Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Relationship between the Level of Assertiveness and Academic Performance among Arts and Science College students
Introduction: Assertiveness is the important social skill which promotes personal well-being. Lack of assertiveness leads to lack of confidence, low self-esteem and poor academic performance. Hence the study was conducted with the aim to relate the assertiveness with academic performance. Methods: Non-experimental descriptive study was chosen to conduct a study in selected arts and Science College with 60 samples. The tools used for the study was Assertiveness scale and Academic performance scale. Results: The results revealed that out of 60 samples, 4(6.7%) were situationally assertive, 26(43.3%) were somewhat assertive, 30(50%) were assertive. In assessing the academic performance 23(38.3%) had good performance, 34(56.7%) had moderate performance, and 3(5%) had poor performance. The study findingalso shows that there is a positive relationship between the level of assertiveness and academic performance. Conclusion: The present study concluded that there is a lack of assertiveness among students which directly or indirectly affect their academic performance of the students. It is necessary that every school or college should provide the assertive training program to face the challenges and cope up with the current situation in the world.
Assertiveness, Academic Performance, Students.
- Mahmoudi GH, Azimi H, Zarghami M. The effect of assertiveness training on anxiety and assertiveness in nursing students. Journal of Gorgan University of Medical Sciences. 2005;14:66-72.
- Schinke SP. Behavioral methods in social welfare: Helping children, adults, and families in community settings. 2nd ed. New Brunswick: AldineTransaction; 2008.
- Seyedfatemi N, KhoshnavayeFumani F, Behbahani N, Hoseini F. Assertiveness skill and use of Ecstasy among Iranian adolescents. Fundamentals of Mental Health. 2009;4:265-72
- Barnette V. (2009). Assertive Communication. University Counseling Service. The University of Iowa.
- Johnson T, Vernon TJr, Thompson R, Jones E. Systematic desensitization and assertive training in the treatment of speech anxiety in middle-school students. Psychol Schools. 1971; 8: 263-267.
- Schwartz D (2000). Subtypes of victims and aggressors in children's peer groups. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology.2000; 28: 181-192.
- Aghajani M. Investigating assertiveness and it’s relation with anxiety in nursing and midwifery students [thesis] Tehran (Iran): Tehran University of Medical Sciences; 2009.
- W.M.Parray and Sanjay Kumar. Assertiveness among undergraduate students of the University”. The International Journal of Indian Psychology, 2016;4(1):283-291.
- V. Hemavathy, C.Meribha Christy. A descriptive study to assess the assertiveness skill among PG Nursing Students.Best Journals.2016;4(1):29-32.
- Ghada A. Eldeeb, Nermine M. Eid, Entsar K. Eldosoky. Assertiveness and Stress among Undergraduate Nursing Students at Menoufyia University. International Knowledge Sharing Platform. 2014;4(4):30-37.
- Anjani Devi Nelavala, G.Deepika, MerinBabu. A study to assess The assertiveness among Second Year Bsc Nursing Students in Narayana Nursing Institution, Nellore. 2016;(6): 5542-5544.
- Ghodrati F, Tavakoli P, Heydari N, Akbarzadeh M. Investigating the relationship between Self esteem, assertiveness and Academic Achievement in Female High School Students. Health Science Journal. 2016;10(4:9):1-5.
- NR Prakash, S. Nirmala Devi. Assertiveness Behaviour of Undergraduate Students. Scholarly Research Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies. 2015;8(16):2566-2575.
- Disney Sabatina, Mahjabean Begum, Anumol Joseph. Assessment of assertiveness and self-esteem among B.Sc(N) first year students a Selected Nursing College of Hyderabad. Journal of Psychiatric Nursing, 2018;7(1):5 - 8.
- VellaDurai N. A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Teaching Programme on Social Anxiety among Adolescents in Selected Schools at Puliangudi, Thirunelveli District, Tamilnadu. Asian Journal of Nursing Education. 2011;1(2): 68-70.
Abstract Views: 5
PDF Views: 0