Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Effect of Emotional Intelligence Training on Emotional Intelligence of Graduate Nursing Students
Emotional Intelligence (EI) is fundamental to the nursing profession because it facilitates the processing of emotional information for individualized and improved patient care through effective communication and therapeutic relationships. Objectives: To identify the Emotional Intelligence level of graduate nursing students, To analyse the effect of emotional intelligence training on emotional intelligence of graduate nursing students pre and post intervention & to correlate the dimension of EI and the total EI of graduate nursing students. Methods: Descriptive study with experimental design was used. Total 30 BSc Graduate Nursing students from selected college were selected through purposive sampling. Pre test was done using modified emotional quotient test scale. Intervention of 2 hrs of emotional intelligence training session was administered. After 1 week post test was conducted. Descriptive and statistical analysis was carried out. Results: There was a moderate correlation among all the parameters. Competency was positively correlated to sensitivity. There was significant correlation between Dimensions and overall EQ. The computed t value shows that there wass significant correlation between overall Emotional Quotient and dimensions such as sensitivity (t=6.6), maturity (t =7.4), competency (t=10.2) at 0.05 level of significance. The mean post test values sensitivity = 90, maturity = 124, competence = 185, overall EQ = 399 were higher than mean pre test values sensitivity = 86.1, maturity = 110.8, competence = 166, overall EQ = 363. The computed t value sensitivity = 2.1, maturity = 5.8, competence = 5.6, overall EQ = 7.52 was more than the table value at 0.05 level of significance, which shows there is significant relationship between emotional intelligence scores pre and post intervention. Thus emotional intelligence training is effective on increasing emotional intelligence (EQ).
Emotional Intelligence, Training, Emotional Maturity, Emotional Competency and Emotional Sensitivity, Graduate Nursing Students.
- Anupama Deepak, Dr. Karpagam Krishnamoorthy. Emotional Intelligence- A Questionnaire Based Study. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(7):772-774
- Youshida K. Emotional development. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2005. p.356.
- Abisamra NS. The relationship between emotional intelligence and academic achievement in eleventh graders. J Educ psychol [serial online] 2000 Mar [cited 2012 Dec 14]; 16(7):21-39. Available from: http://www.nadasisland.com/research-intell2.html
- Cherniss C. Emotional Intelligence: What it is and why it matters. J Psychiatry [serial online] 2000 Apr [cited 2012 Dec 31]; 12(6):45-56 Available from: http://www.eiconsortium.org/reports/what_is_emotionalintelligence.html.
- Mayer JD, Salovey P. Emotional intelligence and construction and regulation of feelings. Appl Prev Psychol 1995;4(3):197-208.
- Mayer JD,Salovey P, Caruso DR. What is Emotionalintelligence? J sport psychology [serial online] 2002 [cited 2012 Sept 30]; 63(6):503-7 Available from:http://heblat.research.yale.edu/pub_pdf/pub55_measuringemotionalintelligencewiththeMSCEITV2.0.pdf
- Melo L. Understanding Emotional Intelligence in Business. Long Island City: LaGuardia Community College; 2007 [cited 2012 Sept 21] Available from: URL:www.eportfolio.lagcc.cuny.edu/.../Emotional%20Intelligence.doc
- Mayer JD. Personality,personal expression,and the situation. Journal of Research in Personality [serial online] 2009 [cited 2012 Aug 30]; 43(2):57 Available from: URL:http://www.unh.edu/personalitylab/Reprints/RP2009-Mayerb.pdf.
