ryali .V Understanding sexuality among Indian urban school adolescents.. ind Psychiatry Journal. (2011) Jan: 20 (1): 49-55.
- Rickert.I, Rupal. (2002). Is Lack of sexual assertiveness among adolescent and young adult women a cause for concern. Journal of adolescence. 34 (4): Pg. No. 790 - 804.
- Seena Abraham. Journal of Social work Education and practice. International Peer reviewed journal : Volume 1. Issue 1.
- http://www.mohfw.nic.in/NRHM/Documents/ ARSH
- Patricia East Joyce Adams. July 1, (2002). https://doi.org/10.1363/3421202.
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15519449 444
Abstract Views: 4
PDF Views: 0