- Palmer, Benjamin R, Manocha, Ramesh, Gignac, Gilles E. et. al. Personality and individual differences. [serial online] 2003 [cited Nov 15]; 35(5):1191-210 Available from: http://www.researchbank.swinburne.edu.au
- Hassan A, Sulaiman T, Ishak R. Philosophy Underlying Emotional Intelligence in Relation to Level of Curiosity and Academic Achievement of Rural Area Students. Journal of Social Science [serial online] 2009 [cited 2012 Jul 31]; 5(2):95-103 Available from: http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17641403
- Sharan P, Sagar R. The Need for National Data on Epidemiology of Child and Adolescent Mental Disorders. J Indian Assoc Child Adolesc Ment Health [serial online] 2008 [cited 2012 Aug 30]; 4(2):22-7 Available from: http://www.jiacam.org/0402/EDIT0402.pdf
- Vidya Bhagat, Nordin Bin Simbak, Kamarudin Jaalam. Promoting Awareness of Emotional Development to Endorse Emotional Competence. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(7): 3216-3218.
- Proloyendu Bhoumick. It’s Really Matter: Review of the book, Emotional Intelligence: Why it can matter more than IQ’ by Daniel Goleman. Res. J. Humanities and Social Sciences. 2018; 9(3): 639-644.
- Nita. Academic Intelligence is related to Emotional Intelligence. Journal of Indian Psychology [serial online] 2008 Jun 25 [cited 2012 Sep 20]; 24(7):23-30. Available from: URL:http://nitawriter.wordpress.com/2008/06/25/academic-intelligence-is-related-to- emotional-intelligence/
- Vimal Kishor. Development of Emotional Maturity among Students. Int. J. Rev. & Res. Social Sci. 3(3): July- Sept., 2015; Page 106-110.
- Yahaya A, Ee NS, Yahaya N, Boon Y. Impact of emotional intelligence element on academic achievement. Archives Des Sciences, [serial online] 2012 Apr [cited 2012 Oct 21]; 65(4):2-17 Available from: http://eprints.utm.my/25128/1/3.pdf
- Edward E. Atkinson RL, Hilgard ER. Atkinson and Hilgard’s Introduction to Psychology. 14th ed. USA: Thomson Wadworth Publication; 2010. p. 438.
- Sabina Hodzic, Jana Scharfen, Pilar Ripoll, Heinz Holling, Franck Zenasni. How Efficient are Emotional Intelligence Trainings: A Metaanalysis. Emotion Review ■ September 2017. DOI:10.1177/1754073917708613
- Ezra C. Holston, Janette Y. Taylor. Emotional Intelligence in Nursing Students.Describing Emotional Intelligence in the Last 2 Years of a BSN Program. International Journal of Advances in Psychology (IJAP) Volume 5, 2016.doi: 10.14355/ijap.2016.05.003
- R. P. Das, Tapas Lata Sahu. Relationship between Demographic Variables and Emotional Intelligence among Bank Employees- A Study. Asian J. Management 5(2): April-June, 2014 page 196-201.
- Ina Sood, Shyam L. Kaushal. Emotional Intelligence and Leadership Styles: A Study of Educational Leaders in Himachal Pradesh. Asian Journal of Management. 2018; 9(1):419-426.
- Sukhbir Kaur, Triza Jiwan. An Exploratory Study to Assess Emotional Intelligence and Performance of Students of Selected Nursing Institute, Ludhiana, Punjab. Asian J. Nur. Edu. & Research 4(3): July- Sept., 2014; Page 346-351.
- Lekshmi MS, SreejaI, Premini S. Emotional Intelligence and Wellbeing among Adolescents. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2018; 6(2): 145-150.
- Shahida. Emotions and Passions Leading to Rise and Fall of Leaders: A Study of Shakespeare’s Antony and Cleopatra. Research J. Humanities and Social Sciences. 5(1): January-March, 2014, 93-98.
- Kyung-Sook Kim. Factors Influencing on the Spiritual well-being among Korean nursing students. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(4): 1541-1546.
- Susmriti Sahu, Khan Abrar Uz Zaman Khan. Moderating Role of Perceived Organizational Support on the Relationship between Emotional Intelligence and Organizational Commitment. Asian J. Management 5(2): April-June, 2014 page 202-204.
Abstract Views: 36
PDF Views: 0